PDA

View Full Version : 3 speed transmission

EdsFunny
October 5th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know if the 3 speed changed much from 63 to 65?
I have someone at work who's got a '65 Mustang 3 speed to work
on. I've got the manual and IPC for a 1960/61/62 to loan him, but
I don't know if it's going to help. Suggestions?

doghows
October 5th, 2011, 04:47 PM
They are different. I went through that with the Ranchero Roger has now. It had a mustang 3 speed in it and I got a Falcon 3 speed from Roger and they were way different. I am sure Roger or Patrick will chime in with their knowledge as well. Kenny and Jeff probably have a good idea as well. I might still have a mustang 3 speed in my parts pile. I will look tonight and let you know.:D

EdsFunny
October 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Okay, thanks. I don't know much about the year changes and such. It looks like a
pretty straightforward job, but there's always something to make it awful, you know?

Luva65wagon
October 6th, 2011, 12:34 AM
The Falcon had what is called a 2.77 3-speed. This is a non-synchron 3-speed. The mustang got the full-synchro 3.03 3-speed. The numbers represent the distance between the input and idler shafts. They are easy to distiguish visually too since the 2.77 looks like you could break it by blowing on it.

You can use either in either car, but you have to get the correct tail shaft housing or do some fabrication if needed.

The 2.77 was a strictly 6cyl tranny, whereas the 3.03 made it in some low perf v8 cars IIRC.

EdsFunny
October 6th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Thanks, Roger. Sounds like he's going to have to find a Mustang
maintenance manual.