PDA

View Full Version : Sprint tach with EFI

doghows
May 19th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Has anyone had any success installing an original 1963 tachometer with a modern EFI computer motor?
I've had the tach restored and re calibrate for a V-8 and I have to have it in my car. Problem I have a tach signal wire from my coil but the tach doesn't wire up that way, so I need to figure out how to make it work.
Anyone....... :o

Tach has three wire: green, red, black. Signal wire from the coil is green. Common sense says, green to green, black to ground and red to power. NOT. I've read somewhere about a filter to correct the signal but now I can't find the info. HELP.

doghows
May 19th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Well research is showing me I'm screwed. Appears the the Falcon is one of the only cars to use this type tach. The wiring goes from the key to the tach then off to the coil. Thus making it a positive hookup compared to all the other tachs in the world that use a negative coil side for the tach signal.
Crap $450 down the toilet, guess I'll have to list it for sale.:mad::(

Nathan289
May 19th, 2014, 09:47 PM
You'll have to send that restored tach to me.

I'll send you my working non restored tach that you can then send out and have restored withnmodern parts:BEER:

doghows
May 19th, 2014, 09:58 PM
If it comes down to that well talk.

Luva65wagon
May 19th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Well research is showing me I'm screwed. Appears the the Falcon is one of the only cars to use this type tach. The wiring goes from the key to the tach then off to the coil. Thus making it a positive hookup compared to all the other tachs in the world that use a negative coil side for the tach signal.
Crap $450 down the toilet, guess I'll have to list it for sale.:mad::(

This is how I mentioned it was supposed to work, but I wouldn't consider it down the toilet - you'll sell it for that. I have a repop version I won at the meeting raffle in January or March, I'll swap you. :rocker:

Have you contacted the restorers? Can they modify?

doghows
May 19th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Post up a picture. I don't care if it's an original,I just want the vintage look in my car. You saw how cool that tach looked in the car, it has to be done.

They probably could but I don't want to invest another 2-3 hundred in a $4-5 hundred dollar tach!! Holy crap did I just say 2-3 & 4-5 hundred what am I thinking.

P.s. The sender did the trick. Temp gauge working!

Nathan289
May 20th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Find a $100 vintage looking sun pro.. I saw a nib one listed on evil pay yesterday.

Moon eyes makes a sun pro knock off.

Autometer sells vintage repops last time I looked they had something similar to the sprint tach but it was $250..

Luva65wagon
May 20th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I've never even taken the one I have out of the box yet. It, as I recall, has the Sprint logo etc but how much from there it deviates, I don't recall at the moment.

I have DSII is both cars now, so I'm not sure if even I could use it, or the original. The original, as I mentioned when looking at it on Sunday, is connected in-line with the ignition somehow (have not seen the schematic, so not 100% where and how) but was told if the tach fails - you are F.O.R.D.

Good to know the temp gauge works now. Too bad it didn't, by some miracle, fix the 42 MPH thing too. :doh:

doghows
May 20th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Like this one?

Luva65wagon
May 20th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Interesting. So it must be picking up the minuscule changes in current to the coil every time the the coil goes through a charge/discharge cycle. That is showing wired between the Ignition and Pink (resistance) wire on the stock ignition.

Nathan289
May 20th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Steve

How about this auto gage tach?

Probably not vintage enough..

doghows
May 20th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks Nathan. I haven't given up completely yet. The guy that rebuilt my tach won't call me back so I have a call into Ron Francis. That is the wiring harness I used so maybe they can help.
If not I'm still waiting for a picture of Rogers repop unit. If worse come to worse ill work you a deal for you defunct unit and send it in to work with my junk? I don't know I'm stuck on that original one. Just too cool.

Nathan289
May 20th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Steve,

I have a working non restored sprint tach.. its in my sprint..

I cant find the website anymore but there was a company that restored them with modern internals. That was the route I was going to go but as of right now I dont need to, as it works although sometimse not correctly.

I just threw out the auto gage as it just sits in its box in the garage.

Best of luck..

Why cant you just tap into the positive coil feed add a resistor and make it work?

Never mind you'd probably have to loop the power back to the coil..

You could sell it on craigslist for $495 like the guy in Portland is.

doghows
May 20th, 2014, 09:22 PM
So I finally got some answers and it came from another shop that rebuilds vintage tachs and so forth. He said the tach will not work in any way shape or form in its current state. He can however rebuild the inside with solid state components to make it work with all more normal ignition systems.
Another $275. Now do I do it or keep shopping?:(

Nathan289
May 20th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Go look at autometer's website and price them out..

I bet you'll send off that sprint tach

Sorry dude..

Old cars suck......... . The money out of your wallet that is...:eek:

doghows
May 20th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Getting it done don't bother me, it's the $450 I spent the first time that is bumming me out. Oh well off she goes.

pbrown
May 20th, 2014, 10:43 PM
How about something like this?

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/product-p/mpg2893.htm

pbrown
May 20th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Or this.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=moon+tack&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmoon+t ach&_nkw=moon+tach&_sacat=0

Luva65wagon
May 20th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Don't do it! That tach is worth more to you and the Falcon world restored than modified.

Here's a picture of the one I got at the meeting, which although I think I'll keep since it seems to indicate it will work on mine, you can get the same thing for $150 at Melvins:

http://www.melvinsclassicfordparts.com/catalogs.html

Go to their Falcon catalog and search for tachometer - I was not able to find it any other way.

Luva65wagon
May 20th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Lots of nice 2 5/8" tachs:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Gauges-/33672/i.html?LH_ItemCondition=3&_vxp=mtr&_nkw=2+5%2F8+tachometer

Nathan289
May 21st, 2014, 07:28 AM
Melvin sells a tachometer filter. Claims its a must with hei ignition systems.
Allows a person to use OEM tach...

I'd call and ask questions.. its $29.99

doghows
May 21st, 2014, 08:43 AM
I did it won't work with this tach. Thus type tach uses a positive signal and every other tach in the world uses a negative coil signal.
The original sprint type tachs will NOT work with anything other than a stock wiring harness. It pulls it's signal from the resistor wire and is tied into your ignition switch. I've spoke with MSD and two vintage instrument repair places and have been told the same thing three times. My only option is to send them the tach and have the internals replace with solid state electronics. Or I guess find a tach I like. So far option one is what I am leaning to. Haven't seen a tach I like enough not to use my original. I'm still looking though.
Thanks for all your help guys I really do appreciate it. Now it's decision time. :confused:

Nathan289
May 21st, 2014, 09:38 AM
I vote for Rogers option.
spend $149.95 with Melvin and get the knock off that will work with what you have.
Either sell your restored tach or keep it as a momento keep sake.

Luva65wagon
May 21st, 2014, 10:54 AM
I agree that there is a cool-factor to the original tach, but I just can't see any tach is worthy of that expense. You can sell the restored tach and get plenty of other more needed things worthy of that coin. But, I also get "it's yours and you can do with it whatever you want." Can't fault you for that. You might want to take the same mindset you had about the mondo-dollaro subwoofer. That original tach will be well seen.

Apart from the funky knob-thing on the Melvin's tach the rest looks pretty good.

doghows
May 21st, 2014, 12:38 PM
Update: Ron Francis wiring ROCKS. He believes they can get it to work with their kit which is in my car!! Chris and Ron himself are testing it right now. They had a tach similar to mine and are hooking it up today and calling me with the results. Everyone cross your fingers. I WANT MY TACH!!! [yay]

As for the sub woofer, I did some special coating for the guy that makes them so he is basically donating them to my car. He wants to start showing them off to the car world. Can you say right place right time!![thumb]

doghows
May 22nd, 2014, 11:10 AM
It's a sad day in tachometer world. They told me how I could make it work, but in the next breath told me it has possibilities of catching on fire, burning up the ignition circuits ect.. So I guess I'll just table the tach idea for now and see if I find anything that catches my eye.
:(:(:(:(

Luva65wagon
May 22nd, 2014, 11:20 AM
So... was that a 50/50 chance or just a slight 10% chance? :WHATTHE:

Maybe the Melvin's one would do ya in a pinch. It really isn't that bad in person.

doghows
May 22nd, 2014, 12:33 PM
In their circuitry the main wire we need to use is like 10 gauge, the wires on the tach are like 14 gauge. All circuits are supplied through the 10 gauge wire. He said they aren't worried about the voltage as much as the amps. Their test had the tach wire getting pretty warm when they loaded the circuit.
They said doable but no promises. I really really like my tach, but I like my car more. So for now I'll just go tachless. :3g:

Roger if you can, bring that tach to the BCC show so I can see it live in person. I might just order me one.

pbrown
May 22nd, 2014, 02:09 PM
It's a sad day in tachometer world. They told me how I could make it work, but in the next breath told me it has possibilities of catching on fire, burning up the ignition circuits ect.. So I guess I'll just table the tach idea for now and see if I find anything that catches my eye.
:(:(:(:(

Keep your tach and add this...

http://www.firebottleracing.com/index.html

Just kidding -- don't do that.

doghows
May 22nd, 2014, 08:52 PM
That's funny Patrick, my buddie said the same thing. Just put a fire extinguisher in your car! It's insured![thumb]

Isn't she beautiful!

Nathan289
May 22nd, 2014, 09:06 PM
Um... my sprint tach doesnt say rotund on it.

doghows
May 22nd, 2014, 09:24 PM
Picky picky picky. Same tach, the story I was told by a very old ford guy was that people broke into the cars and stole the tachs out of the cars. Well they did not make the sprint tach available to the dealers but the did have the Rotunda tach which was the same thing without the sprint logo on it.
Either way she's pretty right!! I've got a buyer lined up so looks like I'm just going to sell her off and look for something cool that will work. Maybe a 8" monster tach with shift light??:confused:

Nathan289
May 22nd, 2014, 09:59 PM
Looks good.

A big NO on the monster tach with shift light.

Id buy a knock off like Rogers and call it good

doghows
May 22nd, 2014, 10:05 PM
I agree Roger is bringing it to the BCC show so I can check it out so we will see. I tried the monster tach but it wouldn't fit between the dash and windshield. :ROTFLMAO:

Nathan289
May 22nd, 2014, 10:09 PM
I used to mount them to the dash under the ash tray. Angled 45* towards the driver.

That was in my younger days..

Now I like a little more subtle. Not crazy about it sitting on top of the dash either.

Mounted in the dash like the optional clock would be cool though.

Luva65wagon
May 22nd, 2014, 10:39 PM
I agree Roger is bringing it to the BCC show so I can check it out so we will see.

I'll bring it... installed!
:3g: