PDA

View Full Version : V8 versus 6 cylinder spindle stops

Luva65wagon
July 10th, 2011, 10:41 PM
When bolting on the suspension today and mounting the strut rods - I see the V8 spindles don't hit the spindle stops in the right place. I'm using the same stops that were on the 6-cylinder suspension, but didn't think to get - or look at - the V8 version. Didn't think.

Maybe somebody with a stock V8 suspension can take a picture of what these look like? I'll have to try and find a pair somewhere once I know what to get. If you have a pair, let me know.

SmithKid
July 12th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Mine are so caked with crud that I'm not sure they're recognizable, but take a look.

Luva65wagon
July 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks Gene. Yes, it is very cruddy. You should have someone work on that for you. I have a friend who has done a great job on mine...

:rocker:

I can't really tell much from the pictures though, other than something appears to stand pretty tall and proud from where it bolts to the strut. Here's a picture of mine. The yellow/red line is the area the stop should hit. The arrow shows the path it currently takes and the contact points.

I may be OK with these parts, but I won't know for sure until I have wheels and tires on to see how much turning the wheel causes a conflict.

SmithKid
July 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Yep, mine does appear to be taller than what I can discern in your pic. Sorry for the quality of my pics. I was too lazy to take the wheel off for a better pic, but will if you'd like me to. Once I get it off the dollies, I'll roll it out to the driveway area and use the pressure washer on it. I'd probably increase the fuel economy just from weight loss alone.

modified17
July 12th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I have a v8 front clip I cut off a rust bucket with all the suspention. I'll look tomarrow night and make shure those are on it. If they are you can have them and any other pieces you might need off of it if that'll help.

Luva65wagon
July 12th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I have a v8 front clip I cut off a rust bucket with all the suspention. I'll look tomarrow night and make shure those are on it. If they are you can have them and any other pieces you might need off of it if that'll help.

That would be awesome! Hopefully they bolt onto the strut and are not a part of the strut. But let me know what you find out! I have the entire front end assembled now, so I don't think there are any other unknowns up front.

[thumb]

modified17
July 13th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Well the stops are part of the strut rods on this clip so I checked under my hardtop and its one piece to. So maybe all hardtops are one piece. I don't know if cutting the end off of these struts and adding them to the top of your's would work or not.

Luva65wagon
July 13th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Chances are the 8 cylinder cars were one-piece. And no, you don't want to cut the end off, I'm sure of that.

If it's not too hard to pull them off (they can be a bear at times), I'd love to take them off your hands. I'd be willing to do it as well, if you want me to. Just say the word. If you do pull them... be sure to leave the end bolted to the lower control arm (two bolts per side) until you get the nut at the end of the strut removed first.

Thanks again for looking at it for me! :BEER:

doghows
July 14th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Sorry to but in but you said you have a front end on a parts car?? I need to find all the steering stuff from one. I switched to a 5 lug front and did not get any steering stuff. ie: tie rods drag link idler arm, pitman arm. If you have those would you be willing to sell them to me?? Let me know Thanks.
And now back to our regularly scheduled program.
If you have the front on already she is very close to being back on the ground again? Nice.:banana: It won't be long now...

Luva65wagon
July 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM
You are more than welcome to butt in at anytime. [thumb]

Sorry I didn't think about your need. I sort of have too much going on in my own little world at the moment to remember much of anything... Tunnel vision.

modified17
July 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM
The threads on the strut rods are very rusty. I don't think there'd be any threads left by the time you got them off. I know I have another set that I forgot about but I can't look for them till Friday night. I need to go visit my Dad in the hospital tonight. I'm pretty sure I still have all the steering linkage but I think it was power steering center link. I will look for that stuff Friday night as well. Hope Friday works for both of you time wise. Dave

Luva65wagon
July 14th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I don't think either of us are going to be out driving these cars anytime soon - so I think Friday - or Saturday or Sunday - will be just fine.

:)

doghows
July 14th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Or Monday or Tuesday or August or September. Mine won't be on the road till next summer I hope. It is going to the paint shop next week I hope. Probably be out there for a few months??? :( But it will be worth the wait :rocker:[thumb]

modified17
July 15th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Ok. I have all the steering linkage you are looking for Doghouse (Sorry I forgot your name. Steve maybe?) Tie rods, centerlink, idler and pitman arm. Roger I did a quick once over and didn,t find the strut rods. I should have them somewhere as I don't throw anything out. I will look somemore tomorrow or Sunday. Dave

modified17
July 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Found the strut rods. Give me a call whenever you feel like getting them. 425-481-1502 Dave

Luva65wagon
July 17th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Dave, What neck of the woods are you? That'll help to figure out when I can come get them. I appreciate your help too!

modified17
July 18th, 2011, 06:38 AM
In the Echo Lake area between Woodinville and Monroe just off of Highway 522.

doghows
July 18th, 2011, 08:29 AM
That is awesome. Maybe Roger will do me a favor and grab those parts for me while he is there. How much $ do you need me to send to you for the parts? I would be glad to stuff some in an envelope and ship it over. Send me a PM with your address and so forth and I will get it on the way.
This is the nice thing about these club. Someone will always have what you want and it makes keeping the cars on the road that much easier.
Thanks Guys. Steve[thumb]

Luva65wagon
July 18th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Dave,

I'm not sure if you will make the club meeting on Wednesday, but if not I am off on Friday and can arrange for anytime that day. Anytime on the weekend too.

And I can pickup the stuff for Steve too.

Thanks!

doghows
July 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Your my hero!!! Thank guys I appreciate the help..

Luva65wagon
July 18th, 2011, 01:18 PM
But you don't know how many times a day I curse your name for selling me that pile...

Just kidding... :p
It has been a much needed distraction.

modified17
July 18th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I can't make the meeting. I don't know about Friday yet. I've been spending every other day with my dad at the hospital giving my mom a break so she can go home for a little while. So far it looks like tuesday or thursday night or one day this weekend and I don't know yet wether it'l be Sat. or Sunday. I get home from work around 4:30 if that helps at all. Steve do you want the box to or just the pitman arm off of it?

doghows
July 19th, 2011, 08:13 AM
What ever is easier for you. I have a 6cyl box so I guess I should change that as well?? Thanks Steve

Luva65wagon
July 19th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I'm pretty sure the pitman arm from a 6 and 8 will bolt onto all steering boxes with a 1" output shaft. The exception is the 64, which has a funky 1.25" shaft.

I'm using the same box on the Ranchero with the V8 parts from a 65 on the 63 box. In fact I converted the entire front end to a 65 V8 since the parts are readily available. I got the steering column parts from a bunch of different vehicles (tube from a Mustang, cut to length, with the shift delete, turn signal switch and that section housing from a 65 Falcon). So, bottom-line, it all sort of works together. The boxes do have different steering shaft lengths. I can't remember right now which direction they go, but the Falcons seem to have had a couple different lenghts. I now have 3 or 4 boxes and the best-feeling one was the one in the yellow Ranchero. So that is going in, and if it feels bad on the road, I will have Red-head Steering redo one of the spares later.

Luva65wagon
July 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Dave,

I'll call your number after 4:30 tomorrow afternoon (Thursday). If you don't think you'll be around, let me know and I can arrange another time.

modified17
July 20th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Unfortunally I'll be at the hospital Thursday night and probally Friday night. Early Saturday morning will probally work if that would work for you.

Luva65wagon
July 21st, 2011, 10:57 PM
Dave,

We can shoot for that. I'll send you a PM to arrange all this.