PDA

View Full Version : Reconstruction has begun.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Luva65wagon
January 25th, 2015, 10:00 PM
No anti-squeak pads on the spring perch? Most come new with rubber pads that attach using holes in the perch. I've seen those break and seem worthless these days. Poor rubber. I use fender mounting anti-squeak (used on older cars and trucks) and is the same material I've made the shock-tower brace hose hangers from and glue it in the same places where the rubber normally is. That'll never wear out. I'll send you over a enough to make pads. Clean the surfaces good and use the 3M weatherstrip adhesive and glue them on. I'll try to get it in the mail tomorrow.

doghows
January 25th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Cool thanks, I also found out my perches are in backwards so I need to flip those around as well.

Luva65wagon
January 25th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Cool thanks, I also found out my perches are in backwards so I need to flip those around as well.

Yes they are...

it seems we've had this discussion recently on the forum...

;)

doghows
January 27th, 2015, 12:53 PM
My new coils showed up last night finally. A week to me from Northern California..? Anyway I'll get them in her in the next day or two and let y'all know. :rocker:

Luva65wagon
January 27th, 2015, 01:50 PM
You should also see a little while buble envelope from me with some webbing material to glue onto the perches. I sent it to the shop.

doghows
January 27th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Cool thanks I appreciate that. [thumb]

doghows
February 1st, 2015, 03:04 PM
Well finally got out in the shop and put the delivery back together.
Got the new springs in, flipped around the spring rocker so it's incorrect and did the UCA drop. Sat her on the ground and she looks great.
It's raining here so me test drive today but I think she'll be great. Roger thanks for the insulater material.

doghows
February 1st, 2015, 03:05 PM
And here she is back on the ground!

SmithKid
February 1st, 2015, 03:13 PM
Lookin' good Steve!

doghows
February 20th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Ok it's Friday and I just got back from the alignment shop. It was a long two week wait but it's done.
What a difference UCA drop new coil springs (480lb) and new adjustable strut arms and bushings new alignment. She almost handles like a sports car. No more wandering no more OMG moments. I'm happy, let the sow season begin!!!! :banana::BEER::rocker:

doghows
April 5th, 2015, 08:30 AM
First show of the year! The Delivvery got a ton of attention. Most people didn't know what it was. Great weather and about 150 cars.

Jeff W
April 5th, 2015, 07:47 PM
First show of the year! The Delivvery got a ton of attention. Most people didn't know what it was. Great weather and about 150 cars.

Do they organize the parking by color?:ROTFLMAO:

ew1usnr
April 6th, 2015, 02:34 AM
The Delivery got a ton of attention. Most people didn't know what it was.

The new grill looks great. Sedan deliveries are rare. I have only seen them in pictures.

Gina K
April 6th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Sure is a beautiful grill Steve!

Luva65wagon
April 6th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Do they organize the parking by color?:ROTFLMAO:

Before I read these replies I thought to myself - you are in the "blue row."

Hope I get done enough with 'things' to do some shows this year too.

Luva65wagon
April 6th, 2015, 01:52 PM
The new grill looks great. Sedan deliveries are rare. I have only seen them in pictures.

I bought Steve's old grille to finally make my '63 Ranchero into a... '63 Ranchero. Currently looks like a '62. Hopefully will get that on this spring or summer.

doghows
April 6th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Yes the grill is a beautiful thing I'm very fortunate to have received it.
Good to have nice friends and nice to have good friends![thumb]

In case any of you missed it before. Gina was the kind donor of the awesome grill for the delivery. Come to think of it she hasn't even ride in the car yet?? Better work on that.

ew1usnr
April 6th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Yes the grill is a beautiful thing I'm very fortunate to have received it. Good to have nice friends and nice to have good friends! In case any of you missed it before. Gina was the kind donor of the awesome grill for the delivery.

For Gina's Wonder Comet:

doghows
April 21st, 2015, 12:44 PM
Well finally found a Tach I can live with. Got it installed and works perfect.
Now to find a posi and some gears. The delivery runs 1750rpm @ 70mph. I think I have the stock 3:00 gears in my eigh inch rear, so I'm thinking 3:73 posi is in order. :3g::D

MacDee
April 21st, 2015, 03:22 PM
Steve,
How is that tach mounted? I'd like to relocate mine to about that position. Is it mounted through the old speaker grill?

Luva65wagon
April 21st, 2015, 03:37 PM
Though I'm sure Steve will confirm this - all factory Sprint tach's were using the speaker grill screw as a mount.

Nice tach too. Too far away the picture to tell what it is you have. What brand? Did you sell the rebuilt Sprint Tach yet? That would make a good Raffle item. :ROTFLMAO:

Nathan289
April 21st, 2015, 03:43 PM
Sprint tach is not attached to speaker grill..

I can take pictures of mine if needed..

Luva65wagon
April 21st, 2015, 03:46 PM
Really? And here I thought I was being all expert about it.

I'd like to see a stock setup then, since I've seen a couple using the speaker grill.

ew1usnr
April 21st, 2015, 04:17 PM
Sprint tach is not attached to speaker grill.

Here are some pictures that I saved from e-bay of "an original Sprint tachometer" that was for sale. It looks like it uses another hole a little inboard of the speaker screw.

I would just use the speaker screw rather than drill another hole.

Here is another tachometer picture that I saved. What is the little round thing in the middle of the dash below the tach?

Nathan289
April 21st, 2015, 05:08 PM
Excuse the glare but the tach base splits the difference between the 2 speaker grill screws and sits right in front of the grill.

Norm1
April 21st, 2015, 05:38 PM
Looks like a stick on mini compass

ew1usnr
April 21st, 2015, 05:43 PM
Excuse the glare but the tach base splits the difference between the 2 speaker grill screws and sits right in front of the grill.

Nathan is right. I found this picture in the book "Falcon!" by Ray Miller. The tachometer is in the center of the dash. It would be off-center it it used a speaker screw.

That means that someone on e-bay was not telling the truth? How could that be? I don't understand.

Note to Norm1 - I think that you are correct. The compass would not be very accurate mounted there.

doghows
April 21st, 2015, 06:53 PM
Ok now that it's settled, yes Nathan that is how mine was mounted. But this one I did mount right through the speaker grill. I didn't want to drill into my pretty dash.
Roger it's an Autometer 2 5/8" tach. I got it from a guy on the falcon owners group on FB. My factory Tach is junk now. Parts at best. Spoke with another so called tach "expert" and he said you cannot make the old tach work like new and keep the original needle part? Oh well I'm happy now I like the way this one looks. :D

doghows
April 27th, 2015, 10:26 PM
The delivery is clean, washed, and detailed. Going on a 90 mile cruise on Saturday and the the show on Sunday!! Next Saturday may 9th is the irrigation festival here in Sequim. Should be a really good show this year. Expecting 200+ cars and 100+ motorcycles. Lots of raffles and trophy's.
If anyone wants to come over check these sites for more details!

www.northolympicmustangs.com
www.irrigationfestival.com

Nathan289
April 28th, 2015, 08:54 PM
I'm correct? Wholly sheeeit someone notify my wife...:ROTFLMAO:

doghows
May 2nd, 2015, 08:27 PM
So after a busy night and a long day today I fixed my transmission leak. I was suppose to go on a cruise today but spent the day under the car.
Shift shaft seal had broke and was leaking. I found a puddle under my car Wednesday night but didn't discover it until Saturday am. Quite the shitter that a $5 "O" ring can stop you dead in your tracks.
Oh well fixed now so I'm off to the car show in the am! :banana::rocker::3g::D

doghows
May 3rd, 2015, 06:16 PM
Ok second big show for the delivery and it was great. Good weather, and I won a couple prizes, and oh yeah I took first place in custom car class! [yay]

doghows
May 3rd, 2015, 06:17 PM
Got this as well! Go Falcon.

redfalken
May 3rd, 2015, 06:18 PM
Congrats! Better find a place to start displaying the awards now that you're on the road again! Job well done!

BadBird
May 3rd, 2015, 07:06 PM
Great job and keep them coming. It is so nice to see you getting the accolades you deserve. Larry

SmithKid
May 3rd, 2015, 07:28 PM
Way to go Steve! [BOW]

doghows
May 3rd, 2015, 09:02 PM
Another picture from the show.

doghows
May 3rd, 2015, 09:03 PM
And maybe one more. ;)
I think they had about 50 non mustangs and probably about 175 mustangs and Cougars. I think one parking lot had about 1.5 million dollars worth of cars in it. Including a $200,000 Shelby super snake. One of two made. (2010 I think). A couple boss 302's a 69 Mach I with a 428 cobra jet.

ew1usnr
May 4th, 2015, 02:22 AM
Ok second big show for the delivery and it was great. Good weather, and I won a couple prizes, and oh yeah I took first place in custom car class!

Congratulations, Steve!

Your Falcon looks great parked in the row with the other really sharp looking customs.

It is a lot fun to go to those shows to see the cars and talk to the other car owners. I always leave thinking "Gosh, if I only had a bigger garage!"

Did anyone honk and wave at you as you were driving to the show?

Have fun. Dennis.

doghows
May 4th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Thanks guys.
Dennis it does get a lot of thumbs up, and honks. I have to be ready every time I stop for gas or snacks as people come up and ask how I made the delivery out of a station wagon. They want to know how hard it was to replace the glass with the steel panels. lol
Best one I had yet was getting on the highway I stepped on the go pedal and just as I got to the merge lane on the highway I saw the lights and siren!
Got pulled over and the officer was a customer of mine and he said he just wanted to check out the car because he hadn't seen it done yet!! Whew I thought I was getting my first delivery ticket.
Well got another big show this coming weekend so we will see how she does there!
Keep on Falconing! :3g:

Luva65wagon
May 4th, 2015, 09:03 AM
I suspect you'll get a lot of awards with that car. Too unique and very well done.

I hope to make it to a show or two this year, but both of my cars look very sad at the moment. The truck is getting all the love. For now I must live vicariously through others posting car-show pictures.

dhbfaster
May 4th, 2015, 10:32 PM
Man...lookin good. I hope I can get out there with you next year. :3g:
No doubt after I get mine running...my wife will have me loaded with all the project I haven't been doing...:WHATTHE:

Nathan289
September 12th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Steve,

You selling your delivery or is someone scamming people on ebay?

pbrown
September 13th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Steve,

You selling your delivery or is someone scamming people on ebay?

I don't think I could trust someone that only had an eBay feedback score of 14 :p.

doghows
November 11th, 2015, 04:45 PM
Hey everyone I'm back from the dead. Well a lot has happened so here is the short version. Shop expansion complete! Super swamped at work and filled said expansion. Finally coming up for air so thought I better check in.
Delivery is not for sale, I did test the waters and got a very good offer but I can't sell her. Too much time work and sweat into it. So yes I'm keeping it and plan some more modifications this winter.
I will be swapping in an 8.8 rear axle from an explorer, it has 3:73 gears posi and disc brakes I'll post up on that deal.
I've been keeping an eye out and Dons project is looking very nice, I hope some of you other guys have been keeping up on yours as well.
So hopefully with work under control I'll be popping in more and doing some more write ups myself.
Hope to see everyone soon, but stay warm this winter! :3g::D

dhbfaster
November 11th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Welcome back Steve![yay]:rocker:

SmithKid
November 11th, 2015, 05:53 PM
WOW!!!
Glad to see you back, Steve! :) Also glad the SD isn't gone. Visit us as often as you can.

BPVan
November 11th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Good to see you back Steve, congrats on the expansion :sawzall:

doghows
November 12th, 2015, 06:44 AM
Thanks guys. Hope to make it over for more meetings and shows this year.
Maybe I can finally talk a few of you to coming over to my side for some shows as well.

dhbfaster
November 12th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Steve if I can ever get this thing done I'll be over at least once.;)

doghows
February 7th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Well it's been a while since I've posted so here is the latest. I picked up a 8.8" rear axle from a explorer a while back and I decided it's time to modify it and put it under the delivery.
I got mine from a 97 and it a 3:73 gear posi with disc brakes and 31 spline axles. And from all my research and investigating the theory is if I pull the long side apart, drill out the spot welds and shorten the tube by three inches that another short side axle with fit perfect and should put me at a 53-54 inch width axle. So I went for it.
Took about three hours from start to the point I'm at now which is to weld the tube back in place. Then I'll chop off all the brakets and get it ready to fit under the delivery.
If I had anything better than an iPad I'd post all the pics at once but it won't let me do it so ther might be a couple posts with pics for you.
This is my makeshift redneck press to get the tube out.

doghows
February 7th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Here she is fresh out of the band saw 3" shorter.

doghows
February 7th, 2016, 08:44 PM
And finally mostly back together. I need to take it to my friends shop and press the tube in about one more inch and then weld her up. Then clean it back up coat it and slam her into her new home under the delivery. :rocker:

SmithKid
February 8th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Not at all familiar with this particular project, Steve. Are shortened axles available for it? :confused:

Luva65wagon
February 8th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Not at all familiar with this particular project, Steve. Are shortened axles available for it? :confused:

I was gonna ask the same thing until I read it again. He's using 2 of the shorter axles. Typically you have one long and one short axle to get the pumpkin, which is itself off-set, back into the center of the tunnel. Not sure how that works with two equal-length axles will center this up in a Falcon, but I'm sure we'll hear soon...

... either a:

:rocker:

or a:

:doh:

or a:

time to get out the :sawzall: and start over.

doghows
February 8th, 2016, 11:13 AM
By removing three inches from the long side tube it centers the diff and you are correct by cutting the three inches it makes the axle the same length as the short side. Rock auto has a short side replacement for $84 and everything else bolts back up.
All I need is the new leaf spring perches then mount it all under the car, set my pinion angle and viola 8.8 posi 3:73 gears and disc brakes all in one shot. :banana::rocker:

If you look at the last pic the diff is now centered, in the explorer it's offset to one side. I'll measure to be sure but it should be equal length on both sides now.

Luva65wagon
February 8th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Measure center of leaf to center of tunnel and then again from the other side. Not sure if the Falcon is exactly centered. The pinion/yoke center to end of each axle is off-center because it is coming off the side of the ring gear. So the body of the pumpkin housing may be centered with equal length axles, but the center of the yoke is still off-set a couple inches.

Just trying to freak you out until you are home and can measure it. It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

doghows
February 8th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Well I hate to make your head any bigger but..... I measured from backing plate to backing plate and yes the pinion is set off to the passenger side about 1/2". Everything else is pretty must the same side to side.
But I think it's close enough and should be just fine. I've talked with a few guys running theses with no issues so it's all good.
Thanks for making me sweat this afternoon Roger, even though it's plenty hot in my shop! :BEER:

Luva65wagon
February 8th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Only a half inch? Hmm. Maybe that's all my head grew then.

Just sharing the love, my friend. Just sharing the love.

doghows
March 22nd, 2016, 11:01 AM
Roger I did some re-measuring on that 8.8. I think I misunderstood what you were talking about and what I measured.
the pinion is off center on the diff, but I have not test fit it under the car so when I do that it might put the pinion center off more. once I center it up and get the leaf perches where I need them it might be a whole nother ball game. we shall see!!

Luva65wagon
March 22nd, 2016, 11:33 AM
Well, I hope it all works out for you. Having the driveline shot at on two angles is not going to be a good thing.

What my original post and point was - is that the differing axle lengths center the pinion in the tunnel. I could not see how the pinion could be centered with two equal-length axles. The pinion yoke is off-center to the pumpkin because it rides on the side of the ring gear, which is usually more centered than the pinion is.

I guess you could shift the motor over to compensate. :doh:

doghows
March 22nd, 2016, 11:42 AM
It has me scratching my head a bit. Ive talked with a bunch of Falcon guys running them with no issues, but I agree too many angles is not a good thing.
even with equal length tubes the center on the pinion has got to be offset by at least 3-4" I would imagine.
Me thinks some more measuring is in order.

Luva65wagon
March 22nd, 2016, 12:41 PM
...the center on the pinion has got to be offset by at least 3-4" I would imagine....

That's what I would have thought as well, but was surprised with the 1/2" off-set measurement you mentioned before.

I've not measure 'left leaf-center to tunnel <-> tunnel to right leaf center' before, but if they are equal, then the center of the pinion should land there too. Compound angles on a u-joint setup to your steering box might be acceptable, but not on a driveline where even a couple degrees of difference between pinion angle and transmission can set off a nasty vibration. Add a center off-set to that? Ooh. Ugh. :doh:

doghows
May 15th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Well I went to a couple of shows this week. One was a casual get together in Port Gamble. Had about 40 cars there but I was the only Falcon.
Also attended the Sequim Irrigation show. Set up a booth for the powder coat shop and entered the delivery in the show. There was just over 200 cars at this one and at the end of the day I was the only falcon again however I did place first in the wagon class so chalk up another win for the delivery and Falcons. :D

SmithKid
May 16th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Yer car's still looking great, Steve. Congrats on another trophy.
What's the status /progress of your rear-end swap?

doghows
May 16th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Well after much more measuring and fitting and starring, it will work perfect. I'm going to install it this winter since show season is here. I've seen the same work on another falcon and it's amazing how perfect the 8.8 fits after you shorten that one side and so simple. I'll document it when I do it and I might do a four bar coil over set up as well.
I was pleased at the show because I beat out 3 Nomads, one woody, and a 59 Chevy sedan delivery that the guy has over 100k in. So :rocker::banana:

doghows
July 19th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Well here is my latest accomplishment. At first I thought he was kidding but there it is. My first magazine feature albeit online. But that's cool. He did just miss my Rainier club plate on the front.
Click the link and scroll down to the street feature.
www.streetmusclemag.com

ew1usnr
July 19th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Well here is my latest accomplishment. My first magazine feature albeit online. But that's cool.

Congratulations, Steve!

Cool! It is hard to believe that there were only 113 1963 sedan deliveries manufactured. I did not know that they were as rare as that.

Dennis.

doghows
July 19th, 2016, 08:37 PM
They made 113 of the body code 78B and about 850 of the body code 78A. Main difference is just the extra chrome all around.

And thank you I went to a small show on Sunday and this guy asked if he could do a feature on my car. I was right ok what ever. He called me today at work and said it was up online now and if they get enough comments on it there is a possibility of it going to a print magazine. He said they work with Hot Rod and a couple others like that so who knows. I was surprised it actually went this far.

Jeff W
July 19th, 2016, 09:57 PM
Nice article and totally deserved. Not many would have tackled such a big project and it turned out amazing. If not for you that would be a 2014 Kia by now...

SmithKid
July 20th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Yup! Nicely done article and well deserved. It was (is) great watching it happen, too.

Luva65wagon
July 20th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Not many would have tackled such a big project... If not for you that would be a 2014 Kia by now...

Hey - and Hey! I resemble both those remarks!

:WHATTHE:

Luva65wagon
July 20th, 2016, 11:03 AM
They made 113 of the body code 78B and about 850 of the body code 78A. Main difference is just the extra chrome all around.

Don't know what the 2-door wagon code is, but it is really that with the extra sheet metal. So all of them started off as a 2-door wagon, then were made into sedan deliveries.

...and if they get enough comments on it there is a possibility of it going to a print magazine.

I still have yet to look at this article (need to be at home to do it and have not had the chance to look), but there is a place to comment on it there? Cool...

Any mention of the club at all in the article?

MacDee
July 20th, 2016, 11:19 AM
I recently had an appraisal done on my Falcon by John Kincl, who was referred to me by Lance Lambert. When John came out, he brought a "Ford guy" friend with him. I didn't catch his name, but the first thing he did was tell me about the Rainier Falcon club!! "Did I know about it...?" I pointed to the decal on my right rear window. He then told me he once had a Sedan Delivery. He brought up a picture on his phone, explaining that the latest owner had redone it, and showed me... STEVE'S CAR!!

Small world.

doghows
July 20th, 2016, 01:49 PM
That's cool, I wonder if it was the guy I bought it from, or the original owner. I met him at a show kind of the same way. He saw my book and recognized the car. I wonder if he wants it back now?? NOT.
Thanks for all the kind words guys I appreciate it. Without all your help and encouragement It probably would not have gotten done.

I did mention the club to Kyler several times, and even showed him the front plate on the car. I didn't see any of the references I showed him. I even flipped my book open to the page with all you guys over in my shop helping with final assembly.

Well Ive been daily driving the delivery and racking up the miles (getting close to 10k by now) this weekend is a small show in Port Angeles and maybe Good Guys the following weekend. Ill keep an eye out for the clubs next adventure and see if I can make it over. Got myself a good helper at the shop now so time is getting a bit easier to come by..[thumb]

doghows
August 11th, 2016, 09:01 AM
OK my car is ready for some shows before the year is up. How bout you guys???

doghows
August 12th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Ok guys me and the delivery are going to be in Belfair Saturday at the "Taste of Hood Canal" show from 10-3. Looks to be a pretty good one they have live music, food vendors, arts and crafts for the ladies and trophy's for the lucky ones. Stop by and say hi if your in the area and I'll report after I get home. :rocker:

doghows
August 13th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Well the show was a success. Made the drive no problem and then came home the long way down around Union and then back up the hood canal. Did a little road racing on that windy road, it was a toasty day in Belfair at about 90* but had a great time. I was the only Falcon at the show and did get a couple of ?Awards? They had some strange ideas for car classes and awards but it was fun.
Homemade ice cream, BBQ, and about 10-15000 people. Show had about 150 cars.

doghows
August 13th, 2016, 08:27 PM
My wonderful iPad only allows one pic at a time so here's another.

doghows
August 13th, 2016, 08:28 PM
And this last one is for Roger!

Luva65wagon
August 16th, 2016, 09:31 AM
And this last one is for Roger!

That one looks a lot gooder than mine, but I'd hate to load that one up with my trash bins. Exact same paint scheme though.

Thanks for the post.

Wish I could help you on the posting thing. Doesn't make sense to me why the iPad restricts that image uploader.

doghows
August 16th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Thought you might like the truck. As far as the iPad thing or any I products they identify a picture as a jpeg but they don't assign it a number like jpeg1234 so each time you upload a new picture it just IDs it as a jpeg and put the new jpeg in pace of the old jpeg.
Did that make any sence at all?? But that is how it was explained to me. :doh:

Luva65wagon
August 16th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Thought you might like the truck.

Well yeah, I bought one. ;:)

You've not mentioned, but did that kid you were mentoring live-up to the call with the '67 you bought from me? Sure wish I had that engine now... :(

As far as the iPad thing or any I products they identify a picture as a jpeg but they don't assign it a number like jpeg1234 so each time you upload a new picture it just IDs it as a jpeg and put the new jpeg in pace of the old jpeg.
Did that make any sense at all?? But that is how it was explained to me. :doh:

So, are you taking these pictures and posting them as you are taking them? Or are you taking a bunch of pictures and then trying to post them later in the day or week? Whether Mac or Windows (or iOS) a file needs to be given a name. Even Mac's don't allow two of the same file name in a folder. It should be 1234.jpeg and 1235.jpeg (the file name DOT file type).

I might be able to help better if I understand how the pictures are taken and when, after that, you are trying to attach them to these posts. I have a good friend who is a Mac/iOS wizard. So can ask him if I need to. Might be worth making up a help document to help others with the same issue.

Luva65wagon
August 16th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Spent a few minutes looking into this, and here's a long thread discussing it:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6984600?start=15&tstart=0

Basically, it seems, the file names may be obfuscated (hidden) and you need to turn on something in the view settings - assuming you have older version of of the Photo app. You're SOL otherwise. An APPLE BUG. This above thread (16 pages and counting) deals with renaming files and apparently people renaming them in one place and then having them not show as that name in another. Whether that will apply here or not - I don't know. It seems a differentiation between exif data (all the data that explains when and how and with what settings a photo was taken; like ISO, F-stop, etc.) and that of the file system name (my_picture.jpg). Apple seems to care less about file system naming - though there is a file name. It's just not making it easy for you (or others) to see them and apparently select them, I guess.

doghows
August 17th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Well quick answers to your questions: the kid has moved to Las Vegas to pursue a career in the Air Force. The truck is still here in Sequim and another good friend has taken over the care of it. He's given it the "patina" look which turned out well. He getting ready to swap over to an auto with possibly a gear vendors OD unit as he wants to tow his vintage drag boat with it.

Pictures are usually taken with the iPhone in batches. Then I try to post up later and pick which ones to use. I'll look into the naming thing cause that seems to be the issue I've been told is the culprit.

And just to keep this falcon related:

Luva65wagon
August 18th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the update. Post a pic of the new look if you ever see it driving around.

What happened to the Doghows logo on the SD?

doghows
August 18th, 2016, 08:35 PM
The logo always seemed a little cartoony for me. I was just going to take off the winged dog part and put the word delivery under. So it would just have doghows delivery on it, but when I cleaned off part of the logo there were razor blade cut into the primer under neath it. Sooo I ended up repainting both side panels.
I'm going to leave it blank for now, I kinda like it better than what it had. Maybe I should have a contest for the best thing for the panels and give the winner some free powder coating?? :D

doghows
September 3rd, 2016, 09:28 PM
Well me and the delivery just got back from a week long journey.
I took some time off and went to visit my family in Idaho, I was going to fly but had enough time so I thought why not drive it.
I left Sequim Friday morning at 3:30 am. I drove through Seattle, and then up through Snoqualmie pass across Washington into Spokane. The trip took me through the Idaho pan handle into Montana and back down into Idaho. I spent a few days at my brothers cabin in Island Park Idaho then down into Idaho Falls to visit the rest of my family.
Thursday I drove to Boise to visit my niece and hung out there for a day or two before making the trek home yesterday (Friday).
The delivery did great, she averaged 24.6 miles to the gallon!! Only cost me $200 total for fuel. Now I did have a few small casualties on the trip. In Idaho I nailed a train crossing that shattered my front wheel bearing fortunately I was only 20 miles from my brothers cabin and I nursed the car in until we could make the repairs.
After I drove into Idaho Falls I went to start the car the next morning and she fired up then died?? Found out my TFI module on the dissy went out so we popped down to the parts house and got one.
The only other issue was my wiper switch acting up and as most of you know it was raining pretty good in Seattle on Friday so a few short rain delays and I was home.
I'll post up a few pics but check Facebook for the whole skinny. Enjoy!
:3g::rocker::D:banana:

doghows
September 3rd, 2016, 09:29 PM
This is how the wheel bearing came out!

doghows
September 3rd, 2016, 09:30 PM
And yes there are a LOT of bugs out there on the road.

ew1usnr
September 4th, 2016, 05:24 AM
And yes there are a LOT of bugs out there on the road.

Hello, Steve.

Your trip sounds like it was a huge amount of fun. I congratulate you for skipping the airline ticket.

What kind of headlights are those?

Did driving 20 miles on a disintegrated wheel bearing grind up the wheel spindle?
How fast were you going when you hit the railroad track? I am amazed that the wheel bearing shattered.

I had to look up "TFI" to find what it was. "It is a small grey plastic module that houses solid-state electronic parts, all of which are suspended in a thick translucent, electrolytic (meaning it is conductive) film. The Thick Film Integrated Ignition (TFI-IV) name is proprietary to Ford. Others may know it referred to as a "spark module."

In other words, your electronic ignition quit. That "sparks" my interest.
After I bought my Falcon in 2012 I was surprised to find that the previous owner had replaced the ignition points with a PerTronix D-57-22 electronic ignition unit. I have left in place it has worked perfectly for the past 17,000 miles. But ....... my previous two Falcons and a Maverick had points and I never had problems with those either. The points seem like they might actually be more more reliable than electronic ignition because while points will slowly degrade, they will not just quit like an electronic module can.

Your TFI burnout issue heightens my concern that the PerTronix could quit, and makes me wonder if I should restore The Wonder Falcon back to points. I could either buy another Pertronix unit ($75) and keep in the trunk as a spare, or replace it with a set of points at the next 25,000 mile tuneup (in 8,000 miles).

In the light of your recent electronic ignition failure, would you recommend my staying with the Pertronix unit, or going back to points?

doghows
September 4th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Hey Dennis, those headlights are a standard 7" round halogen H-4 light. It has the turn signal built in so I could turn my stock turn signals into marker lights that stay on all the time the switch tells them to.
As far as point vs pertronix I personally will never run point again. Like you stated they wear out and affect your engines performance and drivability. That being said I will never run a carberator again either! Both are a pain to keep running at peak performance and with a carb if you go from sea level to say 10000 foot elevation it runs like crap.
So back on topic, keep the pertronix and keep a spare set of points in your tool box, they are an easy swap if you get stuck. With my TFI failure it's the first one I've had go bad in 20 years of playing with these EFI motors. They are very reliable and I think it was kind of a fluke it went out but it did go out.
The spindle was fine, it has a little discoloration to it but nothing else. The bearing was still mostly in tact when I pulled it apart but fell into pieces when it came out. I hit the track at 55 mph and it jarred my teeth when I did. Inspected the whole front end and it look ok, didn't see anything bent or broken. I was just hearing a sqeak in front which I knew what it was when I heard it so I slowed to about 20 mph and nursed it to my brothers cabin.
I drove all the way home with new bearings in (900 miles) and no issues. So I'm very happy with the deliverys performance.

ew1usnr
September 5th, 2016, 04:56 AM
As far as point vs pertronix I personally will never run point again. Keep the pertronix and keep a spare set of points in your tool box.

OK. I have been mentally flip-flopping back and forth on this for the past four years. The car has been running perfectly with the Pertronix, so I will just leave it alone and not fix what isn't broke.

As far as flying The Wonder Falcon at 10,000 feet ..... I can only dream of that at the moment. It is a long way from sea-level Tampa to anywhere with elevation, but Pikes Peak is calling to me.

Luva65wagon
September 6th, 2016, 10:52 AM
There is an article this month in the Falcon newsletter about this subject. I've been long advocate of the Pertronix, almost from the time they came on the market. Yes I've had failures, but I feel - contrary to the article I just read - the pros outweigh the cons.

I've told the story elsewhere on this forum of my plight trying to make it back up from southern Oregon to Seattle when (unbeknownst to me at the time) I was having a fuel starvation issue due to a cruddy carburetor. The failure occurred as I was heading south after a regional meet in Northern Oregon and I nursed it (with the support of other Falcon club members heading home to California) to Grants Pass where I was heading. I would not have made it back home to Seattle running points. I had swapped back to points while in Grants Pass thinking maybe it was a Pertronix failure, but had not gone 20 miles back towards home before I pulled into the first rest area I came to and put back in the Pertronix. It still ran bad, but it ran so much better.

You'll get the "not needed" and the "it's gooder" reports everywhere you go, but I'm of the mind that most of the parts we are getting to maintain the old points/condenser system are not anywhere near the quality of what you used to get. I've had points and condenser failures too and it's nearing a $30 bill to get good quality parts there too.

It's a tough debate. A lot comes down to cost to miles driven. Our cars don't usually see a lot of miles, so if you think of a set of points lasting 10 years when a car sees 500 miles a year, if you're luck, a $80 Pertronix kit may seem a waste of money if you are of the mind that it offers nothing more than zero maintenance. I think it probably offers that and some level of performance improvement and with that some potential fuel savings. But I have no empirical evidence - only anecdotal. The good news is that of the 3 units in the past 20 years (or whatever it is) I've had, all of them were sent back to Pertronix and replaced at no charge. No complaint there.

I will say one other thing. On the black F100 I sold to Steve, I could not get the Pertronix to run, at all. It perplexed even the tech's at Pertronix. I ended up converting it to Duraspark II setup with a GM ignitor. Which is also what I run on the Ranchero, the wagon, and my 66 F100. Pretty easy swap. I debated using Pertronix on these, but because I needed new distributors I opted for DSII units, which happened to be cheaper and new, rather than more costly and rebuilt. The GM ignitor is only about $15 and is available everywhere.

doghows
September 30th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Well the delivery has had her rest. The are still about four more events I'm going to try and go to before the real nasty wet winter sets in.
She is all clean, bugs removed, and any other small repairs made. I guess my seven year restoration was worth it. I just went back through this post and amazed myself at what I have accomplished. Never would have thought I could do as much as I did.
The club was a great help to me for advise and tech days and moral support. So now things have slowed up a bit at work I aim to get out and help some other falconers.
Let all get our birds going this winter and see if we can make 2017 a great club year.
Thank you everyone for all you help and support!!

dhbfaster
October 1st, 2016, 07:29 AM
Seven years...[BOW] thanks Steve. I feel much better now.[thumb]

doghows
October 1st, 2016, 11:30 AM
Hang in there Don, your is looking amazing just keep at it you'll get there.
I need to come out and see yours and maybe help if your not done.
Looking forward to cruising with ya!!

dhbfaster
October 1st, 2016, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately I'm on an assignment out of town for quite a while Steve...so progress is slow with just trips home now and then...but progress is progress.

doghows
October 8th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Shell get there buddy, just stay persistent and keep looking at that light at the end of the tunnel. It does get brighter. :rocker:

doghows
November 14th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Well the winter project list is written down so I'll see how many I can get done before car show season again.
1. Swap out rear axle to the 8.8
2. Pull the upper intake, air tube, and valve covers for polishing.
3. ReInstall said parts
4. Completely redo wiring in engine bay. (This might be stretching it)
5. Swap out fuel pump to a better less noisy unit
6. Replace front rack and pinion with one that doesn't suck.
7. Sell kidney to pay for everything.

We'll see how it goes![thumb]

Luva65wagon
November 14th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Well that's one weekend's worth of work, what will you do the next week?

doghows
November 14th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Ya no doubt, I'm like you I have a list about a mile long and only a day or two each week to play.
Work has got nuts for me, picked up a contract with a fence company and have 3000 feet of fence posts to do, Fort Warden is remodeling and I've got a five year deal with them for work, and the coast guard has started refurbishing the ships again and, and ,and.
You know that old saying I have time but no money, or no money and lots of time. I guess you can just do what you can! :BEER:

Luva65wagon
November 15th, 2016, 10:00 AM
You know that old saying I have time but no money, or no money and lots of time.

:confused:

Drinking too much :BEER: can cause this.

doghows
November 27th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Ok started the 8.8 swap today. Got the old eight out and put them side by side. Here they are for comparison.
The eight was 56&1/2" WMS to WMS
The 8.8 is exactly 57" WMS to WMS
The cool part is I was running a 1/4" spacer to make the eight exactly 57". I am very happy so far. I need to change the driveshaft end to fit the 8.8 and I needed larger spring plates and ubolts. I had those laying around. The brake line is the same spot and fitting so I think this will be downhill from here.
I started with a Ford Explorer rear axle, then drilled the weld plugs out of the long side axle. Pressed out the tube and cut 3" off. Then press the tube back in and reweld the plugs. Now both sides use the same axle shaft so I ordered a short side replacement from rock auto. $84 cost on that.

doghows
November 27th, 2016, 03:21 PM
The axle didn't really cost me anything because I parted out an explorer the I needed the engine and trans for my bronco project. But the are out there for $200-300 bucks. Short side axle $85. Misc stuff $200 so all in all to get a 3:73 posi, disc brake, 31 spline axle not bad!!

doghows
January 21st, 2017, 11:05 PM
Sunday is the big day. The 8.8 is going in for the last time. She's powder coated, painted and assembled.
Last item will be the driveshaft, so I'll measure that up and button up project number 3,247,618 give or take a few! Looking forward to driving her again with her new "butt" lol. :3g:

doghows
January 22nd, 2017, 03:06 PM
Ok the 8.8" is finally on for the last time. Fits perfect and I used my same wheels and tires! Just need to drop off the driveshaft to get modified, bleed the brakes, and fill up the gear oil.
She'll be on the road again next week!!

doghows
January 22nd, 2017, 03:08 PM
Since my wonderful apple products only allow one pic at a time here's a couple more.

doghows
January 22nd, 2017, 03:09 PM
And one last angle. [yay]

SmithKid
January 22nd, 2017, 05:33 PM
Wow! Looking good on a great project, Steve.

Luva65wagon
January 22nd, 2017, 10:39 PM
Looking good Steve. I hope it works out well for you.

On another subject we all chatted at the meeting about doing a cruise this spring and floated the Irrigation Festival being the last stop. It was pretty close to the Swap Meet as I recall, so that was a possible hiccup. So - we'll post a thread about it and let everyone ring in if that will work for anyone or everyone and go from there.

doghows
January 23rd, 2017, 09:18 PM
Test drive this weekend, dropped of the driveshaft to be adjusted for the new rear! Bleed the brakes, and add gear lube. I hope the weather holds.

Luva65wagon
January 24th, 2017, 10:19 AM
I hope the weather holds.

With my driveways... I always hope the brakes hold.

:NERVOUS:

doghows
January 26th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Ok installed my driveshaft this morning before work. Now to bleed the brakes and fill her up with gear oil! I might just drive her to work tomorrow. :3g:
We'll see if I have the energy to do that tonight after work!

SmithKid
January 26th, 2017, 11:16 AM
I miss the signage on the side panels.

doghows
January 26th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Trying to come up with something not so cartoonish.

Luva65wagon
January 26th, 2017, 01:51 PM
How about this? We know how you love your pooch's.

doghows
January 28th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Well it looks like we should call today succesful Saturday.
Took the delivery out on its test drive with the new 8.8" rear axle today. Although a short test drive very nice. She's snaps off the line, and leaves two black lines instead of one. Then I hit the brakes and about put myself into the windshield. The new rear axle has 3:73 gears, posi, 31 spline axles, and disc brakes.
Tomorrow I'll take her on a longer drive to finish seating the brakes, and make sure nothing leaks and everything keep doing what it did today.
Now what to tear apart next?? Hmmmm. [thumb]

Sorry wrong picture, that's my new security team. My Rotty turned 4 today so we had some of her friends over.

doghows
January 30th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Drove the delivery around this weekend and to work today. Looks like I got exactly what I was looking for.
At 55mph my rpm' are at 17-1800, and at 75mph I'm running right about 2200. She is smooth and much more responsive at those ranges not to mention the added benefit of launching from a dead stop I haven't done this yet :3g: but soon. Want to make sure there aren't any gremlins hiding and I blow something up being stupid.
I would sum this up by saying the 8.8" swap was pretty easy and definitely worth the time and effort. For me I was into this swap for about $3-400. Now add $200 for the axle itself so $5-600 total. Money well spent!!

doghows
January 31st, 2017, 02:16 PM
First baby burn out since the swap for the 8.8 rear axle.

Yup it works!

Luva65wagon
February 2nd, 2017, 10:25 AM
First baby burn out since the swap for the 8.8 rear axle.

Yup it works!

"Only need to replace my plate-glass windows now...."

:doh:

Two black marks is good.

Question for you. Are you using 5 on 4.5" wheels all the way around - so this 8.8" is that? Not planning to go there, but maybe the rear-disc setup on yours will work on an 8" small-tube. I know at some point the 5 on size changed to something metric or something, but early Ford stuff was 5 on 4.5".

doghows
February 2nd, 2017, 11:33 AM
Yes same wheels all around 5 on 4.5".
I think a lot of guys in the bronco world are using the discs off the 8.8" on the 9" rear axle, the only thing I can think of is the tube size. The 8.8 is like a 3.25" tube but it has the same four bolts holding the backing plate to the housing. We'll have to check it out next time we're in the same place!

On a side not I did move over to be in front of the roll up doors before said burn out. I thought the same thing. ? I don't want to replace my shop windows, I better move over!?

Luva65wagon
February 2nd, 2017, 01:33 PM
Thanks. There is a rear-disc brake setup on eBay for $449 (complete) and initial contact with the seller said it uses OEM parts, but didn't yet divulge what these OEM parts were. I resist using parts I need to get from some obscure on-line seller, or something that Wilwood can say "Oh, we discontinued that item...." leaving me stranded.

Smart man moving...

doghows
February 17th, 2017, 07:06 PM
After several road trips (on non rainy days) the delivery is doing awesome. Cruises smoother down the road than it ever has! RPM's are exactly where I wanted them and when I stomp the skinny pedal it's a whole new experiance when the back end starts to get squirrelly on burn outs.
No more embarrassment leaving a one tire fire! Now I need to save up for some new rear tires!??
If anyone is contemplating this swap I say go for it! Easy effective and now I've got a 3:73 posi, 31 spline axle, disc brake rear axle. [thumb]

doghows
February 20th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Ok winter project number two is under way. My spare valve cover got polished and installed. Now to polish up the air intake tube and upper intake.
This is gonna suck, I have about 20 hours into the valve covers!?!

Luva65wagon
February 20th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Doesn't powder coat come in polish?

doghows
February 20th, 2017, 09:46 PM
No I wish it did. They have some called "chrome" and "polished aluminum" but in my opinion they suck compared to the real deal. On round tube it looks good but still not chrome.
I know I can't afford chrome plating, so I'm just polishing all this aluminum myself.
On a secondary note, WIAI I'd like to stiffin up the suspension a bit. What's a good set of shocks to run? Bilstein or KYB? I might try for upgraded front sway bar and add a rear before show season. We'll see how $$ and time allow.

Luva65wagon
February 20th, 2017, 10:08 PM
KYB's a good choice... but it's hard to get much stiffening from shocks alone. Can't hurt though.

doghows
February 22nd, 2017, 07:54 PM
If anyone is looking I have my 8" rear axle for sale. I had a friend that thought it would work in his car. I knew it wouldn't but he wanted to check.
Anyway I have it back and it's for sale. Came out of a 63.5 sprint has new seals and gaskets, powder coated the housing while it was apart. Brakes are in excellant shape. I'll post it in parts for sale as well. Asking $500 but will accept offers. Located in Sequim Washington. Thanks Steve.

It's the black one in the front.

doghows
March 9th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Finally finished project number two. Polished up the valve covers, air intake tube and upper manifold. Got about 40 hours into the job. I keep telling myself I'm not going to do this much work polishing but this is the third time I've done a set of these parts??

doghows
March 9th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Test fit, you know I had to see how it would look!!
:rocker:

SmithKid
March 9th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Beautiful Steve! Are you protecting the finish? if so, what product?

doghows
March 9th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Got a couple ideas. One I think is called Blue Magic and the other one is called sharks hide. I've used the Sharks hide before and it works well. A buddy told me to try the blue magic. So I'll have something on there just not sure which one yet.

Luva65wagon
March 9th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Does look nice. A clear powder coat wouldn't seal it?

doghows
March 9th, 2017, 10:11 PM
It would seal it, but even a clear powder coat will dull it down a bit and it would look like the wheels on modern cars. They usually polish those then clear powder them. Besides it will give me something to polish at the shows lol! :D

doghows
March 12th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Ok worked on my WIAI list some more this weekend.
Polishing done, car reassembled and running perfect.

doghows
March 12th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Another item on the list was some traction bars. With the 3:73 gears and the posi, I was getting some axle wrap that needed attention. So I went with a simple bar type traction aid. Works perfect till I can afford the four bar and coil overs.

doghows
July 25th, 2021, 08:02 PM
Just curious if anyone has seen this car lately? Wishing I hadn't sold it now but at the time the business needed the funds.

Luva65wagon
July 25th, 2021, 10:41 PM
Post something on the nearly dozen Facebook Falcon groups and see if anyone has. A few of us noted it for sale on eBay a couple years ago out of state - where I don't recall.

By the way, hope the business is doing well. The company I worked for some 37 years folded about 3 years ago. Sold all of my cars and truck - except the Ranchero, to make way for change.

:rain: