PDA

View Full Version : Instrument panel restoration

dhbfaster
December 23rd, 2014, 03:00 PM
Anyone know where I can get a new instrument panel lens?
Mine is not horrible but it has overspray on it and it has yellowed some from the Texas sun...I find others offered for sale, but haven't found the 61 yet.

Luva65wagon
December 24th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Don - can you post a Pic? I have a box full of dashes and may have a better lens. Not new, but may be better - if you don't find new. They just make a few different styles and would need to see what yours actually looks like.

dhbfaster
December 24th, 2014, 08:56 AM
I knew you were going to say that...and it's the one pic I left without getting.:doh:
I'll take a pic when I get back home on the 3rd.

dhbfaster
January 5th, 2015, 06:34 PM
So, I finally got around to taking a picture and this lens looks better than what I remember when I took it off...I think I am just going to try a good cleaning job- and at least try to get the glue patch off of there.
Anyone know for sure what kind of plastic this is? ( I know from work the wrong cleaner can make things much worse...)

Luva65wagon
January 6th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Don, Not sure the plastic type, but I've had great results using Meguires Plastic Polish and Detailer. You can probably get it on Amazon or Wesco Auto Body Supply. Makes it look brand-spanking new.

dhbfaster
January 8th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks Roger! I noticed your metal housing looks bran new too.
Are you using any kind of polish in that?

Luva65wagon
January 8th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Nothing new, no. Just cleaned up.

It's anodized aluminium like the grille is, and you can get some more shine out of it with any good polish - but it's not going to shine a lot. But it will clean it up some. And because it doesn't see a lot of touching and abuse - they usually clean up pretty good. I have about a dozen pods laying around, so if yours is dented up or something, I can probably find you a better one.