PDA

View Full Version : Tail light buckets w/back up on a '63

Luva65wagon
October 19th, 2011, 08:40 PM
One of my last discovers was the buckets I "kept" were not deep enough to accommodate the back up socket in the lens. They run into the tail light bulb. So I need to know what buckets I'd need for the 63 w/b-u? Did they have more than one style?

Jeff W
October 19th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Shortly after I bought the wagon and was selling the convertible, Kenny and I were going to swap the buckets - the convertible buckets were sweet.

I didn't notice the difference when I installed the wagon buckets in the convertible, but the passenger side bucket from the convertible would not fit in the wagon. It was too deep and hit the inner supports. I think the drivers side was okay.

Neither had integrated back-up lights.

I wonder if that is why the only back-up lights I see on the round body wagons and Rancheros have been in the tailgate. Have you seen any?:confused:

doghows
October 20th, 2011, 08:08 AM
This will be interesting because I was going to do the backup light in the taillight setup as well??? Please let me know if anyone has solved this one...

Jeff W
October 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I think you could cut out or modify the internal bracket support by your spare tire well on the wagon... I was not willing to do that just to get nicer buckets installed.

The Ranchero may not have that interference issue as the spare is safely stored in the passenger compartment.

doghows
October 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I can do that now I just need to find a good set!!!

Luva65wagon
October 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I don't recall there being anything that would have interfered with a slightly deeper bucket on the Ranchero. I don't know about a wagon or Sedan Delivery.

I could maybe try a different, more flush, socket. It has to be sealed well to keep the tail and brake lights from glowing the B/U lens. Maybe an LED bulb in the B/U place.

The stock shallow bucket and a B/U lens w/socket will allow the tail/brake bulb to touch the B/U socket and wires... eventually letting out the blue smoke. And you know you can't get the blue smoke back in once it is out.

Tinrak
September 7th, 2012, 03:55 AM
I don't recall there being anything that would have interfered with a slightly deeper bucket on the Ranchero. I don't know about a wagon or Sedan Delivery.

I could maybe try a different, more flush, socket. It has to be sealed well to keep the tail and brake lights from glowing the B/U lens. Maybe an led tubes (http://www.niceledlights.com/category/led-lights/led-tube/) in the B/U place.

The stock shallow bucket and a B/U lens w/socket will allow the tail/brake bulb to touch the B/U socket and wires... eventually letting out the blue smoke. And you know you can't get the blue smoke back in once it is out.

I think it must be LED bulbs as they are able to generate so brightness

Nathan289
September 8th, 2012, 01:24 PM
My 63.5 has back up lights.. do you want me to get part numbers or anything from the bucket?

Nathan