PDA

View Full Version : Tilt steering has to much play

Voodoofalcon
January 28th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Finally got around to tearing my tilt column apart today. I noticed it was getting worse this summer. Flat out scary driving it on a rutted HWY. The nut that holds the u-joint together had backed off. I’ll post some pictures when I get it cleaned up and start putting back together

Voodoofalcon
February 8th, 2018, 08:12 PM
FINALLY getting around to working in my tilt column. I upgraded the pins for the jaws. I guess they are notorious for working there way out. Upgraded to longer E clip style

Voodoofalcon
February 8th, 2018, 08:21 PM
I also discover my column was a Tilt / Tilt away. The Tilt away was disabled but they did not do a very safe job of it. The put a little epoxy on the tilt away pin and called it good. I tapped the hole and installed a set screw to push on the pin I cut down. A little loctite and it’s never going to move.

Luva65wagon
February 9th, 2018, 08:37 PM
As usual - looks like fine work. What steering column is this from? OEM or aftermarket?

Also - any word (yay-nay) on the parts we PM'd about?

Voodoofalcon
February 10th, 2018, 08:16 PM
It's a 1967 Mustang or Cougar Tilt / Tilt away column . One year only column since they went away from the Spear of death steering shaft and changed to colapable shaft in 1968.