PDA

View Full Version : Swap meets

doghows
August 14th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Anyone know when the next swap meet is?? I need new bumpers for the delivery project. Local chrome shops want $350-500 to re-do mine and when I checked at good guys I could get front and rear for $450 with cores.
Is Monroe the next one or is there one in Puyallup before then?
Thanks [thumb]

falcon cobra
August 14th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I think monroe is in oct. mexican chrome is not the best, they don't triple plate thats one reason it cost less. you get what you pay for...jh

doghows
August 14th, 2013, 02:34 PM
It either that or powder coat them. Mine are fairly straight but not show quality but I never intended this car to be a 10 pointer. I was hoping for 5-10 footer at best. She will be almost a daily driver with my shop logo on it.
Maybe I'll find a powder to match my silver paint and go that route for a while. I know a guy that can do it for cheap!!:D

falcon cobra
August 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Steve I think that would be cool, I have seen them power coated and they look really good, and good for business I would think. you can always get chrome ones down the road later...I want to powder mine someday...jh:BIRTHDAY:

doghows
August 14th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I think thats the plan, now what color??? Black to match the grill?, or match the silver color????:confused:

falcon cobra
August 14th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I'am no chip foose but not black, the car color will work well, if not change it. ask for a vote...jh

Luva65wagon
August 15th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Just looking at John's you see body color and it looks good. Kind'a a 90's throw-back when that was the big trend, but it still looks good. I would vote for a silver as close to chrome as possible. Straightening the bumpers is also maybe needed too.

For what it's worth the Mexican chrome I have on the Ranchero still looks good after 2 years! [thumb]

I think with any chrome you run a greater risk when you bolt them up and don't protect the bolts. I've seen most failure at this point of contact. I use nylon washers to protect the bolt-to-bumper contact points. Making sure you wax them also helps their longevity.

doghows
August 15th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I think that's the plan for now. I'll powder coat them and run like that till if and when I can afford the chrome ones.
I beat the hell out of those bumpers to get the small stuff out but they still need a bit of work, but if I'm going to replace them how much work should I put into them? Oh decisions decisions. Can't this just be mostly done for a while.
I guess I'm closer than I was 4 years ago.