PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Futura door weatherstrip

63roundbody
May 1st, 2022, 03:08 PM
Hello all,
I have a 63 Futura and am replacing the door weatherstrip. On the bottom of the door there is a sheet metal channel the holds the weatherstrip. Mine is rotted out, has anyone made a new one or have any other solutions? If anyone has made one can you please tell me what you used and do you have the dimensions?

Thanks
Tom

BadBird
May 2nd, 2022, 02:30 PM
Tom, I had the same problem on my 64. I bought some flat sheet, cutout the width I needed and formed it to match the channel that I cut off the door. I used a long straight piece of steel and rounded one edge to create the inside radius of the channel. I didn't measure it, I just made it the same width. I made it look exactly like the old channel, but I didn't really need to put in all time and effort to make the scallops. I drilled holes in the channel and welded it to the bottom of the door. I met a guy at the Reno Hot August nights that told me he just cutout off the channel and attached the weatherstripping using the black adhesive. Probably would work, but I made the channels instead.
Larry

63roundbody
May 4th, 2022, 08:33 AM
Tom, I had the same problem on my 64. I bought some flat sheet, cutout the width I needed and formed it to match the channel that I cut off the door. I used a long straight piece of steel and rounded one edge to create the inside radius of the channel. I didn't measure it, I just made it the same width. I made it look exactly like the old channel, but I didn't really need to put in all time and effort to make the scallops. I drilled holes in the channel and welded it to the bottom of the door. I met a guy at the Reno Hot August nights that told me he just cutout off the channel and attached the weatherstripping using the black adhesive. Probably would work, but I made the channels instead.
Larry

Thank you very much, I thought that may be what I have to do.

Thanks again
Tom