PDA

View Full Version : Collector car insurance

silverbird
February 12th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Hello everyone,
Has anyone heard of or used JC Taylor antique auto insurance? or Hagerty collector car insurance. I am intrigued by the lower annual rates but I need to be confident that the insurance is credible if I am going to take my kids for a cruise. thanks

Sean

Jeff W
February 12th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I haven't used either of those companies. I talked to my current carrier, American Family Insurance, and the gave me a really good price on my '63. They said it would have to be professionally appraised, which costs around $300. I would save that much in my first year of premiums but I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. There were also some restrictions such as maximum annual mileage and not using it for a commuter vehicle. You may want to ask your current carrier what they have to offer. They may be eager to keep your business.

Luva65wagon
February 12th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I use Hagarty and have had no claims, so I can't tell you how good they would be to work with in a real "situation", but I did some research before going with them and found nothing but good things said about them. They took my value no questions asked -- no $300 appraisal needed. I did have to send them some recent pictures from all sides, which satisfied their needs apparently. There are downsides to collector car insurance; like, no daily drivers, no parking it out on the street at night (it must have a garage for it at all times) and a few other things I can't recall this late at night. Anyway, if it's for anything close to a show car, this is the way to go. I pay $105 a year for full coverage. I paid just over $500 a year through Pemco (full coverage as well).

pbrown
February 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I looked at some. The car must be kept in a garage. There is an anual mileage cap (5K I think). No racing and no NOS.

silverbird
February 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Thank you Roger and Patrick for your helpful information about insurance. Since I do not use my Falcon as a daily driver anymore, I cannot see paying high monthly premiums. I also have recently obtained collector plates. Off the subject a little ,but I wanted to endorse Jake, at Original falcon interiors. He did a superb job recovering my seats in the original Rangoon red. I did the carpet and thats another story. Hope to see you guys at a meeting in the future. thanks again.

Sean

silverbird
February 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Sorry Jeff, A thank you for your response as well.

Sean

Jerry Kirby
February 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Sean,

I am just about ready to do the carpet on my '65. The one I am going to install is supposed to be already cut to size. Can you give me any insight into the install ? Any pitfalls, etc. I was wondering if any one knows an easy way to mark the holes for the seat belts etc. and now I am totally off the original thread.

silverbird
February 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Hi Jerry,

Installing my carpet didn't turn out as bad as it was looking. I had some issues with my rear carpet peice which came up short. I was able to use my wife's clothing steamer to stretch it. I also spent time smoothing all the wrinkles out. I would use some 3m spray adhesive to tack the corners down and carpet to the padding. Lining up the seatbelt mounts was a little tricky. I would start from one side making sure you have enough carpet to tuck under each threshhold plate before you cut the holes in the carpet. I cut a small hole in the carpet over the mount and pushed it down over whick made a snug fit. I have heard that some people spray down the carpet first to relax it for a better fit. I hope this helps you. Dont,t forget to walk away for a while if you get frustrated.

Sean

Luva65wagon
February 22nd, 2008, 11:50 PM
Hey Jerry, I usually lay out the carpet and then take a poker, like a toad stabber, to locate the hole edges, then a sharp knife into the hole and cut a perfect circle, using the hole as a guide. Helps to find screw holes as well. Larger holes, I try to leave that to precise measurements from key components, or if, like a shifter hole, you can get a rough location to start and then pull the carpet over and continue to trim away a little at a time until it is all the way down.

cometcougar
February 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I just put new carpet in my Comet this weekend. All went well. One way I do holes is by using a soldering iron to actually melt through the carpet - such as the holes where the front seat tracks go through the floor, seat belt holes, etc. The heat sort of "cauterizes" the loops so they don't unravel.

pbrown
February 24th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Guys,

If we are going to talk carpet, let's start a new thread. This topic is for insurance.

Sedanman
February 25th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Silverbird,

I have ANPAC insurance, and when added up I think the falcon costs me less than $10/month for full coverage. I don't do it so much for the full coverage (my car's only valued at about $3k right now, and I've got more than double that into it), but the cheap rates since I drive it so little. The only catch is you have to have another car on the same policy as a daily driver, and the collector car has to be in a secure garage space.

Luva65wagon
February 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Thor,

I think this is common with them all. I guess you can't ride a bicycle to work and own a collector car, can you?

Sounds like they're all hitting about the same cost.

Sedanman
February 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Hi Roger,

I think they are all about the same price, but I've heard ANPAC does not offer the best coverage, so I've been waiting until I get a new daily driver to compare/change companies.

When I put the falcon in storage a few years back for the winter during a move I checked into dropping the coverage, but they don't allow you to drop coverage on a car and then start it up again. Being it was less than 10 bucks a month I didn't bother.

Davemutt
July 1st, 2008, 10:59 AM
You might ask your insurance agent. My regular carrier is State Farm. When I told them I was going to switch one of my cars to Haggerty, they informed me they do offer collector car insurance. It ended up being about $70 a year.

Nathan289
July 1st, 2008, 11:38 AM
I have haggerty as well for my falcons.
Like roger they have an agreed apon value that requires some pictures of the vehicles and a picture of where they are kept. They wanted a picture of the garage..

I have no milage restrictions and it was much cheaper than my normal insurance carrier.. I think it is less than $200 for a year for two cars..

They don't like customs though and it was difficult to get coverage on the ranchero because of the "custom body work"

Nathan

63Sedan
July 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I use Hagerty as well, I couldn't be happier. I usually end up BS'ing about cars every time I have to call for maybe half an hour. I can honestly say it's the one bill each yeah I am more than happy to pay. I've got some other cars with them so adding my Falcon cost me a whole 16 bucks a year. It's already paid for itself 10 times over.
A year or two ago I got a crack in my windshield and called them up, zero deductible to get it replaced! Had it done at a Mustang place down in Bellevue, the guy there doesn't work through insurance but that wasn't a problem. I got an estimate and they cut me a check to cover it no questions asked. When it ended up costing more than the original estimate, they over-nighted me another check for the difference, again, no questions asked. They were both helpful in finding me a specialty shop that would know how to replace the windshield (most normal glass places don't even know how to do old cars anymore) and genuinely concerned that I had things done correctly.

Luva65wagon
July 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I never even thought to look when I cracked my windshield a couple years ago on my wagon to see if it was covered by Hagerty.

:doh:

63Sedan
July 14th, 2011, 02:24 PM
D'oh! Wish I had thought about asking if you had Hagerty the other night when I was over there the other night.