PDA

View Full Version : Vent window lacth shaft - Do I tap it with a hammer?

ew1usnr
February 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Please see the two attached pictures. There is a little shaft that is sticking out from my wing vent window and is hanging up on the vent window gasket. Is the shaft supposed to be flush the latch? Can I tap it with a hammer to drive it further in?

Thanks. Dennis in Tampa.

falcon cobra
February 25th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Yes , it should be in farther, look at the vent on the other side..jh

SmithKid
February 25th, 2013, 07:45 PM
One of mine had been "tapped" on by someone before me and was peened over enough that it wouldn't go all the way in. I just replaced it with a standard roll-pin and all is now well.

Jeff W
February 25th, 2013, 08:30 PM
This one looks damaged as well. I would be afraid of damaging the pot metal latch. As Gene did I would gently drive it out from the backside with a pin punch and small taps with a hammer and bring it to a hardware store to match a replacement. I'm not looking at mine right now but think you have access from the back of the through hole. If you have help use the third hand to hold something like a second hammer or a chunk of wood against the latch to give it some backing so you don't snap it off the window frame.

ew1usnr
February 1st, 2014, 04:44 PM
The pin that holds my wing vent window handle in place works its way out and I have had to keep tapping it back in place. I tried several places to get a replacement slotted spring pin, also known as a roll pin or "C" pin, for the vent window, but have not been able to find the right size.

This morning, I pulled the pin out the vent window handle pin, put some Lok-Tite Super Glue on it, and then tapped it back in place with a hammer. It now seems to be fixed! I opened and closed the vent window a number of times today and the pin stayed in place.