PDA

View Full Version : 63 Falcon Gasser Build

BadBird
May 27th, 2021, 09:51 PM
Starting a new thread for my 63 Falcon Gasser. I have the wheels ordered, back order of course. I have finally decided on the rear suspension. I am going to use Cal Trac's traction system with split mono-leaf springs and 9 way adjustable shocks.
I can't look for, or buy a rear housing until I get the dimensions from the new wheels for correct location in the wheel wells. I do know the back spacing is 3 3/4 so maybe I can figure this out using the old rear end width. More to come on that for sure.
The next step after getting the rear end stance, location is to determine how high the front end straight axle will be.
I will soon change my picture on my posts to the new car. Larry

Luva65wagon
May 30th, 2021, 12:03 AM
I have to tell you Larry - WE NEED PICTURES! :) The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

BadBird
May 31st, 2021, 02:28 AM
Not much has changed on this project. These photos most of you have seen before and I haven't done a lot while waiting on the wheels I ordered. I also ordered the CalTracs, mono leaf springs and rear shocks. Taken a few things off the car but trying to leave the weight there to correctly set the rear end ride height. As soon as I get the rear wheels I can get the tires and determine the rear end width and order it, axles and gearing. Larry764976507651

BadBird
June 1st, 2021, 01:09 AM
Here are some of the things I have ordered. Couldn't get the mono-leaf springs to show up. Larry7655765676577658

Tom P
June 4th, 2021, 12:15 AM
How wide a wheel and what tires? That is similar backspace to my 15 x 8 1/2" TorgueThrusts and with tires that bulge to 11" a 50" overall rear end width worked out.

BadBird
June 4th, 2021, 03:29 PM
Tom, thanks for the info. I haven't got the wheels yet, but the rear wheels are 15 X 8 1/2 with 3 3/4 backspacing. I am going to install Cooper GT Cobra 275-60R15 tires. Those are the same tires my brother uses on his 64 Fairlane and I like those. They do not bulge much but are about 10" wide. As soon as I get those wheels and tires I will verify clearance then measure for axle to axle dimension to get the rear end width.
It may be necessary to mini-tub the car, but I do intend to cutout the wheel wells and install the same fender style cutouts that Roger did on his Ranchero. His looks great. So, it doesn't matter if the tires stick out a little ways. Old school gasser look anyway. It would be great if a standard 50" width 9" will fit. It will make it a lot easier to decide once I get the wheels. Right now, they are back ordered and scheduled for shipment from Summit on June 27th. Front wheels are 15 x 4 1/2 and supposed to ship June 6th. We'll see.
But, I have been real busy on other things so not killing me to wait. As soon as I get the delivery, I will take pictures, get dimensions and get back to ya'll for more input and help.
Thanks again. Larry

Tom P
June 5th, 2021, 10:31 AM
Same size tires i have but mine are BF Goodrich. They bulge to 10 1/2" For sure need to move the springs inward and widen the inner wells. I moved my Ranchero's springs in 2" and notched the frame rails for the spring front mounts. Uses the same bolt hole in the inner wall of the frame but now the spring sits against it instead of the bolt passing all the way through the frame rail into the hanger outside the frame. I extended those original front mounts 2" to meet up with the rocker. The frame rail is boxed in so the spring is now inline with it. The inner wheelwells are up against the vertical surface of the frame rail. The top flange cut away and that widens them about 1 1/2" which is just enough. When i got the car it had 215/60-14's that were rubbing!

BadBird
June 7th, 2021, 11:16 PM
I talked to a couple of gasser guys from South East Gassers that have Falcons. They are not allowed to run 4 links, only old school type ladder bars or leaf springs. They didn't need to move the leaf springs but the tires stick out. The one guy has 9" slicks the other runs 10" slicks. He also said he did some trimming of structure to get some clearance. Not sure where. I guess I will find out pretty soon.

Obie 250
June 10th, 2021, 12:46 PM
I'm curious what you are referring to concerning the "fender style Roger did to his Ranchero". I am currently trying to figure out what I am doing to my car as far as rear suspension, wheels and tires, rear axel width, etc. I'm finding I am facing many of the same challenges others have dealt with and am looking for creative solutions.

I assume the fender style you mention allows more room, maybe a bigger opening?

BadBird
June 10th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Doug, Roger our president did a mod job on his Ranchero using the front fender wheel wells to open up the fender. I am going to do the same thing to allow room for my tires and wheels. Here is the link to his post. Hope this helps. Larry https://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showthread.php?1482-Call-me-crazy-Ranchero-s-(again)&p=8334#post8334

BadBird
June 10th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Doug, on Rogers post, page 29 gives the best shot of the side view of his Ranchero. You can see it gives all kinds of room for larger wheel/tire combinations. Larry

Obie 250
June 10th, 2021, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the link Larry, very helpful. I was thinking it was something to this effect. I just recently saw a Sprint for sale that must have done something very similar and I thought it looked really good. I wasn't sure if it was some model I hadn't seen before.

This kind of mod is a little beyond what I want to have to do and probably a little beyond my skill level to do it myself. I have been looking at different combinations of 4 link or moving the leaf springs and possibly and/or narrowing the rear axel. I can handle that stuff and can probably live with the tire size that will allow.

I do want to stick with the 8" rear end because its quite a bit lighter than a 9" and I am not running enough HP to hurt it, and I don't have to buy it but it is a little trickier to narrow since the spring perches are already close to the ends.

I will be interested to follow your progress and see how it comes together, I am sure I will learn something

BadBird
June 10th, 2021, 03:43 PM
All this stuff is beyond my skill level. That is the main reason I tackled my 64 when I retired. I wanted to do all the things that building a car requires. I had never welded, never done body work, never painted a car. It was challenging but thanks to all the guys on this site and Youtube, I learned a lot.
There are a bunch of things that are required in building this gasser that will challenge me again. BUT, looking forward to learning so more.
Take care and keep us informed on your car. Larry

Tom P
June 10th, 2021, 05:08 PM
I broke an 8" with a 200 six in my 65 Falcon convertible!

As for the structure trimming, it's probably at the front of the opening at the rocker panel. You can't get a very big diameter tire ("tar" for Southeast Gassers) in there. I cut the outer rocker all the way back to the front of the inner wheelwell to clear a 27" diameter. Bigger than that and you need to have bigger diameter wheel tubs.
And you certainly don't want to move the rear end back to solve that. If anything move it forward and cut twice as much off the rocker and gain more clearance at the back of the opening.

Obie 250
June 10th, 2021, 09:26 PM
I suppose anything can break for lots of reasons. In high school we ran a '66 Mustang with a 351, 4.11 8" spooled rear end, street slicks and hammered it at the track all the time. On a good day we might do low 11sec and never had a problem except went through a few clutches haha

Tom P
June 11th, 2021, 01:53 AM
Mine was 3.55 gears and on street tires on the street. The 200 had nitrous (made around 180hp tops) and broke the caps off the 8" carrier

A 9" costs more but an 8.8 is cheap and just as stong as a 9".

Luva65wagon
June 12th, 2021, 12:17 AM
8" rearend is pretty tough, but they had a couple types. You need to get the ones with the extra structural ribbing to make one for performance applications. Here's where I upgraded to a TracLoc on mine.

https://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showthread.php?1482-Call-me-crazy-Ranchero-s-(again)&p=19595#post19595

BadBird
June 21st, 2021, 03:30 PM
I have been trying to work on the car and remove the rear end. Jeff got me in touch with a person that wants the rear end and he has a couple of good front fenders that I need. So, making a swap. BUT, I have fought for many years a medical condition making it almost impossible to work under the car without having splitting headaches that last for hours.
When I worked on my 64, had the same condition so I made a rotisserie so I could stand up for most of the work. Sold it to another Falcon Club member when I finished using it.
I was going to build another one for this car, but found the cost of steel is ridiculous. Decided to buy one instead. Then will sell it when finished. I bought the Titan rotisserie 4500. Here is a link to a youtube video.
Hated to spend the needed money, but. Titan Lifts Automotive Rotisserie ROT-4500 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZNZ_5gpExo)

BadBird
June 23rd, 2021, 02:01 AM
I ordered from Summit Racing the wheels for my 63. They were back ordered. Received notification that the front wheels would ship 6/1. Rear wheels were coming later shipping 6/21. Then I got the news that the front wheels would ship 6/26 and rear wheels would ship 7/11. On Friday they sent another message. Fronts......7/1, rear 7/26. So, decided I needed to get the rear end off and get it to the person who I mentioned above trading me two front fenders. So.......today. The rear wheels arrived????
Going to try and get the rear tires tomorrow to check clearances. More later I guess. Larry

Luva65wagon
June 24th, 2021, 12:17 PM
Larry,

I've always had good luck ordering from Summit. Have often scratched my head wondering how that got that package to me so fast! Right now there are so many manufacturing delays caused by a host of issues depending on where you're at, so we're all waiting for things to get back to normal. It's going to take a while. I suspect even things made in USA have some item(s) in them from overseas where things are still pretty bleak.

Anyway, you have a couple pieces to your new puzzle. Once you receive and get that WhirlyJig 4000 setup - you'll be going all out then! Dirt, rust, and metal, just a flinging. Just remember to stand back and snap a few "bring us along with you" postcards.

BadBird
June 24th, 2021, 12:27 PM
I agree with the shipping from Summit. Often get things the next day. This is, or was a problem from the supplier. The wheels are coming straight from them.
I do know that the news has stated that 9 ships were being held in the sound waiting to offload. Last Friday I was told the front wheels would ship on 7/1. Yesterday I got 6 emails saying I would get the wheels today.
I promised the guy who wants the rear end out of the car, so will need to get that done. We are going to Kansas for family reunion pretty soon. Yahoo, Kansas in July. I will get the rear end out today, I hope.
Haven't received shipping information on the rotisserie. Probably won't even start on that until we get back from Kansas. I will be taking pictures for sure. More to come, but not soon I guess.

beerbelly
June 24th, 2021, 12:40 PM
In the past Summit has been lightning quick on in-stock items, and is my go-to supplier for online parts. 1-2 days tops; amazing.

On the other hand, anyone have comments about JEGS? I recently ordered an item that they got wrong, and they charged me $10.49 shipping to return THEIR mistake! On the return order questionnaire, I told them that I'd like the correct replacement part; today (3 weeks later) they said they didn't notice that. I said please refund me, I'm done with you.

Sorry for the hijack & rant; I'm still following this build and hope all goes well for you.

gtaroger
June 25th, 2021, 08:25 AM
I've dealt with Summit for years and have never had a problem with them.If I had a problem with a product you were quick to refund or replace. I recently ordered a Holley Sniper EFI, got it in two days.GTARoger

BadBird
August 12th, 2021, 08:49 PM
I have the Caltrac split single leaf springs temporarily in place with the wheels/tires located where I believe they will be located. They stick out a little as you can see in the pictures, but that is what I wanted/expected for the gasser build. Now I have the dimension for the width of the rear end. It will be a 9" with 58" from axle hub to hub. Going to order the rear end tomorrow, but not sure if I want drum or disc brakes.. I think I am going with what I had in my 64 and 4:11 gearing and posi-trac.
When the rear end is installed I believe I will have interference at the front of the tires, but plan on cutting out some of that when I do the front fender cutout install like Roger did. More to come.

Luva65wagon
August 13th, 2021, 08:58 AM
You still need to find fenders for these rear flares, don't you? I've been keeping an eye out, but nothing so far.

Good to see you have your rear-end measurements figured out. Worse case you can cut flares like I did on my very first Falcon. Using a cutting torch.

BadBird
August 13th, 2021, 12:11 PM
Roger, I got two fenders. The guy that Jeff found who wanted the rear end out of my car had two good fenders and traded me. I ordered the rear end today from Quick Performance. It is a 9" with 3" tubes leaf spring perches are specifically for Cal Trac system which I have. It will be a posi-trac unit with 4:11 gears. I decided on drum brakes. They use 31 spline axles and will make it the width I need of 58" hub to hub.
I know it seems weird to get all the rear end parts to install and then remove it all again. But, I need the rear end installed, wheels and tires installed to determine the location for the new rear fender cutouts. Once I get that determined, I can locate the cutouts, weld in the new to clear the tires and then go to the front to start the straight axle location. Lots to do, lots of cutting in the front to remove shock towers, etc. Rotisserie will help, but you have to leave the car sitting flat and straight to locate and weld some of this. Too much twisting of the frame/body on a rotisserie. Probably will final weld the cutouts on the rotisserie. Larry

Luva65wagon
August 13th, 2021, 10:41 PM
Good deal. And smart to get the rear axle located first - then place the flares. You'll probably notice you'll have to eat into the rear sill area just a bit to get the flare to match the tire on the stock axle location. I seem to recall choosing the rearward location (honestly didn't do too much thinking on that build... just kind of auto-piloted it) because it would have got a bit funky on the fab portion to have moved it forward. Again, a bit foggy. I'm sure I did it at 10:30 at night after a working a full day. Definitely a DOH! moment when I realized how far forward the axle sat in the stock wheel opening. I didn't have the leaf spring installed at all, which didn't help. Will be interested to see what you see.

BadBird
August 14th, 2021, 01:37 PM
It sure looks like the rear end will sit quite a ways forward. I believe I will have to cut into the front sill area. That will make it a little dicey, but, nothing is easy. I have to wait a couple of weeks to get the rear end and have decided to go ahead and start cutting up the front end. Will pull the engine, remove shock towers and braces, might order the straight axle, springs, brakes, etc for the front. Larry

Luva65wagon
August 14th, 2021, 09:38 PM
I had to move my axle back nearly 2 inches and basically made my own lowering blocks to do it. Wasn't the ideal way to do it since the lower shock mount plate had to be modified too for the spring bolt. So far so good, but hind sight (now) is always 2020.

BadBird
August 14th, 2021, 11:32 PM
I don't think with the Caltrac system that I can move the rear end aft or change the shock mount plate. So, I will probably have to do some work on the forward area of the wheel well at the bottom. Not sure, but looks that way. Sounds like fun??? We will see soon I guess. Larry

BadBird
August 24th, 2021, 09:22 PM
Well, the rear end is ordered from Quick Performance, but like everything I have ordered recently it is going to take more than a month to get it. So, went to the front and got the tires for the front end today. 155 width by 15. They are BFG TA radials that have the look of the old bias ply tires. Also ordered the straight axle setup with Wilwood disc brakes today from Speedway Automotive. Sounds like that will be here next week sometime. Larry

gtaroger
August 25th, 2021, 11:41 AM
I feel your pain.I wanted the Sniper stealth FI. It was on back order,about 1 to 2 months to get.Every thing is messed up right now.GTARoger

BadBird
September 24th, 2021, 06:37 PM
In dismantling my 63 I have some parts that I have no need or want for. I have the 289 engine (unknown condition), original radiator (I think) which anyone can have if they want. I also have four very good condition spoke hubcaps (14") that I would sell for $100. I will be listing other parts as I go along. Larry

Luva65wagon
September 24th, 2021, 07:48 PM
Hey Larry, if the motor mount assemblies are not going to beused - I'd buy those. If your plan is to use them that's great.

BadBird
October 14th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Roger, I'm not sure what all I will be using. But, I will let you know asap. Also, not getting a lot done on the car lately. Carol has been having problems with blood and oxygen issues, called aid crew out and got her to hospital. Got a blood transfusion and feeling better. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
Now, car stuff. I spent several hours trying to remove the clutch equalizer bar from the left side of the block and support angle. Pain in the posterior. Couldn't get the bolts to come loose, but finally my son got them removed and the engine is pulled. Now I can start removing the front suspension junk. If anyone needs something from that, let me know.
Received the axles (only) from Quick Performance for the rear end. Checked and found out they were making the rear housing too narrow. I need it to be 58" from hub to hub and they were making it stock width of 56". So, they are remaking the whole setup, sending new axles and shipping the wrong ones back at no charge. This company is one of the best I've ever dealt with. Should be getting new axles and housing within a week.
I guess my plan is to temporarily install the rear end in the car to get exact locations of wheels/tires so I can start cutting wheel wells out. Next will locate the front straight axle setup and weld in brackets. Then get every thing else off the car so I can get it on the rotisserie for some serious work. Best laid plans of mice and men?? Larry

BadBird
February 11th, 2022, 10:35 PM
I know. I should not be thinking about the paint of my future car. BUT, I keep looking. When talking about this subject before, Jeff said he likes two tone cars. So do I. So, please remember, this gasser will be trying to incorporate the looks of the 60's gassers. Take a look at this gasser. I kinda like the look. Kinda? Not sure about actual colors. Ideas are welcome. "Sucker Punch" 1963.5 Ford Falcon Gasser Blown Small Block Ford Gasser Profile - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HeWwNOlZMc) Larry

Jeff W
February 13th, 2022, 10:24 AM
I think it looks fantastic. Another style I like is similar to that but is paneled? like this van.

beerbelly
February 13th, 2022, 11:16 AM
I saw this one at PIR a couple summers ago; the kid said he & a buddy painted it themselves:

Tom P
March 12th, 2022, 10:26 PM
Any updates on the project?

BadBird
March 13th, 2022, 06:40 PM
Carol and I just got back from a while in Tucson Arizona. Worked on my brothers 64 Fairlane Thunderbolt clone. Now I want to get back to mine. I will update soon I hope. Larry

BadBird
March 26th, 2022, 08:52 PM
I haven't done much on the car lately, but back problems are indeed a pain. So, I bought some more stuff just to keep busy. I ordered a 351 Level 20 roller block from DSS Racing. I also ordered their main support. I had the DSS 347 short block in the 64 and it did a good job on the street and racing. So, after talking to them they recommended this block for the stroker 427 I am going to install. D.S.S. Racing - Main Support System And Pro-Tray Windage Control<meta name="description" content="D.S.S. Racing's Main Support System Dampens Harmful Harmonics That Cause Cap Walk And Can Crack Engine Blocks. The Main Support System Is Affordable And Easily Installed. D.S.S. Also Offers Increased HP With The Pro-Tray Windage Control."> (dssracing.com) (https://dssracing.com/D_S_S_Main_Support_System_s/6.htm)

D.S.S. RACE-PREPPED ENGINE BLOCKS

D.S.S. LEVEL 20 CNC RACE PREPPED BLOCKS ARE TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED. OUR ULTRA SEAL CYLINDER PREP IS VERY DETAILED AND TIME CONSUMING, HOWEVER IT PROVIDES RING SEAL AND POWER SECOND TO NONE.

YOU COULD SETTLE FOR AVERAGE PERFORMANCE, BUT WHY? 20 CNC RACE PREPPED BLOCKS GIVE YOU POWER YOU CAN FEEL AND THE WINNING ADVANTAGE YOU DESIRE. THIS SYSTEM HAS BEEN RACE PROVEN IN NUMEROUS 650+ HP PRODUCTION BLOCKS.

Over 35 blueprinting operations. Dyno proven to produce 40+HP over a standard
production block. Level 20 have advanced features like our Elliptical Cylinder
Chamfer (on non big bore blocks) and threaded freeze plugs CNC stroker clearanced
for 331/347 or 408/427 providing you the ultimate block for easy, do-it-yourself
stroker engine assembly.
https://dssracing.com/D_S_S_Racing_CNC_engine_blocks_s/bare_good.jpghttps://dssracing.com/images/cnc.jpg

D.S.S. Has designed and built a new engine block fixturing system. This fixture
locates the engine block of the main and cam bore centerlines, exclusively (not
the oil pan rails like most other CNC block fixtures). It is this advancement that
gives us the ability to produce an extremely true engine block, aiding in the production
of horsepower and longevity.

Description

Level 20 CNC prepped 351W production Hyd roller ready block, uses a 1 piece rear main seal. Over 35 blueprinting operations. Dyno proven to pRoduce 40+HP over a standard prepped production block. CNC Stroker clearanced for most 408/427 Stroker kits providing the ultimate in easy do-it-yourself Stroker engine assembly.

Our Race prepped Production blocks do not come with main cap hardware, the bolts in the main caps are intended to secure the caps during shipping only. We suggest using one of our main support systems or a main stud kit.

BadBird
March 30th, 2022, 12:08 AM
Got a couple of pictures of the block that DSS Racing is shipping tomorrow. Larry78647865