PDA

View Full Version : Steering column

pbrown
July 24th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I need to do some brainstorming with you. I have a new Ididit steel tilt column. It is 2" diameter. The stock Ford column is 2 1/4" diameter. I need to find a clever way to shim the stock under dash mount. I need a material that is 1/8" thick that can be easily formed to take up the extra space. Any ideas? I was thinking about some 1/8" thick aluminum as one option.

falcon cobra
July 25th, 2012, 05:26 AM
patrick, I ran into the same problem with mine and I used a hunk of a timing belt from a 2.3 pinto type motor and it worked great and still have some if you need.....jh

BadBird
July 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Pat, I used the stock support and the Ididit steering column came with some steel half round shims about a 1/4" thinck that fit inside the original support to take up the space. This picture doesn't show it very well. Let me know if you want another picture. Larry

pbrown
July 25th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I better look in the box and see if there are some shims.

The timing belt is an interesting idea.

falcon cobra
July 26th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Also the belt works like a insulator and its close to 1/8th thick ....jh

pbrown
July 26th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I looked in the box. No shims. I'll call Ididit in the morning and see if they can send me something. Otherwise I may go with the timing belt.

Larry -- what length column do you have? I ordered a 30" unit based on a couple of threads on TFFN

pbrown
July 27th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I called Ididit. They sell a shim kit for $5. I ordered one.

doghows
July 27th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Off topic a bit but Larry what did you use for a gas pedal??

BadBird
July 28th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I bought a unit/kit from Lokar. It has the linkage for the forward side of the firewall that goes up to the carb. I believe I bought it off of ebay. I like it, and it fits around all the crap down below. Larry

http://www.classicperform.com/tech_articles/FloorIt/FloorIt.htm

doghows
July 30th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks Larry, I like it because it doesn't show all the linkage. Sorry for the hijack Patrick..

pbrown
August 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
Here is what the new paint looks like on the column.

falcon cobra
August 2nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
What kind of wheel are you going to use??....jh:shift:

pbrown
August 2nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
What kind of wheel are you going to use??....jh:shift:

Billet Specialties Vintec

http://www.billetspecialties.com/half-wrap-steering-wheels/standard-14/30425/

pbrown
August 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
Okay, what is the trick to getting the lighter socket out of the dash?

redfalken
August 2nd, 2012, 10:48 PM
Mine just has an outer sleeve on the back side that screws off. You may need to hold the inside while you unscrew the back. Off course, step one...disconnect battery.

It may take a little force. There are teeth on the end of the outer sleeve that dig in to the back side of the dash to hold it in place.

pbrown
August 2nd, 2012, 10:56 PM
Mine just has an outer sleeve on the back side that screws off. You may need to hold the inside while you unscrew the back. Off course, step one...disconnect battery.

It may take a little force. There are teeth on the end of the outer sleeve that dig in to the back side of the dash to hold it in place.

Thanks. I just pulled it out. That was a PITA even with an empty dash.

pbrown
August 3rd, 2012, 07:16 PM
I'll be trying to roll the Falcon out of the garage in the morning to paint the dash. I can't get both doors open at the same time in my small garage. There is no steering wheel or column installed so turning will be tricky. Any volunteers?

redfalken
August 3rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
What time? I could come over for awhile.

pbrown
August 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
I'll get started at about 9:30AM.

I was prepping and painting the backside of the glove box door and a few other small parts. It didn't go well. I washed them with soap and water and then wiped them down with PPG wax and grease remover. Still I had massive fisheyes. I'll have to redo them tomorrow.

pbrown
August 4th, 2012, 04:29 PM
The color is on the dash. I'm just waiting for it to dry so I can get the clear on there.

Luva65wagon
August 6th, 2012, 02:53 PM
What fun. Will look very nice once it's all in with the new dash.
[AGREE]

doghows
August 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Patrick how did the gauge cluster turn out?? Was the color good on the panel? Like to see how it all turned out.:confused:

pbrown
August 13th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Here is what it looks like so far. I have a problem with the column so it's going back to Ididit for modifications. I'll be installing the old column to get me rolling again until it's back.

The gauges look great. The powder coated bit is seen only from the side.

redfalken
August 13th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Looking good! Are you going to weld up those holes from the old pedal?

...I have a problem with the column so it's going back to Ididit for modifications...

So does that mean they'll add something to the end and you won't need to repaint?

doghows
August 14th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Looks nice, are you going to the Mini Regional? Love to see all that in person.

pbrown
August 14th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Looking good! Are you going to weld up those holes from the old pedal?

I just have the old screws in there.

So does that mean they'll add something to the end and you won't need to repaint?

They are going to replace the tube and shaft. I'll need to repaint.

pbrown
August 14th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Looks nice, are you going to the Mini Regional? Love to see all that in person.

I hope to.