PDA

View Full Version : I have to start somewhere

BadBird
October 22nd, 2020, 11:41 PM
I am looking for a 63 2 door hardtop as some of you already know. I want to get started on the build but can't seem to find a round body that either isn't costing an arm and a leg or they are more rust that metal. So, if someone knows of one, or for that matter an earlier model I am going to start building the engine.
Yeah, I know, cart before the horse but I need a winter project.
Just like my last Falcon I know exactly what I want to build. This car will be a gasser and the engine I am going to build ia a 351/427 stroker. I loved the 347 I built for the first car, but I want more HP in this one. Probably going to go for another DSS Racing Short Block with forged internals. They do great quality work so, that fits.
I will let you all know where the process is going soon I hope. Have a great fall and stay warm. Larry

Gitanesteel
October 23rd, 2020, 09:14 PM
Here's the 63 2 door we pulled out of a shed two weeks ago. Was sitting on concrete so it's pretty solid.

Luva65wagon
October 24th, 2020, 12:33 PM
Larry,

I know it's not a hardtop, but for the gasser look it would be an awesome with the t-bird style roof it has. I saw it when it was still buried in the garage.

pbrown
October 24th, 2020, 02:04 PM
That 63 would work well as a gasser. It really needs a big block though. Maybe a 427 with a blower on top and dual quads. No hood.

BadBird
October 24th, 2020, 11:31 PM
There are multiple engines that can work but I am looking at the 347/427 stroker. Attached is a car that I have fallen in love with. Even the color. I doubt if I can make one look this good, but who knows. Larry

https://siamagazin.com/custom-built-1963-ford-falcon-gasser-2020/

BadBird
November 21st, 2020, 11:49 PM
Anyone hear anymore on the 63 mentioned above? I am needing a car.
I was originally going to buy a short block from DSS Racing and then add all the parts to complete the engine I want. BUT, I have been talking to Prestige Motorsports and have found that I don't think I can build the engine for much less than they provide a turn key. They tune it, dyno it and it has a three year warranty with a 80% drive and 20% drag race usage. You can see the engine they are going to put together for me on this you tube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=rRlKrWxqJZ8
The engine they will build will be a little different. The one in the video is a 408 stroker and I am getting a 427 stroker. The video engine has 225 heads and I am getting AFR 205 heads for better streetability. Not sure if the cam is different, but it will have all forged crank, rods and pistons. The same intake and same carbs. The engine they dyno on the video has 602 HP. Mine will be a little less because of the different heads. But not much. I will let you know more next week. Larry

Gitanesteel
November 22nd, 2020, 07:16 AM
I have been in correspondence with the estate. She has been unable to find the title and has been working with Olympia on the procedures to transfer ownership so the new owner can obtain a title. I think it's fairly straightforward.

She has given me permission to show the car since it is sitting outside. I have a brother that may be interested in it too. Since I'm 25 min away I can usually meet people to check the car out.

Luva65wagon
November 23rd, 2020, 03:14 PM
Anyone hear anymore on the 63 mentioned above? I am needing a car.

Larry, you should take a trip and at least look at the car. It's in Cle Elum and not a far drive for you and Carol to make. And as Scott says, he's 25 minutes away. Might be getting a bit dicey, weather-wise, to haul it home, but if you can get it I think it would make a great base to build on.

BadBird
November 23rd, 2020, 03:18 PM
Scott, can Carol and I meet you there tomorrow around 11:00? If that works can you send me directions or address and we will meet you there. I haven't seen what the weather is supposed to do tomorrow so let me know if it works for you. Thanks Larry

Luva65wagon
November 24th, 2020, 10:59 PM
Did it happen?

BadBird
November 24th, 2020, 11:16 PM
Yep, it happened. Nice day on the East side. Even sunny. Really nice of Scott to take time out of his day to drive from Ellensburg to be there and show me the car. Thanks Scott!!. The car is in decent shape and would make a good starting point. Really would like to have a hardtop, but they are getting scarce and/or expensive. Scott's brother is also interested so it will be his option to buy the car first if he wants it. I gave an offer to Scott to make to the owner.
Still information needed concerning the title but hope that will work out. More to come I am sure. Larry

Luva65wagon
November 24th, 2020, 11:21 PM
Thanks Larry. Hope it goes to a good home and think either you or Cory will make it a sweet ride. I agree as well on the difficulty in getting decent hardtops. I'm sure they're out there for decent prices, but usually the price is by the pound. More metal, more money. More rust, less money.

BadBird
December 19th, 2020, 10:23 PM
​Please keep looking everyone. I still need a round body Falcon. Merry Christmas. Larry

Luva65wagon
December 19th, 2020, 10:42 PM
I keep my eyes peeled for you Larry!

Merry Christmas to you and Carol too!

Luva65wagon
December 23rd, 2020, 09:30 AM
Larry - this is in the national newsletter. Not close, but reasonable for a hardtop. No idea from the add regarding shape/rust/etc., but it says it's very solid. It might be worth a call to the guy.

BadBird
December 23rd, 2020, 11:30 AM
Almost sounds too good to be true. Gave them a call and left a message. Hope they call back with some information. Thanks Roger

gtaroger
December 23rd, 2020, 01:08 PM
In 1973 my cousin had a 63 Falcon that looked like a gasser. It had the stright front axle. The axle was from a econoline that was cut in half and a section removed. It had a 9 inch rear axle with a 4.56 gear.Rear wheel wells were opened up and ran L-60-15 tires on the rear and front runners on the front.The engine was a early 289 warmed over a bit and a T10 trans. That was his daily driver . He even drove it through the winters.I drove it once,that was the scariest driving car I have ever driven.It had a very small steering wheel and it was all over the road. When he drove it ,you would never have known. I've had very good luck with DDS parts. I have a SVT Boss 302 block with DSS forged crank,rods and pistons.Spin it up to 6500 rpms ,never a problem.Roger

BadBird
December 23rd, 2020, 07:38 PM
Thanks to our president Roger, in locating a good 63 2 door hardtop, I am now the proud owner of this little Falcon. It is in Michigan and will be shipping it to me after the first of the year. Thanks Roger. Hope these couple of photos work. Larry73077308

Luva65wagon
December 23rd, 2020, 08:16 PM
Lord, I pray Larry is still thankful when this little Falcon arrives. Amen

:NERVOUS:

BadBird
December 23rd, 2020, 09:05 PM
Now that is funny. LOL. Roger, this car is definitely in better shape then the 64 I built. I just never got to post all the BEFORE pictures of it. The seller tells me that this car is in very good condition. It has a 289, (not running) 4 speed transmission, (not installed). Mustang bucket seats and original Falcon bucket seats with the car. It has the console. It was a vinyl roof car, vinyl removed upon storage to prevent rust. Windshield is cracked. It comes with the windshield and back window trim along with roof rail trim. He sent other pictures that shows minimal rust in trunk area. Doesn't look bad. It was stored in his garage for 26 years. There will be lots and lots of work but am anxious to get it and get started. The one thing the seller told me that is NOT good is the rear wheel wells were cut out and flaired. They do look bad when the picture is expanded. That will be fun. I have looked for months at 63 hardtops and almost all were worse than this one. Soooooo We'll see. Keep praying Roger Larry

gtaroger
December 24th, 2020, 04:25 AM
There a quit a few of these jems still hiding here in Michigan.About 25 years ago my wife surprized me with a 1963 Falcon 260 four speed ,red on red. She saw it in one of our local papers. She had my brother inlaw go pick the car up and drop it off at my home. To my surprize when I came home from work there set a red falcon in my drive way.Later that week I installed wires ,plugs and points and had it running. After a close look I found that the floors were shot. I spent a year looking for some one to replace the floor pan and trunk floor. I gave up and sold it and bought my Mustang.It looks like you found a keeper Don't give up on it like I did.I still wish I had it.The 63's are the best looking of all the Falcons.Roger

Luva65wagon
December 24th, 2020, 03:02 PM
I doubt Larry will toot his own horn here, but he had one of the nicest Falcons I've ever seen - and he built it from the ground up with lots of custom touches. I didn't see the before, but the after was remarkable. We were all wondering why he sold it, but I get how things are sometimes when you say to yourself. "It's time to let it go." So, if this new car comes out even 50% as good as his last, it'll be awesome.

Here's a couple pictures of his previous car for those of you who never saw it. As I recall he actually won the highest horsepower contest when he did this dyno test at a car show.

Larry, when you get the 63 - if you want to hold a "bag and tag" event to get her stripped and onto the rotisserie, I'd be game.

BadBird
December 24th, 2020, 08:18 PM
Thanks Roger, it was a fun car to build and those couple of times on the dyno and then drag racing were the most fun. I still get melancholy when I see pictures of the car. BUT, I have to admit. Building it was the most satisfying for me. Showing the car all across the western U.S. and meeting so many interesting people were fun days.
One day in particular at the Seattle Greenwood show. A young man and his small son came by and spent quite awhile talking. The boy wanted to hear the car and the stereo speakers in the back. Afterwards the young mans wife showed up. She had more pins, bolts and wires in her body than my car with almost all her body covered in tatoo's. Her boobs were about to fall out of her shirt.
She began barking that my car was nothing more than vanity. Which, I said YEP. I then proceeded to say that having her body pierced, adorned with two pounds of metal and her boobs hanging out were exactly the same thing. She wanted everyone to notice her. MY car said the same thing.
"look what I did".
I said all that to say this. When ever I went to car shows I could say I did everything on the car myself. Body work, paint, engine build, fiberglass etc. That is what I wanted to do. To build it. To learn. To have fun. Just so happens the Falcons are beautiful, restored or custom built.
Now, another chance to build again. More to come I am sure. Larry

Luva65wagon
December 25th, 2020, 12:12 AM
Had she not seen the 500 other cars there - or did she "show herself off" to everyone there that day or just pick you? But yeah, it's certainly at odds with some far more pressing issues in the world today, but I say as long as you don't lose sight with the actual important things in life, it's a fun hobby for me - and nothing else.

BadBird
December 25th, 2020, 05:22 PM
She was bored with the whole thing. Her son was so much fun to talk to and his father spent a lot of time asking questions. The Greenwood show was my initiation into car shows and the show people. I met so many nice people that day and several that were different from my Midwest conservative views. You are right Roger, it is a fun hobby. Larry

gtaroger
December 25th, 2020, 06:38 PM
You meet all kind of fruits at car shows and cruises. My wife and I went to a local car cruise. As we were pulling out of the parking lot some skinny ,tooth less guy on a bicycle yells to me to get a real car.I spent 2 years building my Factory Five Cobra. It may not have been a original Cobra but you could have bought alot of old rusty bikes for when I spent. Just shows how stupid some people are.You can't fix stupid. 7314

BadBird
December 25th, 2020, 11:42 PM
I was told this car had a vinyl roof and they removed the vinyl to prevent rust? Anyway, I don't think I have ever seen a falcon with a vinyl roof. Does anyone know if I can just leave the vinyl off and paint it like normal? I don't care too much for other cars with the vinyl roof.
Also, does anyone know if the guy in Seattle that did all the Falcon / Comet interiors is still in business? Larry

Luva65wagon
December 26th, 2020, 12:13 AM
It might be a dealer installed thing. I found a couple pictures of a hardtop with vinyl roof, and a catalog for 62 with the option on 2-door sedans. But who knows. Maybe the door tag has info?

If the roof is crappy, vinyl covers the sin, which is why I covered my roof with vinyl on my Ranchero ( :WHATTHE: ), which I've had quite a few compliments on and "is that factory?" So I'm sure you'll be able to paint it.

Jake at Falcon Interiors moved from his Shilshole location last I talked to him (8-10 years ago?) and his address showed in Mill Creek, which ended up being a PO Box locations in a strip mall. But when I asked him, he basically said he's got a warehouse somewhere as well. Here's his web site:

https://www.falconcometinteriors.com/

BadBird
December 26th, 2020, 04:40 PM
Thanks Roger, still not sure I like the vinyl, but who knows. Larry

gtaroger
December 26th, 2020, 08:21 PM
My vote is for no vinyl.Love the sleek shinny roof. Roger

Luva65wagon
December 26th, 2020, 10:21 PM
Yeah, don't get me wrong Larry - I would vote no vinyl. The only reason I did it was... by the time I got to looking at the roof and seeing how somebody had a dance up there, I opted to just cover it. On my satin black thing it looks OK. As I understand it your plans (for now) are to build a gasser, so with that in mind a vinyl rood - whether original to the car or not - would look strange. Hopefully it's not too rough for your plans, is all.

BadBird
December 27th, 2020, 07:07 PM
Guess the vinyl roof issue is over. Now for another question. As you know from the pictures the wheel wells were cutout and they don't look good. I have been perusing the internet sites and so far the only thing I can find for repair is to buy the whole quarter panels. Maybe finding a parts car in a junk yard? Will all the round bodies work for those wheel wells?
Also, I mentioned in another post about a rotisserie for sale but I think I will just go ahead and make another one. It wasn't difficult and sure is cheaper to make one. Larry

Luva65wagon
December 27th, 2020, 09:37 PM
Larry, This was posted over on Facebook from a west of the sound Falcon guy. Might be worth taking a look over there:

My Christmas present to all of you.
At Horseshoe Auto Wrecking in Belfair, by the old drive-in are several Falcons.
3, 62 2 door sedans
1 or 2, 65 2 door sedans
1, 63 2 door Hardtop.
Merry Christmas Everyone

Any of these of 62-63 vintage would be the same. Or maybe a pair of fenders to do like I did, which if you're doing a gasser, was a common thing back in the day.

beerbelly
December 28th, 2020, 04:28 AM
Something like this might be nice for the rear wheel wells. Fronts repurposed?

BadBird
December 28th, 2020, 11:49 AM
Beerbelly, what is your name. Feels weird saying Beerbelly. I agree and have thought about putting the front wheel well sections on the rear. I have seen that before in other pictures. Thanks and that is definitely an option. Larry

Luva65wagon
December 28th, 2020, 12:01 PM
I have seen that before in other pictures. Thanks and that is definitely an option. Larry

Like how about mine? You all watched in real-time my process of doing just this, and how I made slight modifications to the opening to make is slightly different from the original.

Anyway, there are pros and cons.

Pros:
Far easier to change tires.
Far easier to install larger tire/wheel combo.
Possible not needed to tub it.

Cons:
Modifies characteristic of the Falcon.
Relocation of axle centerline to wheel opening - unless you move front fender flare forward to match original axle placement.
New driveline if trying to keep stock drive train.

May be others, but these are what I dealt with.

BadBird
December 28th, 2020, 12:19 PM
Sorry I didn't see the post on your work. I will go back through the forum and see what you did. That is probably the best method to get me access and make it look good also. Thanks. Should have known you already did this. Must be why I didn't notice it in your pictures because it looks so normal. Larry

Luva65wagon
December 28th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Well, it sort of does. Here's a link to where you can start reading on it.

https://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showthread.php?1482-Call-me-crazy-Ranchero-s-(again)&p=8334#post8334

BadBird
December 28th, 2020, 01:06 PM
I found the posts and I love the look you got by adding the triangle piece instead of just having the front and back the same. Wow, your workmanship is phenomenal. I will have to start looking for those front fenders now I guess. If anyone has a couple of them sitting around let me know. Again, Roger, your abilities are beyond anything I could imagine. Not sure I am up to doing as good as you did, but I will try anything ONCE. Thanks Larry

Luva65wagon
December 28th, 2020, 01:31 PM
I think, if I were to do it over - or if I were to get big tires - I would have done some pie cuts on this inner fender and eliminated the flat lip. Since my tires don't come close I'm not concerned, but for a drag car it might be needed.

BadBird
December 28th, 2020, 05:18 PM
Not sure I understand, do you mean that plate hanging down in the upper left area of the wheel well? Larry

gtaroger
December 28th, 2020, 06:07 PM
No . I thought I saw a photo of the rear of the car with a michigan license plate.Blue and gold was the old michigan plates.

Luva65wagon
December 28th, 2020, 07:17 PM
Not sure I understand, do you mean that plate hanging down in the upper left area of the wheel well? Larry

Larry, If you compare these two pictures I think it explains it better. I didn't bring the inner fender tub close to the outer skin because I would have needed to cut some V pie cuts and weld in some V patches to push that inner tub outward towards the outer skin of the body. Instead, if you notice the earlier picture, I just made a flat bridge between the two. So if the tire was, say a flat drag style, it might hit it. The second image (done quickly via Photoshop) shows this "bridge" gone and the inner tub going to the lip of the flare opening. I could still do this in the future if I decide to.

The metal on the left hanging down is the pinch weld between floor and tub, which could easily be cut off and welded differently. A lot if this will be different especially if you plan to do a mini-tub for bigger than Falcon normal tires. I'm still basing most of my suggestions on the "gasser" theme you mentioned a while back. You might be thinking differently now.

Luva65wagon
December 28th, 2020, 11:49 PM
Larry - I just read on Facebook where the guy who went to that wrecker over in Bremerton said the 62-3 cars there had rear quarters and front fenders. What shape they are in isn't clear and he didn't take pictures. I might have to go have a look for myself if you can't make it. Weather allowing, of course. I'm not sure when I can go, but I'd caravan over with you some day we can arrange it.

BadBird
December 29th, 2020, 12:09 AM
Roger, I would like to go see what they have. Haven't looked at the weather reports lately, but I am game any day. I would bring Carol. She has to be with me in case I have a medical episode. Being an old fart is troublesome, but old is better than not getting older. Larry

beerbelly
December 29th, 2020, 06:30 AM
Beerbelly, what is your name. Feels weird saying Beerbelly. I agree and have thought about putting the front wheel well sections on the rear. I have seen that before in other pictures. Thanks and that is definitely an option. Larry
My name's Jay, from the Portland area. I've been lurking and occasionally posting for a few years. I check in daily to see what's going on Falcon-wise.

The more I look at the photo I posted, those may be rear wheel arches from a '64 or '65; they seem less rounded than earlier front fender arches.

Luva65wagon
December 29th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Roger, I would like to go see what they have. Haven't looked at the weather reports lately...

Larry, this week is pretty full and the weather pretty poopy, but let's see how next week pans out weather-wise. Never fun slogging around in a wrecking yard while it's raining, so if we get a couple dry days - maybe the second of them to allow it to dry out a bit. I'd follow you out there to be safe and sane. I now live on the south end of Boeing Field near Tukwila, so I can either drive around or take the Bremerton ferry. Either way is fine by me.

BadBird
December 29th, 2020, 05:54 PM
Larry, this week is pretty full and the weather pretty poopy, but let's see how next week pans out weather-wise. Never fun slogging around in a wrecking yard while it's raining, so if we get a couple dry days - maybe the second of them to allow it to dry out a bit. I'd follow you out there to be safe and sane. I now live on the south end of Boeing Field near Tukwila, so I can either drive around or take the Bremerton ferry. Either way is fine by me.

Sounds like a plan. I will keep in touch. Larry

BadBird
December 31st, 2020, 03:29 PM
The car owner called me today and said he thinks this car might be a Sprint. I looked up the VIN 3R77F172709 which doesn't say. He tells me the dash says Sprint but the letters on the trunk are missing. it also doesn't have the original 260 engine so can't tell by that. The car hasn't shipped to me yet, so unable to dig myself. More to come. Larry

Luva65wagon
December 31st, 2020, 11:53 PM
That's the problem with Sprints. They are not identified with a VIN number or Data plate. It may be. There would be some forensic things to look at as you disassemble it, but would depend all the original sheet metal exists. What will you do if it's a Sprint?

BadBird
January 1st, 2021, 05:12 PM
If, this car is indeed a Sprint, I don't know if I want to cut it up and make a gasser. Totally restored Falcons are not my cup of tea, (as you all know) so ????? He said it was indeed a factory 260 with 4 speed, bucket seats and four speed is original. I am not sure, but I think the emblems on the roof pillars say something about Sprint? He is going to check those out which are not installed on the car but in the glove box he thinks. He also stated he has had many offers for the car so I am glad I got there first. Thanks so much Roger for pointing me that direction. He mailed out the title and bill of sale in certified mail yesterday so should get that soon. Anxious to get the car and do some research. Larry

Luva65wagon
January 1st, 2021, 10:57 PM
The front fenders said Sprint behind the 260 V8 emblem. If they are the original fenders (hard to say), then this will be one clue. The trunk panel will say Falcon, not Futura. The emblems on the roof pillars will say Sprint. Problem is all these can be cloned, but if it's been hidden for 20 years - chances are it is what it was from the start. Fingers crossed. Should be interesting! And no problem. You are more than we;come. Maybe, if you get to the place where you decide which of those seats you like... you'll make me a deal on the other set. I'm not a fan of my seats and would take anything 60's instead.

BadBird
January 2nd, 2021, 01:36 AM
:confused:I understand it would be nice if this is a Sprint, but hope it isn't. I have been dreaming of building this gasser for years. I will check about the mustang seats Roger.
Also, I spent a couple of hours perusing you post about your ranchero. Good lord I hope I never have to replace the cowl area. That looks like torture. Also, I read a little note on one page where you said Larry likes to sand?
I am amazed at how much work you put into that truck and the level of workmanship. Unbelievable. Also, if anyone has looked at the pictures I posted of the Falcon I just bought, do you think those are 13 inch tires and wheels on it?

BadBird
January 2nd, 2021, 11:51 AM
Roger, I contacted the car seller. I was mistaken, he didn't include the other seats and they are not from a mustang. They are from a Thunderbird. He sent me the pictures. Let me know if you are interested. Larry73377338

Luva65wagon
January 2nd, 2021, 11:52 PM
Much bigger seats. But if he didn't include them. it's a moot point anyway. I hope you get a set you can use.

Luva65wagon
January 2nd, 2021, 11:56 PM
:confused:I understand it would be nice if this is a Sprint, but hope it isn't. I have been dreaming of building this gasser for years. ...do you think those are 13 inch tires and wheels on it?

It's a possibility they are 13's. Being they are 5-lug though, you have many options for wheels.

Oh, and yeah, the cowl was a pain.

BadBird
January 3rd, 2021, 12:13 AM
The seats in the car are Falcon buckets so that part is okay. As soon as I figure out if this thing is a Futura or Sprint I will make up my mind which way this build is going. Larry

MacDee
January 4th, 2021, 02:31 PM
...do you think those are 13 inch tires and wheels on it?

Those look like 14-inch wheel covers to me. There is a clearance feature for the valve stem on the 13-inch wheel covers. I don't see that feature on these pictures. On the 14-inch wheel covers, there is enough room between the spokes that the stem can come through anywhere.

Luva65wagon
January 5th, 2021, 09:56 PM
Larry - Put out some feelers on a Facebook Falcon group on identifying a Sprint in 63. Here's a quick read on the subject.

http://westcoastfalcons.com/identifying-a-1963-ford-falcon-sprint/ (http://westcoastfalcons.com/identifying-a-1963-ford-falcon-sprint/)

BadBird
January 5th, 2021, 10:03 PM
For some reason, (probably my lack of ability) I can't get the link to open. Larry

Luva65wagon
January 5th, 2021, 10:12 PM
I just clicked on it after clearing my cache. Maybe just copy and paste the link?

http://westcoastfalcons.com/identifying-a-1963-ford-falcon-sprint/

BadBird
January 5th, 2021, 10:32 PM
I could open it this time. I have seen that article and according to everything I have found there is really only one definitive way to verify a Sprint from a Futura. The holes for the lettering on the trunk are different and the Futura emblems will not fit the holes of the Sprint and vice versa. The other emblems are easily removed and or faked I guess including the steering wheel and tach. The reason the owner thinks this one is a Sprint is linked to the dash trim just below the glove box. It says Sprint. The Bucket seats, console, V8 and 4 speed are other signifiers, but who knows. I guess when it gets here I will have to check the trunk holes, (if there) and see what I find. Larry

Luva65wagon
January 5th, 2021, 10:36 PM
I think the trunk holes are a bigger tell than any. Fenders can be changed in 60 years. Glove box too. A tail panel, probably not. For whatever reason all the images you sent me are all now the same image. My phone and Gmail is weird though, so maybe I gotta look in my computer. I recall not seeing either Futura or Falcon letters in the images you sent. Hopefully the weather clears and they get it on the road soon to you. Fingers crossed!

BadBird
January 5th, 2021, 10:49 PM
I enlarged the trunk picture and the emblems are gone, but he holes are still there. That may give me some kind of evidence. We'll see soon I hope. Larry

BadBird
January 6th, 2021, 12:48 PM
Talked to the seller today. He has checked for me the holes in the trunk in relation to another car that it for sure a Sprint. The holes in my car do not match the hole locations in the Sprint. So it sounds like I have the definitive proof that this car I bought is indeed a Futura so I am intending to go ahead with the Gasser build. That information makes it easier for me to go with my plans. Larry

BadBird
January 13th, 2021, 03:54 PM
I know this is awfully early to think about this, BUT. In building a gasser one of the issues is getting a set of headers to go through the fender well area. I have contacted gasser websites asking if anyone makes them and all of them tell me to make my own. I was given a link to a youtube video that is very interesting and looks like fun. You need a TIG welder, which I do not possess, but, guess I could get one. Hopefully I can put that link on here for perusal and input. If you have ever welded stainless headers please let me know. Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBmjU83kaow

Luva65wagon
January 14th, 2021, 11:35 PM
I've TIG welded stainless, but not headers. TIG is fun, but also touchy. Touch the tungsten to the metal and off the grinder you go to reshape the tip. It's like gas welding, but using tungsten instead of gas. I've always wanted a TIG, but if you don't get a cooled torch they get hot as heck and have a very short duty cycle. That option has always pushed them out of my budget.

BadBird
January 15th, 2021, 02:30 PM
I jointed the NW gassers group and got some good input. The most interesting was that getting someone to build a set of headers would cost well over $2000. He then stated something similar to you Roger. That buying a tig welder is expensive and not used as much as others like Mig. He also told me to buy the tubing, cut it to fit my application. Tack weld it with my welder then take the pipes to a good welder to finish. He did his and the cost was less than buying a tig welder. NOT sure what direction I will take, but that may be the best advice. Larry

Luva65wagon
January 15th, 2021, 06:09 PM
The thing to do is buy a set of stainless headers for a small block (if that's the block you're going to use... I remember a 351W block stroked 427?) and then modify them. That way you get the lions share already welded.

Had there not been such disaster here after this last rain/wind storm on Monday and Tuesday I'd have hit you up for that trip to Bremerton, but I've been two days, nearly, cutting branches and then rebuilding my ghetto garage housing my pickup. It got blown over and bent a bunch of the poles. Got those pulled and straightened up and it's all back to normal now, but just in time, I suspect for another round of rain.

BadBird
January 15th, 2021, 08:47 PM
Before I go further, you guys have to watch this video. It is a Falcon Gasser doing a run with his girlfriend in the passenger seat. Read the comments below the video. THIS is exactly what I am going to build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8_Q80mGOM

Now, buying a set of headers is an idea that I haven't seen from anyone. I like it. Also. I do need to go to Bremerton still to get those fenders. Finished replacing some fencing that blew down in the storm.

A couple of months ago I fought through a bout of shingles. My doctor said he had never seen a case so severe. Whole left leg and buttocks. Still having pain so he told me to get the shingles shot. Did that yesterday. NOT GOOD. I can hardly move, joints locked up. Head pounding. Left leg is stinging like needles jabbing me. BUT, he told me it might not be fun. HE was right. Just sitting and doing nothing.

The shipping company is having trouble getting a trucker to go so far north to pickup my car. If we go to Bremerton before I get the car, do you think I should also cut out the sections of the rear wheel wells in case I restore it?

Luva65wagon
January 15th, 2021, 10:30 PM
I think that will depend on how rich they think you are. LOL. How much longer they'll ever be available is another question. If you sell it someday, it might be a selling point in case the new buyer wants to go that direction. But I rarely think about future buyers unless I'm advising others. Ha!

I got the double-set of shingles shots this year and yeah, not fun. I heard from my mom she'd had it and it was horrible. I feel for you.

Will watch the video now...

BadBird
January 15th, 2021, 10:35 PM
In watching the video, towards the end, the driver says "WOW!! I never got it up that far before" and the girl says " I glad you did it with me". That was funny enough, but down in the comments a guys says "I have to get a shirt that says that" LOL. Larry

Luva65wagon
January 15th, 2021, 10:41 PM
Before I go further, you guys have to watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8_Q80mGOM

YeeHa! Way too much fun for her.

BadBird
January 19th, 2021, 09:29 PM
Well, I don't have my Falcon yet. BUT, that doesn't mean I am not working on things. I am investigating rear end systems, front straight axle set ups. I am looking at all aspects of turning this car into a gasser. There is one thing that, as usual we struggle with when building a car. THE COLOR. When I started the first falcon I thought it would be black. Which, I was I chose Black Falcon as my name. Then Carol and I went to the all ford show in Bellevue and Carol said she didn't think she liked the black cars. SO, here is the first thing I screwed up with. I LET HER GET INVOLVED WITH THE COLOR CHOICES!!!. Well then I thought red, but again, went to a show and almost every Falcon there was red. Then thought silver. (wife still wanted TEAL).
Then one day I saw in a magazine a yellow 64 that really caught my eye. I called the owner, found it was painted 1996 Corvette yellow. Bingo.
NOW, I am thinking about this car and color. Black looks good. Red looks good. Probably one of those. BUT take a look at this car and feedback please. Larry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fycjf4eTxAQ

Luva65wagon
January 19th, 2021, 10:10 PM
Pretty car... I think if you're going with yellow, that yellow you did was far more vibrant. Or go Orange! With a bit of pearl...

beerbelly
January 20th, 2021, 05:01 AM
Hot Rod satin black might be nice:

BadBird
January 20th, 2021, 05:06 PM
My wifey doesn't like the orange color that Roger sent the pic of. I am not a big fan of the satin black, but everyone knows I change my mind a lot. So, this is the color that I really like, if this video works take a look at it. Not sure how to attach it like Roger can, so here goes. Larry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9c1NSgJS2s

pbrown
January 20th, 2021, 06:15 PM
How about PPG CopperHead for a color? This is a color that Stacey David created on TrucksTV. The Falcon curves would make this color pop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=copperhead+paint&sxsrf=ALeKk00uliVIdQH0OPxWqxmizv3j_-Vr-w:1611195197846&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjIrrnr-avuAhWAFzQIHY61BGgQ_AUoAnoECBEQBA&biw=1440&bih=714

I think the harder thing will be to think of a cool gasser name and lettering style for the sides.

https://barrettjacksoncdn.azureedge.net/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/137935/137935_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

BadBird
January 20th, 2021, 07:44 PM
I have been thinking everyday about that Pat. Since my last car was Badbird, I have been trying to think of something that fits with that. I was told just to call it Badbird ll and put a picture of a vicious eagle type background. I don't know. Just one more thing to dream about. I do like that color. I have to admit, black is probably my number one choice so far. We'll see as time goes on. Larry

Luva65wagon
January 20th, 2021, 10:35 PM
Fixed the link. I like that gasser. And the orange, but Carol is the boss. [thumb]

BadBird
January 23rd, 2021, 11:04 PM
For you guys that are good with computers, how would this look on the door of my car with "BADBIRD ll somewhere in the scene? Hope this shows up correctly. Larry

Luva65wagon
January 24th, 2021, 12:22 AM
Tough to do on the quick - and my font selection sucks compared to what I usta have. But here's a 20-minute attempt.

BadBird
January 24th, 2021, 12:34 AM
Holy Cow Roger, I love it. The only thing is, it has a TM at the bottom so it would have to be a little different. BUT, you did a great job. I will have to decide on paint or decal. BUT, you continually amaze me. Larry

Tough to do on the quick - and my font selection sucks compared to what I usta have. But here's a 20-minute attempt.

Jeff W
January 24th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Hi Larry, fun project and here are my thoughts for you to noodle on or ignore:

- This is not a tribute car of Bad Bird One so it may deserve it’s own, unique name instead of the “2” or “Junior” moniker. New project, new year, new name.

- I know your quality or work and attention to details. Paint instead of decal would set it apart from the temporary posers. You may remember Micheal and Michelle Munoz from out club. They have the black wagon with the crazy pinstripes (mini regional). They are super nice people and own their own custom paint and upholstery shop “bloody knuckle customs”. I think they would do a fantastic job with any graphics or stripes you may want to do on top of your applied paint color. At least the would be a creative brain to help coach you in the right direction. We are a bunch of mechanics here. That is why I ask my daughter or wife for design advice.

- I always think two-tone cars stand out at shows... I love the “paneled” paint of the early 70’s cars. That is simple enough and straightforward for a home garage paint and then bring to a pro for the edge stripe and and added graphics prior to clear. That way you could still have your black and another color to make it stand out.

- If you go with a gloss black, I have always liked the gold leaf graphics with bright outlines and showdown in a bright color... that way you get the best of both worlds.

Jeff W
January 24th, 2021, 12:16 PM
One final thought. If you want to use the Bad Bird... which is an awesome name, I would think about just dropping the “2”.

99% of the people seeing it have never heard of the original Bad Bird and the rest of us will know which project you are referring to.

Jeff W
January 24th, 2021, 02:15 PM
Fun stuff.

if you have anything specific in mind, my daughter would be happy to scratch a mock up. He just got an iPad for Christmas and enjoying goofing around with her programs.

BadBird
January 24th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Thanks Jeff, I agree with the leaving off the 2 number. And I also agree very much with the gold leaf graphics. I also like those. Thanks so much for the help and I will definitely keep your daughter in mind for the mockup. I do not remember the couple you mention, but will contact them for some input also and see if they are interested in the paint scheme and maybe even painting the car.
The more I look at the Copperhead color that Pat sent, the more I like that also. Lordy, this stuff is hard to narrow down. Thanks again, to you all for the great input. Larry

Luva65wagon
January 24th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Larry - not sure you look up in the right corner of the screen much, but I sent you a notification question about shipping cost on this car. Thanks.

BadBird
February 14th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Well, sitting in Tucson Arizona with my brothers outside drinking beer and soaking up sunshine. Talked to the shipping company about the car and Michigan just got a ton of snow. Now I see that Mill Creek has a bunch also. I may not get this car delivered until spring?? Oh well, just wait and study what I have to do to the car.
Stay warm. Larry and Carol

dhbfaster
February 20th, 2021, 08:36 PM
Looking forward to your next creation Larry!
I have successfully used “uship” to ship cars quite a few times now.
However...Maybe Roger wants to bring it over for you.

BadBird
February 20th, 2021, 08:48 PM
I talked to the company today and they are optimistic about getting to me soon. Heard that before. I tried "uship" and their bids were almost double what I got from this company. Their reasoning for the additional cost was the car is in-op meaning they needed a winch truck. Which I guess is hard to come by for long haulers?? To be honest, it isn't a huge deal for me getting the car right away since I have been traveling quite a bit. Also, I have to do some other work. In my new garage, I installed a golf simulator that I will have to dismantle. Poop. Always have to give something up!!! In reality, the car not being here gives me more time to study the rear end issues with installing a 4 link. The straight axle is also going to take some more research. I am pretty sure I will make my own headers and roll bar install. So, that means a purchase of a Tig welder. Still want to see the bottom of the car to decide if I am going to buy the rotisserie. Lots to do. Having fun studying. But getting anxious to get started. Larry

Luva65wagon
February 20th, 2021, 11:46 PM
Looking forward to your next creation Larry!
I have successfully used “uship” to ship cars quite a few times now.
However...Maybe Roger wants to bring it over for you.

:WHATTHE: Roger's Auto Transport ???

gtaroger
February 23rd, 2021, 06:47 PM
Nice try. I retired from driving truck five years ago. Don't miss it at all.It's so nice driving a soft riding,quit suv rather than a big noisy hard riding ,stinky diesel. It was no fun dragging around behind you some thing that as big as some people live in.

Luva65wagon
February 23rd, 2021, 06:56 PM
I think people are gonna need to specify which Roger they are referring to.

Roger :BEER: Roger

BadBird
February 23rd, 2021, 07:41 PM
Easy. GTARoger and Roger. Over and out. Starting to sound like the movie Airplane and don't call me Shirley. Larry

BadBird
March 20th, 2021, 12:05 AM
Well, hopefully I got some good news today. They said they have a winch truck picking up the car on Sunday and should be to me on Thursday. I hope.
Now I have to take down my golf simulator in the garage and make room for this car. Really excited and anxious to start.
GTA Roger, let me know how your drag racing at Milan goes.
Larry

Luva65wagon
March 20th, 2021, 10:29 AM
Anxiously awaiting the first-sight pictures next Thursday evening!

OK, Friday morning works too.

gtaroger
March 20th, 2021, 02:18 PM
Bad Bird you know if no pictures it didn't happen.I hope every thing goes smoothly. I will give the results of our little trip.GTARoger

BadBird
March 22nd, 2021, 09:12 PM
Just got a note from the Falcon owner that the car is on the trailer and shipped. 7560

Luva65wagon
March 22nd, 2021, 11:12 PM
I'm so excited for you I had to get a closer look!

BadBird
March 22nd, 2021, 11:53 PM
Roger, Thanks for fixing the picture. The owner removed several pieces of trim that weren't securely attached and hubcaps to keep someone from stealing them. Lots of things going through my head. Not sure what the first steps are going to be, but believe putting a 9" rear end under it will come soon. It is interesting in talking to people who have built gassers. They did indeed start at the rear but what was interesting is they recommend getting the rear tires and wheels to establish not only the needed wheel well clearance, but the width of the rear end based on the backspacing of the wheels. Almost all said they used standard width Falcon rear ends which is why they have cut out the wheel wells.
Any of you who have built or worked on gassers can chime in on any ideas or suggestions. They will be appreciated. I also am asking the same type questions of Gasser Sites. Larry

Luva65wagon
March 23rd, 2021, 10:40 AM
Larry, If you plan to race this I'd consider a 4-link in the rear and design it for some big tires. I suspect even with cutting wheel wells out (and we still need to hunt down those fenders :( ) they narrowed the 9" housing and tubbed it.

I'd get the wheels and tires for the rear and (depending on how much work is actually needed on the rear quarters) figure out where to cut. I've never built a gasser, but I think the best start on any project is to gut it to the raw sheet metal, put it on the rotary if you have one, and build it back up without anything in the way.

BadBird
March 23rd, 2021, 08:01 PM
I am definitely going with the 4 link system. Also, from what I am hearing when you get rid of the leaf springs there is room for the tires without going to a narrowed rear end and tubbing. That does mean the tires will stick out from the side a little, but most of them do when they have slicks installed.
That seems to be the reason they told me to start with wheels and tires, get the acceptable location of the tires established then measure the distance between the wheels and that will determine the width of the rear housing. For that reason, I have spent quite a bit of time in learning to narrow the rear housing. I know that you can purchase narrowed rear ends, but this is another one of "I want to do it" tasks that are what has made building these cars so much fun.
Also, spent time on tubbing and what is needed. That is another task. More to learn. Larry

BadBird
March 31st, 2021, 03:13 PM
Well, I have a brand new project sitting in my garage. Got it yesterday and took a few pictures. I will post them later. It is a grubby little worm, but in a lot better shape than my 64 was when I started it. I now have to start gathering parts. So if anyone has a 9" housing sitting around gathering dust let me know. Anxious to get started and now to lay out an attack plan. Larry

Luva65wagon
March 31st, 2021, 03:28 PM
Grubby little worm isn't what I expected as a first impression but I suspect as you strip it down to nothing it's going to hopefully improve. Might be near time to check out that Bremerton wrecking yard too.

gtaroger
March 31st, 2021, 08:43 PM
Glade to hear that it's on it's way. My cousin built a 63 falcon like your. He built it look like a gasser. We put a stock 57 Fairlane 9 inch rearend in it.He put 10 inch wide 15 inch Ansons rims on it . I don't remember the off set.For the front end We took a Econaline van front axle and cut it in the middle and removed some of the axle and then welded it back together.It wasn't the safest set up but it worked . As far as I know that set up worked for over ten years with no problem.He ran L-60-15 tires on the rear and on thr front Ansons narrow rims with very narrow tires.What was even funner than the home made from end was it had a mild 289 with a four barrel carb ,T10 four speed trans and a 4.56 locker gear. It was surprizing how fast it went from light to light. I dought if it went over 85 mph ,but it sure got there in a big hurry. He bought a 62 panal delivery Falcon that had the same set up in the front end,298 ,Auto trans ,9 inch rearend. He got it for his brothers 16 birth day.At the time I had a 64 Futura with a Built 289. ten bolt top cover four speed,and a 9 inch rearend.Falcons run a long way back in my family.GTARoger

Luva65wagon
April 5th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Larry - the anticipation is crushing! Have you found it better or worse than you thought? Inquiring minds and all that...

BadBird
April 5th, 2021, 09:26 PM
Sorry, I have a home furnace on the blink and it's taking me away from everything.
The car is in great shape. There are a few dents, nothing too difficult to fix. The interior, door panels, carpet, headliner, rear seat foam and upholstery are all going to the trash. The back wheel wells will be my biggest job as far as the body goes, but I have a great guru to follow on that. (Roger).
I would really like to see if anyone here has a 63 Sprint. If so, would you take pictures of the SPRINT badge holes locations from the inside of the trunk. I just need to finally verify if this is a Futura or a Sprint. The previous owner is still leaning to it being the Sprint.
The instrument panel looks fantastic. Dash is okay too. Bucket seats look good, will need new upholstery. The center console will need to be re-chromed along with all the trim around the interior of the windshield.
The tires and wheels are 13" along with the hubcaps. I will be selling those. Going to pull the 289 and will take a look at the numbers to see what it is from. The four speed is in the back of the car, not sure of it's condition. Probably won't be using it either, but who knows.
I will try to get some pictures posted tomorrow. When I said it was a grubby little worm, that is only dirt and junk to clean up. Car is even better than I hoped. Larry

Jeff W
April 6th, 2021, 06:58 PM
Better than expected is wonderful! Congratulations Larry.

John Barone
April 7th, 2021, 09:31 AM
Hi Larry,
I'm new to the forum and noticed your request for a Sprint pattern on the rear panel. I have a 1963.5 Sprint. Attached is the pattern of holes for the letters "FALCON" on the inside of the trunk. I have attached a drawing of those pins as depicted from the inside of the trunk. I hope this helps determine which you have, a FUTURA or a Sprint (FALCON).

Regards,
John

gtaroger
April 7th, 2021, 06:25 PM
Congrats! Glad to hear it there and in great shape. GTARoger

BadBird
April 8th, 2021, 01:25 PM
John, thank you so much for going to the trouble of getting these. I didn't say what I needed very well and I apologize. The holes I need are the ones that have SPRINT. Either this one will have FUTURA or the SPRINT lettering. Does that make sense? Thanks again I appreciate it. Larry

John Barone
April 8th, 2021, 01:52 PM
Larry,
If your Falcon is a Sprint, it will have the letters on the panel below the trunk lid spell "FALCON". If it is a Futura, the letters will spell "FUTURA". The only exterior emblems that spell out Sprint are on both front fenders and on both B-pillars.

John

BadBird
April 8th, 2021, 06:46 PM
John, you are absolutely correct. I apologize again. AGE?? I even posted here on this post about that specific way to check on the Sprint. Thanks very much for the picture, I am going out to check on it this evening. Also, went to your post and viewed your Sprint. Beautiful car and glad you are on our Forum. Thanks again and sorry for being a dunce. Larry

BadBird
April 8th, 2021, 08:14 PM
I checked the holes in the rear of my Falcon against the picture that John sent from his Sprint. The holes do not match so I have a Futura. Good, now I can start cutting stuff apart for the gasser front end. Going to pull the 289 out tomorrow, hopefully. Also, checking the trim that came with the car and it looks like I am missing one piece that goes around the rear window along the top L/H side. Most of the trim is in decent shape, a lot better than my 64 was. The grill is in fantastic shape. Very few minor dings. I am attaching a couple of pics and you can see how bad the rear wheel well work was. Sure nice to be working on something. Larry

gtaroger
April 8th, 2021, 08:22 PM
Saw the pictures, It's for real.

BadBird
April 20th, 2021, 01:25 AM
Been a busy week. Got our furnace repaired. Worked on the car a little. Got the radiator and other odds and end removed. Just got tired of looking for tools. I have my garage that is attached to the house with all my tools. Now the Falcon is in my newer garage in the back. So, I had to get tools back there more available. NOW, most of these tools I got when I bought a storage locker which had thousands of dollars of new tools. So, here is a picture of what I did over the weekend. Now I can find something without running back and forth.
Next item of business is to remove the engine and then the front suspension. Which brings up a question. Is there anyone that would want the suspension parts? Also will be getting rid of the 289 in the car. Another question for another day is that I found out one piece of trim along the back window is missing. It is the straight piece that runs from the upper middle of the window to the left hand upper corner. Maybe the junk yard? Won't need it soon for sure. More to come. Larry

Falcongek
April 20th, 2021, 11:34 AM
I think that looks so cool.
If i get a new garage im planning something similar with my shoptools.

BadBird
April 20th, 2021, 09:14 PM
I got tired of looking for tools. At Boeing we borrowed something called 5S which we called Sorting, Sweeping, Standardizing, Simplifying and Self Discipline. But one specific part of that was really needed to eliminate tools being left inside the airplane which created dangerous issues. So we built tool kits so when the work was done you could visually check to see if all the tools were returned.
NOW for me, I have a son and grandsons who were always borrowing my tools and never returned them. So, I built tool boards so I could see instantly if all the tools were returned.
It helps in locating tools and when I am done working, I check to see if I put everything back.
So, getting some work done. Hood is off, header bolts removed, brake master cylinder removed, and a few other small items. Header bolts were a royal pain. Larry

BadBird
May 1st, 2021, 10:39 AM
I guess I am stumped. Everything that I have seen and heard from gasser owners tell me to start the build with the wheels and tires that I am going to have on the car. BUT, they say have the rear end installed also.
So here is my problem. I am going with a 4 link suspension and a 9" housing. So, how do I get the correct wheels and tires when I don't know what will fit with the rear end? Need to know the back spacing on wheels, width of tires and height.
Guess when I get those I sit the tires/wheel in the wheel wells and measure the distance between the wheels? Start there?
Any of you racers out there or if you have worked through this issue, let me know. Larry

beerbelly
May 1st, 2021, 12:12 PM
Are you planning to mini-tub the rear wheel wells? If so, that might be a good place to start measurements (once they're installed). It would help determine axle width, wheel offset & possibly 4-link attachment points.

Luva65wagon
May 1st, 2021, 12:40 PM
Larry,

I think the process might be: 1) Get cart, 2) Get horse, 3) put cart before horse. Or is it the other way around? I don't know.

Luva65wagon
May 1st, 2021, 12:55 PM
I think you have to (as said) determine what your wheel/tire combo will be and if you're doing the flare opening (like my Ranchero) how much wheel/tire combo do you want poking out the side. Wheel offset, I think, should be neutral (close to center) on wide rim/tire setups to minimize lever-arm stresses on the axles and bearings. Just my engineering mind thinking this, but others may say it don't matter. Obviously if you were at a swap meet - remember those? - and found a set of wheels and tires... you'd work around those. Make 'em work. And, if you had a rear-end and didn't want to cut it, you'd work around that. Gassers of old were "use what you got" and go race the thing.

Go watch a few episodes of Full Custom Garage with Ian Roussel and watch how he works. He just doesn't think about it, just does. Sort of reminds me of me is a way. No problems, only solutions.

And we need to make that field trip soon before they crush those Falcons over on the other side of the pond.

BadBird
May 3rd, 2021, 06:15 PM
I really would like to have your mental acuity in attacking these problems. BUT, I seem to have been skipped on that part of my brain. I will be purchasing the 15X8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing. Along with 275 60R 15 X 28" tall tires. Then. place them in the wheel wells measuring the distance between the wheels for housing dimensions.
That will show me how far the wheels interfere with the inner wells for tubbing and/or stick out from the outer wheel wells to determine if I need to cutout the wheel wells or repair the outer skins.
Then I purchase a 9" housing from someone and a 4 link suspension kit. All this will hopefully show me if I need a narrowed rear end.
Sounds like a plan? Sorry, I have to see this before I can do this.
So, lets go buy some fenders Roger!!!!! I wonder if I should cutout the rear panels in case I decide to mini-tub and restore the wheel well cutouts that I have?
Larry

Millennial Falcon
May 5th, 2021, 07:13 AM
Can I be of any help?

I live in Bremerton and can take pictures of stuff!
I'm not real knowledgeable on all things Falcon, but I am physically here.

This is about the junkyard discussed in December, not sure if you guys ever made it.

Luva65wagon
May 5th, 2021, 03:40 PM
It was. Larry and I were going to make a day of it. I'm still game Larry. Twisted my ankle a week ago and have been hop-along-casualty the past few days, but as soon as I can stand on my own, so to speak, let's make the trip. Millennium, if you're over there, perhaps you can verify they still have some Falcons to see.

BadBird
May 7th, 2021, 04:41 PM
Hope you are feeling better Roger. Let's go get those fenders. Larry

Luva65wagon
May 7th, 2021, 05:18 PM
Thanks Larry. It's been a slower than I'm used to recovery, but today I spent 3 hours tinkering in the garage and survived. Haven't even been out of the house for 7 days, so that's nice. Maybe we can go next week! Check your schedule.

Millennial Falcon
May 13th, 2021, 09:37 AM
I will be going to Horseshoe Auto Wrecking this weekend in search of the clutch pedal assembly i need, ill take a few pics of what i find.

Also, any tips on the pedal assembly? I plan to just grab what i think i need out of a round body and hope for the best.

Luva65wagon
May 13th, 2021, 09:53 AM
My ankle healing has be slow, so I did a little research and though their site shows no Falcon on the inventory list, if you use the search engine for specific parts for specific car (auto wrecker search site) they show having Falcon fenders, which is what Larry needs a pair of. So perhaps you can see if they really do have a pair of 62/63 fenders. And if so, see what sort of shape they're in.

As for your pedals, you can get just the pedals and leave the dash to firewall pedal support bracket. Or get it all as an assembly.

BadBird
May 13th, 2021, 04:02 PM
Hope they still have some decent fenders. Glad you are healing. Older means slower in everything Roger. At my age if it isn't broke it doesn't work, so get well soon.
I ordered wheels for the car and will order the 4 link system soon. Can't order or buy a used 9" housing until I get the wheels to verify the width I need for the housing.
Also trying to decide what straight axle system to get. Some just bought a straight axle and used leaf springs available for trailers. Still thinking about that one. Larry

Luva65wagon
May 13th, 2021, 04:12 PM
Thanks Larry. Of course I'm my own worst enemy.

You may want to call that place too. Their web site says they only allow pickup of pre-ordered parts. They may have definitive info on the fenders they have.

beerbelly
May 14th, 2021, 04:17 AM
I'm following this thread because there's nothing cooler than a Falcon gasser!
Regarding straight axles, have you seen these options from Speedway?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=%20%20straight%20axle%20kit%20gasser% 20Ford

Here's a couple from the PIR Beaches show a couple years ago:

BadBird
May 14th, 2021, 11:58 AM
Roger, I called Horseshoe auto wrecking. He is going to check to see if the Falcon fenders are still on the lot and email me back. They don't require you to do anything other than to pull off what we want. Do you want to wait until Monday to see what Matt finds out on the weekend? Larry

BadBird
May 14th, 2021, 05:46 PM
I heard back from Matt at Horseshoe and they don't have any fenders for Falcons that would even be close to usable. Larry

Luva65wagon
May 14th, 2021, 11:12 PM
Well, that's a bummer. Maybe Matt will confirm this if he goes there this weekend. Or soon.

I think the guy who posts on Craigslist all the time may have a fender, wherever Elkhorn Plain is - or whatever the place is called. I think that it's between Tacoma and Mt Rainier somewhere.

Ultimately you can cut the fender and make a flat flange mud flap like thing. I have a pair of Ranchero rear fenders I kept, The flares (stock shape) are not too bad. You'd for sure have to have deep tubs and probably still a means to lower the axle to get the wheels and tires off.

BadBird
May 18th, 2021, 11:19 PM
I have spent the last 5 days talking to the rear suspension companies about my Falcon. I talked to Jegs, Summit, Heidts, TCI and others. I told them what I am building and so far unless I want to spend several thousands their systems are not meant for drag racing. They are all involved in road racing or drifting. I almost bought the system from TCI until I asked them about their crazy cost of their shocks at $800. They finally admitted that their system would not support hard launches with slicks on a sticky drag strip. Heidts was up front and said theirs wasn't meant for hard drag racing. BUT, all the companies said they sold systems for $5,000-7,000.
I am not going to spend that on my car that I might drag race a few times. Wouldn't be prudent. So, unless I get some great revelation, I am going to do what I did with my 64. Go with new leaf springs, Cal Track traction bars, 9" housing with posi-trac. My brother has a new center section with 4:56 gears for sale. Might be a little to low, but???
That may not be the best for drag racing but I can't afford to spend that much on the rear end when I need a bunch more for the engine/tranny.
As always, please, feedback and ideas. Larry

Luva65wagon
May 19th, 2021, 10:55 PM
Larry,

Add subframe connectors and a few added plates here and there to increase stiffness and build it old school. I bet you can get away with as much as they did in the 60's with these. They were building gassers long before a TCI existed.

BadBird
May 26th, 2021, 12:54 PM
Waiting on wheels to get here from Summit. Called them yesterday after receiving an email showing that part of my order has shipped on 5/21. I wanted to get a tracking number and they said the order for the front wheels and lug nuts would be here the week of 6/7. Which, I didn't know what "week of" meant, so they explained "any time during that week".
I am pretty patient, but when I heard that I asked where the parts were coming "from". Phoenix was the answer.
A little perturbed I said pony express could get the parts to me from Phoenix quicker than that!!!!
She apologized and said it was Covid that was causing the delay???? She got a little upset when I asked why?? Did they not want to get within 6 feet of me???
Guess it doesn't matter, the rear wheels won't ship until the week of 6/27. Great. Oh well, got a lot of other things to keep me busy.

gtaroger
May 26th, 2021, 01:26 PM
I have the four link from Heidt.The mount are mounted to the inside of the frame rails for more tire clearance. It is plenty strong enough for what you plan.It has four links with a tracking bar.I'm running a 4.11 nine inch with Nitti 555 Rs. It hooks hard and goes stright with no problems.Gets no wheel hop at all.I think if you make a new cross member to mount the upper control arms , you would gain a lot of clearance. My car has the stock inter wheel wells.If you like I will crawl under and get a few photos.GTA Roger

BadBird
May 26th, 2021, 01:33 PM
When I talked to Heidts they didn't think their system would support 450-500 HP with slicks on a sticky drag surface. I liked the system and started to purchase it until they told me that. What horse power are you rated at? I do think I would have enough clearance after removing the leaf springs with the Heidts. Just not sure of strength. What type of springs came with your system? Yeah pictures from underneath would be great. Thanks for the infor. Larry

gtaroger
May 26th, 2021, 02:58 PM
If there's a weak part in the set up it's the control arms. You could make up a stronger set pretty cheap. the mounting brackets are plenty strong enough.Some chromoly control arms and solid bushings.

gtaroger
May 26th, 2021, 03:02 PM
From what I 've been told by the engine builder it's close to 400 hp

BadBird
May 26th, 2021, 05:51 PM
That is great information and thanks very much. I will be looking at the Heidts again. I used Heidts on my 64 for the front suspension and loved how it performed. I will see if they might even offer different strength. Thanks again. Larry