PDA

View Full Version : Early Christmas from my son...

Turbocluck
December 21st, 2020, 06:44 PM
So, this is a different kinda tech for us old timers... I ordered a CNC mill that will be here in a couple weeks. My son has been busy behind the scenes working on some scripts to run. He has many hours into the cap and it's beautiful. One of the first pieces he will run once the mill is ready... So proud of him, he literally self taught himself to do these... We have 3d printed the trim bits and they are too cool. He ran out of filament doing the cap, so we are gonna wait and let er rip out of billet.

The cheap import gas cap was an Ebay special and fits like crap, so he decided to learn how to make one out of billet... Love my kids.

Merry Christmas y'all stay safe and have a Happy New Year! It sure will be nice to see 2020 in the rearview.

Luva65wagon
December 21st, 2020, 09:36 PM
That's going to be awesome to see when completed. So, is this going to be the functional cap or a cap-delete with a fill relocation?

Turbocluck
December 21st, 2020, 09:53 PM
I don't see why it couldn't be both... I am keeping the factory fill location and reworking the plumbing into the custom EFI tank. Most of the issues with the 'cheros and wagons was improper venting in the bastardized sedan tank. A guy could also just install it and then do a tail light conversion or something like that. He's making it to incorporate a Stant vented cap. It's not like its for the concourse crowd LOL...
7297 1st attempt with 3d printed trim on an offshore ebay cap. Don't pay attention to the center handle. But checkout how "off" the body line is in the repop casting. Thats why he went with a full billet cap.

Panzer 14
December 22nd, 2020, 06:12 AM
That is incredible. Nice work. I was born 25 years too early!!

Luva65wagon
December 22nd, 2020, 10:47 PM
Yeah, that's pretty bad. Not even close to the correct spot. It might be better for the uninitiated if it were clocked the same on the trim line (loosening the 3 screws under the cap to allow rotating the nozzle inlet), but the rest is pretty bad. Especially without the center handle.

Turbocluck
December 23rd, 2020, 03:14 PM
1st full prototype...

Still some tweaking, but it's coming along...

gtaroger
December 23rd, 2020, 05:44 PM
That is awesome. Roger

Falcongek
December 27th, 2020, 12:55 PM
That's looking great.
I think 3d printing will help the oldtimer crowd immensly.
One offs are now more easilly made.

Keep up the experiments.

Rinke