PDA

View Full Version : Carb advice?

dhbfaster
December 26th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Here's another " it seems to be working ok" situation, but since it is off, any advice about whether I should do anything to this carb other than clean it?

dhbfaster
December 26th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Now the pic..

redfalken
December 26th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Do you know any of the history on the carb? If it was running good, I would just clean it up on the exterior and put a new filter on. Maybe you could pull off the bowl to clean and check float level but you will probably need to have a new gasket handy.

It's easy enough to pull and do a full rebuild later on if you think it needs one. I've rebuilt a bunch of carbs and they're usually not as complicated as you would think. And with the internet there's a lot of info out there to help.

dhbfaster
December 31st, 2014, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure if anything has been done to the carb or not.
Ant advice on the best place/brad of gaskets, filter or rebuilt kit?
I've been told there are some very low quality kits out there.

redfalken
January 1st, 2015, 05:23 PM
It's kind of hard to tell quality until you hold it in your hand. They probably run about $30 so it might be good to buy from a local parts place where you can return it if things aren't fitting or look cheaply made.

I can't think of a major brand for these kits. And I would stay away from vintage NOS Motorcraft kits. Stuff gets old and brittle over time. If Summit or Classic Inlines carry what you need, I would think they stand behind their products.

Luva65wagon
January 2nd, 2015, 08:32 PM
Don - Those are pretty easy to rebuild, but they are prone to having the bowls warp so bad they leak no matter what you do to them. I've had pretty good luck getting parts and kits from this place. Kits from local parts houses are as good as well, if that's all you need.

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/1904-_c_128.html