PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Rack and pinion

doghows
June 24th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Will a powder rack and pinion from a Mustang work on my Falcon?? Found one over here real cheap and before I buy I want to be somewhat sure... Thanks Technical Guru's...[thumb]

pbrown
June 24th, 2011, 09:37 AM
You have powder on the brain.

Yes and no on the question though.

A Mustang 2 power steering rack will work on a Falcon is you completely change to Mustang 2 crossmember and suspension.

It will not work with the old parts because it is front steer and the older Falcon/Mustangs are rear steer. You could probably get it to work but you would have to remember to turn your steering wheel backwards to go where you want :WHATTHE:.

I'm just assuming Mustang 2 here because they are common in the aftermarket. Is it something else?

A better fit, if you want to do the fabrication, would be a mid-90s GM car like the Cavalier or similar. If you look closely at the RRS rack I have you'll see that this is what they started with.

Another good option is a SAAB rack because it has more travel. You want to try and get 6 3/8" travel. The GM rack is only 6 1/8". More travel allows you to retain the stock turning radius.

I hope this helps.

doghows
June 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks it gives me some good question to ask before I leap. I will get the answers before any thing changes hands. Thanks Patrick...

Wow was that a Freudian slip or what??? I need a vacation....

Luva65wagon
June 24th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Gee - thanks Pat. Now we'll be digging around the Pick and Pull looking for SAAB's - or worse - treading through the GM section!
:WHATTHE:

pbrown
June 24th, 2011, 06:23 PM
The key is to locate a rack that is center mount AND rear steer AND has a lot of travel. There are not a lot of options. There are several guys that have done a lot of experimenting over at TFFN (I do not endorse nore like TFFN in any way).