PDA

View Full Version : V8 Motor Mounts

tjmcb
May 6th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I have a 64 Falcon Ranchero with some tired engine mounts, is it possible to change these without removing the engine?

ew1usnr
May 6th, 2014, 06:29 PM
I have a 64 Falcon Ranchero with some tired engine mounts, is it possible to change these without removing the engine?

Yes. I had a motor mount break on a six-cylinder Falcon I had in the 80's. The engine was sitting sideways in the engine compartment. I put a jack under the transmission and jacked it up a little, changed the motor mounts, and let it back down. I don't remember anything being difficult.

tjmcb
May 7th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Thank you for the reply, I'm figuring I can just raise the engine some and replace but with headers it may be a pain.

If anyone else has any thoughts, let me know.

redfalken
May 7th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I've raised my six to replace mounts before. I placed a chunk of 5/8" plywood between the jack and oil pan to distribute the weight and it did no damage to the pan. As long as the wood is wide enough to catch the edges of the pan, it shouldn't do any damage. But using the tranny should work too.

SmithKid
May 7th, 2014, 07:08 PM
When my engine (302) and new headers were installed, one of the down tubes was riding on the steering box. We raised the engine with my floor jack with a 2x4 to support the pan and placed a 3/8" spacer between block and mount to tilt the engine. Works fine and same should apply, as others have said, to change the motor mount. Go for it!