PDA

View Full Version : Reconstruction has begun.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

doghows
October 3rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
Here are some pics I stole from Don off the facebook page... Assembly party went well...

doghows
October 3rd, 2013, 08:43 AM
A few more:

SmithKid
October 3rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
WOW! Wish I coulda been there to help too! Great pics. Lotsa help. Beautiful car.

doghows
October 3rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
I think you were there in spirit Gene. Besides if I can talk anyone in to it I'll do it again on the 19th??
Still lots to do and I'm getting my bumpers at the Monroe swap meet on the 12th. :BEER:
Slowly but surely it's coming together and all I can do is :D every time I walk out to the shop!![thumb]

SmithKid
October 4th, 2013, 04:40 PM
It's looking like I could do the 19th. Anybody else? Car pooling?

doghows
October 5th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Well I finished the doors today. Glass in. Vent windows in seals done and door panels in place. Now I just need the new door handles and window cranks to finish it.
Tomorrow's project finish wiring the rear power window and then the upholstry can go back in. Still need to wire the gauges and steering column. Pics will be up tomorrow.

redfalken
October 5th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Sounds like you're making good progress!

Are you planning on showing it at the XXX Root Beer Jingle Bell Cruz on 12/3? We could all hang out in the back section if it gets too chilly!

doghows
October 5th, 2013, 11:57 PM
I'm shooting for one of those last few shows. If I can sort the rest of the wiring out I can make it. She runs great fingers crossed but well on its way.

doghows
October 7th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Doors are now done except for the new handles that the brown truck has not brought yet.. Rear power window is hooked up and functioning but not with the remote yet..
Saturday is the swap meet so I will get my bumpers then but did get the brackets mounted up..
Piece by piece shes coming together...[thumb]

MacDee
October 7th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Sounds like you're making good progress!

Are you planning on showing it at the XXX Root Beer Jingle Bell Cruz on 12/3? We could all hang out in the back section if it gets too chilly!

I noticed the XXX show calendar shows the Jingle Bell cruise on December 2... which is a MONDAY!! :WHATTHE:

I called to confirm, and was told it was a misprint. It will be on December 1, a Sunday.

redfalken
October 7th, 2013, 09:29 PM
:o Thanks for clarifying!

Luva65wagon
October 8th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Looking pretty awesome Steve. Those are some fine wing windows you got there too. :BEER:

BillP 98201
October 8th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Looks awesome Steve! :BEER:

doghows
October 12th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Bumpers have been acquired. Now to get home and install them.

doghows
October 14th, 2013, 08:49 AM
bumpers installed now what a difference a couple pieces make. It was too cold for pics this am, Ill try for some tonight.. Plus I wanted to test out my signature.?. [thumb]

Having trouble with the size of my signature picture, any help for the computer challenged??

Luva65wagon
October 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Steve,

Real signature changes would apply to every thread you have ever posted - so this 63 Sedan Delivery sig isn't clearly a real signature. I've done mine with two images as you see, but it is really only one picture. I saved out a image copy of the site and used the picker for colors to pick the forum color and placed it between the two pictures to make it look like two pictures.

Anyway, it's not hard. Do you have the pic you want to use? I'll post a little tutorial if I can't find one.

doghows
October 15th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Yes I was trying this one.

Luva65wagon
October 15th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Steve, Look here:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1846

Go to the end of the thread and see what I posted.

doghows
October 15th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks Roger. I think my pic I was trying was too big? This will work till I get her done and get a better one.

Luva65wagon
October 15th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Too small to me. Replace it with this one.

doghows
October 15th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Tada mucho bettero.

SmithKid
October 15th, 2013, 07:27 PM
VERY nice signature pic Steve!

doghows
October 15th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Thanks Gene, Roger May have helped a little bit.
OK maybe a lot. Thanks for the assist Roger.

BillP 98201
October 15th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Lookin good!

Luva65wagon
October 15th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Not a problem. Just not sure why it didn't populate all the older threads. Oh well.

Notice I put windshield and trim on it? ;)

doghows
October 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Go to love it... It does have wing windows and side glass now too... Just saying..:ROTFLMAO:

Luva65wagon
October 16th, 2013, 04:19 PM
One of these days I'm gonna toy with one-piece glass in these.

Yeah....

doghows
October 17th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Got home last night and installed the MOST important piece of the restoration thus far. Feels good to finally get this far[thumb]

Luva65wagon
October 17th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Very cool.

[thumb]

doghows
October 21st, 2013, 08:56 AM
Well here is a quick update from this weekend... Got the rear glass dialed in for the most part, steering column is in, and Brian finished up the wiring for the power rear window with remote.. Roger was our usual go to guy when we got stuck and Gene bless his heart tackled the rear bumper to body seal. What a chore that was, very time consuming...
Got the running lights all hooked up and have only about three more wires to run then about a week under the dash (lol) and she should be on the road... Thanks again for all you help guys I couldn't have gotten this far without it..:rocker:

Oh yes and my wife made a feast fit for kings. I don't understand why I got any?? Thanks Honey...

falcon cobra
October 21st, 2013, 09:56 AM
What!! a week under the dash? its not a 747 its a falcon. I don't think it took the factory that long:WHATTHE:....or the whole line would stop...

Luva65wagon
October 21st, 2013, 10:46 AM
What!! a week under the dash?

Or it could be a week consisting of about 1 hour per day - or whatever amount Laurie lets him work out there.

Roger was our usual go to guy when we got stuck...

Is that why I didn't get much done? I wondered why...

If we could have done more putting on rather than taking off and then putting on again, might have got a lot more done. Spent way too much time looking for a steering shaft nut - that's for sure.

On that note, I had two more at home and yours, which I chased all the threads this morning in our tool shop at work (5/8-18 tap) and so I'll shoot that off in the mail tonight to you Steve. Would be nice to chase the threads on the shaft too, but I can't take tools and ship them. Maybe you can track down a 5/8-18 die from a local shop/friend?

But it was good to get that back glass all adjusted and kind'a moving. If the fully charged battery doesn't do it - I have a NOS motor for that I might consider selling. After seeing all that goes into making that power window work - not sure I want to hassle with adding that.

Have not had the chance to round-up all the correct windshield wiper bits and build that for you. Hope I have it all so you can get that installed correctly as well.

doghows
October 21st, 2013, 11:40 AM
Roger got it right I'll have an hour a day max so a week is about right. But I was happy this am when I turned the lights on and had taillights and front drive lights :banana:
I also bought a pile of 1500 & 2000 grit paper. So guess what you talked me into. :bicker: but you guys are right I've gone this far and winter is here so I have a few months till it's show time.

Luva65wagon
October 21st, 2013, 01:58 PM
but you guys are right...

But of course...

:D

You'll be so much happier that you did it. Once you pinstripe, it would be much harder to do. Lots of water and pads, not fingers.

Do the sanding and then maybe find a local detail shop and pay them to polish it up. You can ruin a good paint job using power tools. Just buying the pads and material may be a wash just to have it done elsewhere. Barter for powder coating. [thumb]

doghows
October 22nd, 2013, 06:51 PM
Steering wheel in check. Nut worked great thanks Roger.

pbrown
October 22nd, 2013, 07:09 PM
Steering wheel in check. Nut worked great thanks Roger.

I thought I saw a Grant three bolt steering wheel adapter in some earlier photos. How did you get from that to the nine bolt wheel you have now?

It's looking really good BTW. I wish I had time to help.

doghows
October 22nd, 2013, 09:48 PM
I found an adapter online that went from the grant to a 9 bolt. I think it cost about 20 bucks. I can dig through my receipts if you need a name.

Luva65wagon
October 22nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Glad it threaded on. I'd worked a bit on the shaft threads Saturday in anticipation.

Oh, the tubing goes on the wires where they come out the base of the column. Shove it up the hole.

doghows
October 23rd, 2013, 07:18 AM
Shove it up the hole? I don't know if I should say thank you or be insulted?? Just kidding I figured it might be for that and yes thank you.
I'm going to try an finish the last two wires from the engine bay tonight then it's all under dash work.
I'll keep you posted

doghows
November 4th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Gauge cluster in and thanks to Roger it looks awesome. Time to finish the under dash wiring this weekend.
Put the rear upholstery in so not much left in the parts pile.
Almost there.

doghows
November 4th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Back of delivery.

Jeff W
November 4th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Are you going to mount your shoulder harness on the rollbar or is that to hang your meat?

I wish I had your energy.

pbrown
November 4th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Back of delivery.

Very nice.

Check into the insurance carriers to see if roll bars are allowed. Most of the agreed value insurance, like Hagerty, will not insure cars with roll bars or cages.

BPVan
November 5th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Set that bar up to do mobile powder coating. Compliment it with a small oven in the rear. You'll be the hit of all the car shows!

doghows
November 5th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Insurance guy said no problem and I have mine through Hagerty so fingers crossed they don't cancel me.
I have thought about doing something like that out of my trailer?? Now how to get all the equipment in there and the car? :confused:

doghows
November 6th, 2013, 11:27 AM
We'll if all goes well this should be the last weekend of wiring!:banana:
Need to make an appointment at the alignment shop, window tint shop, and ??
Wow I think that's it for now. Couple small bugs and I should be driving next week if the weather holds.
Many many thanks to all of you that have helped on this project, it's been a long time coming. Now to start looking for the next one??[AGREE]
:BEER:

Luva65wagon
November 6th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Steve... sorry to say it, but you are never done... You only think you are.

BadBird
November 6th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Amen to never being done. I just keep finding more and more and more to change and spend money on. Larry

doghows
November 9th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Got the wiring done and all my lights and turn signals work. Put most of the interior back in so just a few things to do. Trying to get it drivable so I can make my alignment appointment on Monday. Having steering issues? Do they make different size rams for the stock type power steering? IE 6 cyl vs 8 cyl? Seems mine doesn't travel far enough and I have a turning radius if a school bus.
Otherwise all is good.

Luva65wagon
November 9th, 2013, 10:10 PM
The strut rod ends are different. I had the 6 cyl version on after updating to the V8 front end and - school bus, yeah - that explains it. I took the brackets off the ends (no spindle stops) for now, but have a V8 set of strut rods needing blasting and powder coating to put on. So look to see if you spindle stops bolt on (6 cyl version) or are part of the strut rod (V8 version).

doghows
November 9th, 2013, 10:55 PM
They definitely bolt on. It looked like there was about 1/4" between the stops and the spindles. I actually pulled the bolts loose on the frame bracket that holds one end of the cylinder. Ill pop the stops off and see from there.
Also might have to raise the back up a bit. The axle snubber almost touches at ride hight? Oh the small things.

doghows
November 10th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Ok pulled the stops off and did get more turns to the left vs going right. Turning to the left is still school bus. I'll have to poke around when I have a second set of eyes around.

Luva65wagon
November 10th, 2013, 10:54 PM
You should have the same travel of the box going left as right. Someone turning inside and someone watching outside to see where it hits.

You may have the tie-rod ends tight on one side and over-extended on the other to where you have 3 turns (from where center is supposed to be) and only one in the other. You should have approx. the same length of inner tie-rod to outer tie-rod on the left side as well as the right.

You can't (not supposed to be able to) have the pitman and sector shaft out of of center. It's supposed to only go on one way.

Should be simple to figure out by looking. :)

doghows
November 11th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Alignment: done. Transmission shop pressure check: done. Window tint: delayed due to tinters wife giving birth no check.
She runs and goes down the road great. I am going to raise the back up one inch, she seems to have settled a bit more.
Steering is another issue in itself. Alignment guy and I both looked while it was up in the rack and still couldn't see any problem. Need to replace driver inner tie rod but thinking if going rack and pinion instead?
Oh well I have 10 miles on the speedo now and very happy to this point. :rocker::3g:

falcon cobra
November 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Steve I put a steering box in mine and I love it. power in the box not slave on the rods. I will post the numbers tomorrow..jh

doghows
November 11th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Cool I'm open to all options I just know I don't want what I got. Budget ran out so I was trying to deal with it but I hate it and that's what credit cards are for.

falcon cobra
November 12th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Steve I got my box at summit and the # is BRG-800110 you can check it out at www.borgeson.com (http://www.borgeson.com) they make U joints for steering and have for years...jh

doghows
November 12th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks I am going to look into that and my other option is the rack from Unisteer.. Now which one to abuse my credit card with??

Oh question, what if any modifications did you have to do to install? My friend has a P/S box vs rack and loves it. Thanks John..

Patrick what made you choose rack over a P/S box?? I know I can't afford the RRS but I am interested in what your thought were. Thanks Steve..

falcon cobra
November 12th, 2013, 03:17 PM
The only thing I had to do was hammer on the back of the shock tower a little cause the box is a bit longer. and you need a after market column and the u-joint is behind the firewall. you just make a boot for it...jh

doghows
November 22nd, 2013, 03:46 PM
Pinstripng done. A few more details and it's part time.

SmithKid
November 22nd, 2013, 07:41 PM
Awesome, Steve! Gotta change your signature pic now.

Luva65wagon
November 22nd, 2013, 10:30 PM
Very nice Steve. I assume you still need wipers? :rain:

doghows
November 22nd, 2013, 10:32 PM
Yup that and I ordered a rack and pinion for her and about ten thousand small things. If I get the rack here and in I'm coming to xxx.

doghows
November 22nd, 2013, 10:34 PM
Another teaser.

redfalken
November 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Looking great Steve! Hope the steering swap goes smooth so you can cruze to XXX. I'd love to see the progress in person.

BadBird
November 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Beautiful work. Can't wait to see this car in action. Larry

dhbfaster
November 23rd, 2013, 05:14 PM
Wow, can't wait to see the rest of it Steve.

doghows
November 24th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Took the delivery on its maiden voyage today:

Goods: ran well, no leaks, no rubbing, lots of thumbs up and :rocker:.

Bads: got a surging issue at 60 mph+, no wipers! and cold no heater yet. Steering still not right but rack is on its way.

All in all very happy with first trip. Went about 40 miles round trip. :3g:
Cars shows here I come!!!:banana:

doghows
November 27th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Sorry was board and wanted to show off the car again.

BPVan
November 27th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Does the boss know you're slacking off at work?

dhbfaster
November 27th, 2013, 01:31 PM
I love it! It's really coming together. I wish I was my own boss like you Steve...thanks for helping ME slack off at work.

doghows
November 27th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Laurie went home to smoke the turkey, it's all me now!!!:rocker:

Part at the powder shop.

BPVan
November 27th, 2013, 03:42 PM
In case your looking for a van to accessorize your delivery:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4214477231.html

Luva65wagon
November 27th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Sorry was board and wanted to show off the car again.

But I saw that picture already.... We want more... because we want more.

Luva65wagon
November 27th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Oh, I meant to ask... did you cut and buff before you did all that?

doghows
December 1st, 2013, 02:49 PM
Nope skipped that step and when you see it in person again I'll explain why.
I did get the heater all hooked and working today so I'm down to wipers and then the tunes can go in. Hopefully the rack will show this week.

falcon cobra
December 1st, 2013, 04:09 PM
I think you should have put POWDER COATING on your car also...jh

doghows
December 1st, 2013, 05:54 PM
Was going to but some legal stuff stopped it. But the logo and misspelled name everyone knows who it is.

doghows
December 2nd, 2013, 03:59 PM
Show sign done.

Luva65wagon
December 2nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
My neck hurt looking at that image - so I fixed it for you.

:D

Nice plug for the club too! We appreciate that.

doghows
December 2nd, 2013, 04:52 PM
I tried but failed thanks Roger... And no thanks to the club, it wouldn't be this far without all your guys help!!![thumb][thumb][thumb]

falcon cobra
December 9th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Steve, how is the steering coming along...jh

doghows
December 9th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Back ordered. Waiting 3 weeks now I'm getting upset.
Oh well got all winter??

dhbfaster
December 9th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Just doing some long term planning here...After you de-rusted inside the cowl area- how do you paint/protect everything in the area under the cowl and then still be able to weld it back together?

doghows
December 9th, 2013, 12:02 PM
I powder coated all the pieces with epoxy primer first. I taped off the areas where the spot welds went but shot them with weld through primer before welding it all back together.

falcon cobra
December 9th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Who did you order it from? don't they have one in stock or do they have to make one for each order...china comes to mind, just got some roller rockers [ made in china ] and will be sending them back...jh

doghows
December 9th, 2013, 02:19 PM
A hot shop had the best price on the unisteer one. I called them direct and they said they are building them. I asked why the eBay stores said 10 available 7 sold?? They had no answer I give up I requested a refund and will look at other options

doghows
December 11th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Good news I found a shop that had my kit in stock [yay]. Ordered it and should have it this time next week.

On a side note I have Gina's comet at the house and it looks like an engine swap is upcoming. So get ready for a tech day. Will post up when and of course it's over here again.

Luva65wagon
December 12th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I've moved the posts regarding the tech day and Gina's Comet to the Tech day thread. Keeping your thread clean. [thumb]

doghows
December 12th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks Boss.. I can always count on you to fix my upside down pictures and highjacks that show up..[thumb]

doghows
December 13th, 2013, 08:48 AM
So I stopped at my local parts house this am, and spoke with a guy who is a falcon nut.. He offered me &17000 for my delivery!?! I was very tempted but declined his offer. I told him to come talk to me when the summer is over. I at least need to get it to a few shows right??
I actually think it might be a few years before this one goes anywhere. Last rig I built and had this much into I kept for 20+ years, and I am in the process of getting it back now.. Just nothing like building them yourself...:3g:

Luva65wagon
December 13th, 2013, 07:56 PM
He offered me &17000 for my delivery!?! I was very tempted...

DO NOT DO IT! Doing so this quickly will activate this "payback is a b*tch" clause in the club bylaws that says you'll have to pay back all the time and labor donated by the club mumbers to the tune of $150 per hour times 3 if you sell the car too soon. Which would essentially give you about a buck, $2.98, for the car when all is said and done.

:)

doghows
December 17th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Look what I got today.
:BEER::banana::rocker:

dhbfaster
December 17th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Your life is endless receipt of new toys...:WHATTHE:

Luva65wagon
December 17th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Look what I got today

Looks like work to me. What, pray tell, is the bill for such a thing as that? Is that a power steering pump too?

doghows
December 17th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Yup complete kit. Steering shaft, pump, rack, and all the hardware. Just a touch over 1k. :NERVOUS:

Jeff W
December 17th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Shame on you... you couldn't wait for another 8 days before opening the box?

Now Christmas morning is going to be a big let down.;)

doghows
December 17th, 2013, 10:48 PM
It was rattling off the UPS truck I had to make sure it was all there. :rolleyes:

doghows
December 19th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Which would essentially give you about a buck, $2.98, for the car when all is said and done.

That would just about break me even, I think???

BillP 98201
December 19th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Don't sell! :WHATTHE: you will kick yourself........ It's a sedan delivery! Besides 17000 isn't enough [BOW]

doghows
December 19th, 2013, 08:48 AM
No worries.. I had a chance recently to get my old 72 Bronco back that I had 17 years into. But alas the previous owners beat it to hell so I passed.. I think this one will be here for a while, I won't make that same mistake again.. Besides I'm only into this one 5 years so far.:D

Luva65wagon
December 19th, 2013, 04:22 PM
So my truck is back up for sale then, huh...

doghows
December 23rd, 2013, 10:52 PM
For now but I'm still shopping!

Speaking of shopping I managed to get my PS pump changed over. What a pain, I had to pull the radiator to get the bolts out. Then the brackets didn't work so I had to cut up and modify my existing march bracket. Thanks god for my friend Mitch who is a welding god. Mounted it up and viola.. Had to order a serpentine pulley because it came with a v belt one. Hopefully that will show so I can put the radiator and stuff back on. I hope the rest goes better and smoother than that..

doghows
December 28th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Well we got most of the rack in. Just need to get a longer pressure hose, and a shorter serpentine belt. Obviously my application is not a stock falcon so this is why I had to get a couple of different parts, otherwise the Unisteer kit went in very well and I thought it was designed very well and I'm very happy with the install. I'll get the parts and drive it around and let y'all know how it performs..

doghows
December 28th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Pump with belt alignment.

doghows
December 28th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Steering shaft.

Still can only post one pic at a time with my iPad or iPhone.... So sorry for the additional posts.

BadBird
December 28th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Has it really been four years ago that you started working on the car?? It sure doesn't seem like that long ago. The car is looking fantastic and now the name of the thread needs to be changed to Construction is almost finished. Larry

doghows
December 28th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks Larry, wow I had to look back but yeah first post on this thread December 2009. I think I had a year before I started this thread but Wow. It was really cool to look back through this one. I must be nuts.
I look forward to the day I can park mine along every one else's cars. :3g:

doghows
December 30th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Ok new parts on system done, steers great. My alignment is off so I need to reset the toe. I'll get that done Wednesday and drive her around. :3g: I'll report back in if I don't crash. :shift:

Mission accomplished!!!! Test drive went well, steering worked excellent felt great, just what I was hoping for.. Found a couple small issues other than the steering on the test drive. My speedo won't go over 42 mph and at hard acceleration the car pulls right and when I let off it jumps back left?? My rear springs might be shot.. Hmmm I just won't accelerate hard for a while..

Luva65wagon
January 4th, 2014, 07:51 PM
at hard acceleration the car pulls right and when I let off it jumps back left??.

Maybe you are pulling a wheelie! :3g:

Contact Unisteer as well. I'm not sure what feeds the power steering, but it may be the steering box maybe?

Vikingblu
January 4th, 2014, 08:46 PM
hard acceleration the car pulls right and when I let off it jumps back left?? My rear springs might be shot.. Hmmm I just won't accelerate hard for a while..
Thats alot of HP. Really exciting!
POSI?
tire pressure?
4 way alignment? measure front to rear, hub center to hub center. Maybe the driver side dimension is a bit longer. ??

doghows
January 4th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Open diff, 32 psi in both tires. Had the alignment done but put the new rack and pinion in. Need to take it back in and get it checked but according to my tape measure I have about 1/4-1/2 toe in right now. I think spec is 0.125 so I am too much right now. I don't think the caster or camber would change with the rack?
I'm running the stock 50 year old leafs right now with 2" lowering blocks. I warned to set my ride height before I dropped the coin on new leafs.
For now I'll just take it easy and get the other gremlins worked out.
Got the kick panels with speaker pics in today along with the new door sill plates. Nests the retro sound head unit, and ash tray. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Now it's time to :shift::3g:

pbrown
January 5th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Steve,

How much travel to you have on your front suspension before you hit the bump stops?

doghows
January 5th, 2014, 10:09 AM
In the back I have only installed the pinion snubber. But between the axle tube and where the bump should be is about 6". On the front I actually cut the bump off by about 1" and that gives me about 4-5" up there.
I'm going out for a long drive (for this car so far) and see how everything works. I think till I get my toe in set on the machine I don't want to go too far.

doghows
January 5th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Just got back from a 50 mile test drive. All went well and gas gauge is still almost full that's COOL!!! :3g:

pbrown
January 5th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Great day for a drive. You need to get a new photo posted with the pin-striping for your sig pic.

Luva65wagon
January 6th, 2014, 01:17 PM
You need to get a new photo posted with the pin-striping for your sig pic.

I'll get right on that for you Steve....

:p

doghows
January 7th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Guess I should take a new picture then :D

doghows
January 17th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Drove the car to Port Angeles this am to get the final alignment done. Wow does she drive nice now. Let go of the wheel and straight as an arrow she goes.
The light is very bright at the end of these tunnels, it's good to finally see it for myself.[thumb]

BadBird
January 17th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Absolutely beautiful. Wow it has been fun watching this process with the level of updates you've given. Very nice job and thanks for sharing it with us. Larry

BadBird
January 17th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Carol and I are going to try and make it over tomorrow. I can't drive without her being with me due to medical issues so we have to come by ourselves and also don't know how long I will last but want to help if I can. I perused this thread trying to find directions to where you are. Can you give them to me again, and what time does the ferry run for us to catch in the morning. Thanks Larry

doghows
January 17th, 2014, 05:34 PM
I think Roger grabs the 7:50 am ferry in Edmonds. I live just off highway 101 just east of Sequim. I'll pm you the address. You might catch Roger on the ferry he's bringing Gene and Bill with him.

Thanks for your kind comments on the car. It came out just the way I had it in my head so I'm very happy. Got a few things to do, clean up etc... Upgrades to come and so forth but maybe it's time to call this thread done and just post some updates???
Anyway it will be good to put a face to your name. I don't think we've ever met in person yet?
See y'all tomorrow. :rocker:

doghows
January 19th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Ok Roger my computer skills (or lack thereof) have forbidden me from putting that last picture in my signature line. I'm sure it's a size thing again. Help please.

BadBird
January 19th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Carol and I are so sorry we couldn't make it. I want to be of some help but this Tri-geminal Neuralgia is kicking my rear. After 3 episodes Friday night we didn't get to bed until 4am. I can't even work on my car to get it running. Whining sucks, so sorry. Larry

doghows
January 19th, 2014, 11:33 PM
No worries Larry, your health and family always come first.. Take care of you then you can finish your car, I'd love to see both of ours and the whole club at some shows this year..[thumb]

Luva65wagon
January 20th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Ok Roger my computer skills (or lack thereof) have forbidden me from putting that last picture in my signature line. I'm sure it's a size thing again. Help please.

How about this one. I'll have to see it posted here and can adjust from there.

doghows
January 20th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Yup that'll do it thank you. :rocker:

Luva65wagon
January 22nd, 2014, 01:03 PM
No, no, no. That is no good. Here, try this one.

Luva65wagon
January 22nd, 2014, 01:07 PM
For those wanting to see a larger picture of Steve's car in the lavender fields of Sequim, here you go. The magic of Photoshop.

Luva65wagon
January 22nd, 2014, 01:12 PM
Here are two more scaled down just a little more. If the first one looks too big, go to SD2 and then to SD3 if that still seems to large on the page.

Luva65wagon
January 23rd, 2014, 03:45 PM
Steve, which did you use? That one seems very small.

ew1usnr
January 23rd, 2014, 04:26 PM
For those wanting to see a larger picture of Steve's car in the lavender fields of Sequim, here you go. The magic of Photoshop.

Wow! That is amazing. You took the car from the garage scene and spliced in the Heidi background.

The Falcon sedan delivery looks beautiful.

doghows
January 23rd, 2014, 04:57 PM
Tried all three???

doghows
February 21st, 2014, 01:29 PM
Some updated pics of the inside.

doghows
February 21st, 2014, 01:30 PM
Another one 4 you.

redfalken
February 21st, 2014, 10:31 PM
Those look really comfy and durable. Who did the sewing?

doghows
February 21st, 2014, 10:52 PM
I'd love to say I did but truth be told I farmed the interior out to my buddies over at Dahls upholstry. Super great guys and the love powder coating so a bit if horse trading was involved. They seats are very comfy and I love the look.

SmithKid
February 23rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
I'm one of the "fortunate few" that have ridden in it, and can attest to the "comfy-ness"! Entire interior is very attractive!

Gina K
February 23rd, 2014, 11:44 PM
It is a beautiful interior. I am going to have Dahls to some fine tuning on the Comet soon, have heard only good things about them.

doghows
March 15th, 2014, 02:59 PM
My two kids, small one for the wife and the Delivery for Daddy!!

Got a lot done today as well. Rain?? Not here, sunshine and 60 degrees. Got my emergency door switch put in, ran all the wires for the stereo system too. A few more small things and I'll have to save up my money for the disc brake swap. Oh it never ends, and I'm glad.

ew1usnr
March 15th, 2014, 06:00 PM
I don't know if there is a club sanction about discussing cars other than Falcons, but ... That's a really nice looking little Metropolitan! I bet that your wife gets a lot of comments. Is that a 1957 Nash? I used to see them sometimes while growing up and always thought that they were funny little cars. It is odd how the front fenders cover the front tires.

doghows
March 15th, 2014, 06:04 PM
It's a 61 and so far every show it have taken it to it won a trophy. Now I have my own car so we'll see if she drives it herself.

I think as long as there is a falcon in the picture and the conversation turns back to falcons were ok. :rocker:

doghows
March 25th, 2014, 10:18 PM
The more I drive the delivery the more I love it. I guess the 5 years to do it are finally paying off. Estimate of fuel mileage is around 20 mpg. Haven't dialed it in yet due to speedo only going up to 42 mph. Found a third member with 3:73 gears and a posi that a customer of mine had built and he didn't like it in his hot rod so I'm picking it up for $300. That should get me scooting. I have a stock 3:00 open in it now.
That's it for now, hope to see all you at the shows this year!!:3g:

Luva65wagon
March 26th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Haven't dialed it in yet due to speedo only going up to 42 mph

That is still very weird. You should pull it and send it back to the guy who fixed it for you - I'm sure he can fix it.

doghows
March 26th, 2014, 12:05 PM
It's low on my list right now but I plan on chewing the guy a new one if I ever see him again. :ROTFLMAO:;) well get it handled one of these days maybe a tech day over your guys way and I'll drive it over. Not to hard to pull the dash out. :D

doghows
March 29th, 2014, 03:21 PM
So I just spent another 4 hours hammering and filing and polishing my drip rail moldings. :doh::doh:

It looked fantastic!! Note the key word looked.... Apparently when you hammer file and polish you really need to be careful because the metal becomes thinner every time you touch it with something. Thus when I put the trim back on the car you need to thump it carefully to seat it onto the rail itself. I used the palm of my hand to do this and let's just say I ruined every piece, most of it unknowingly until I rubbed it down with my final polishing cloth.
Let's just say a hammer almost found its way onto the delivery but common sense kicked in just in time and the hammer went out side instead.

So, long story short I need everyone to keep their eyes open for new drip rail trim. I think any wagon or delivery will work and it sucks to take off without ruining it. Now there is a stiff drink in my hand so some forced relaxation is in my immediate future!! I hope all your weekends are going better. :(:BEER:

ew1usnr
March 29th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I ruined every piece, most of it unknowingly until I rubbed it down with my final polishing cloth.

Is it something that is plainly obvious from ten feet away, or is it only noticeable by touch while sliding a cloth along it?

Could you post a picture?

doghows
March 30th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Here it is. :bicker:

doghows
March 30th, 2014, 04:14 PM
One more. Lesson learned.

Luva65wagon
March 30th, 2014, 10:11 PM
One suggestion would be to paint the rain gutter a silver color close to stainless and then take a couple cuts out of the stainless you have (2' long?) to cover the gaps on the sides... until you find replacements for these. I think I still have the rear piece from the wagon Gene and I saw in South Hill a few months ago, but the sides didn't come off good.

I know, on any I've removed, they didn't put a lot of paint on the gutters and you may have more on there than will let you get the stainless on without more effort than it originally took to do so.

Luva65wagon
March 30th, 2014, 10:17 PM
If it's still on too you might consider also a brushed look to maybe cover the sins. Scotch-brite pad and a straight hand.

Luva65wagon
March 30th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Steve- you might consider this just in case for the speedo. I didn't have any others like yours, but this is the same. Unique to your style of dash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FoMoCo-1962-Mercury-Comet-Speedometer-NOS-/201061430874?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item2ed031f65a&vxp=mtr

doghows
March 30th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Cool thanks for the tips Roger. I was ready to sell the car yesterday, man was I pissed. Now that I have chilled for a day it's time to move forward.
That piece in the pictures is the back piece. I did some minor repair on the long sides and left them alone. All of it is installed on the car and it looks good on the car. Visually anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled and if anyone has a tip on some trim let me know. It is what it is for now.
Bids in on the speedo we'll see in a few days. :)

doghows
April 3rd, 2014, 01:32 PM
Well didn't win the speedo. It went for $103?? I can buy whole gauge clusters for half that. Oh well 42 mph it is for a while. ;)

Luva65wagon
April 3rd, 2014, 11:22 PM
I have lots of speedos, just that one is special so I'd have to pull the needle and swap it with another - if it's not something more simple. If you could get it over here I could turn it around in a day.

Just do it...

:rolleyes:

doghows
April 9th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Great news!!!! Called my friend down in Longview and he has the trim for my car. I met him at the mini regional two years ago and bought a fender and splash shield from him. Not only that he has a good friend that does the polishing and straightening of this stuff. So I will be making a trip to Longview in the next week or two to get my new trim installed. [yay]:D
Now if anyone needs anything Falcon this guy has 14 parts cars and a shop full of stuff. So get a hold of me and will pass on his info. If you work a deal i can pick it up and bring it back with me on my trip. I will be going right through Tacoma so we could meet there. I am guessing next Saturday if not sooner. That would be April 19th. [thumb][thumb]

Luva65wagon
April 9th, 2014, 09:51 PM
That is great news! Now you won't sell the car. :banana:

I wonder if this is the guy with the two Dagenham 4-speed cores. I might be interested in those if I can get them at core prices.

You should check to see if he has that style speedometer housing you have.

doghows
April 9th, 2014, 10:47 PM
I'll add that to my list. He's a super nice guy, you met him at the mini two years ago. He was driving his 63 sprint kinda a burgundy color. I bought a few parts from him and my wife asked me today if I tried to call him yet. And of course no i had not tried him yet. Dam I hate when she is always right.
I have to call him in the am I'll ask about the transmissions. I better take a small pile of cash with me as he said he has a few cars for sale as well. Hmmmm??

dhbfaster
April 11th, 2014, 09:26 PM
He is a neat guy. I picked up a bunch of stuff from him. He owe's me a bumber mount that I need to get powder coated too. I also still need to get that seat to you. If it's ok Steve, I'll call him this weekend and see if he's got the bumper mount yet and if so, he can just give it to you- and even better if I can get you my front seat frame and maybe a couple other things and catch you on your way back through Tacoma that would be great...let me know if you're for sure going next saturday.:3g:

doghows
April 12th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Can do Don. I'll let you know when I am going for sure. I was going to drive the delivery down, but weather looks crappy so I might trailer it down so they can help me put the trim on the right way.
2 weeks till I put the car on its first show!! :rocker:

doghows
April 13th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Today's project: stereo install... Let me know if you can hear me over in Seattle. Pictures to follow time to get to work. :sawzall:

doghows
April 13th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Success or as the say on wheeler dealers "job done". Turned out very nice and sounds fantastic. Now to get the subs in this week and look out!!!

doghows
April 13th, 2014, 03:39 PM
And the front.

redfalken
April 13th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Looks like that should thump! What did you use for the head unit?

doghows
April 13th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I used the Retro-auto sounds unit. Very easy to hook up and it got good reviews online. The unit from custom auto sounds got bad reviews. Put 6" rounds in the kick panels, 6x9's in the back. The amp is a 600 watt Rockford fosgate 5 channel unit. I still need to put in the two 10" subs.
It does sound really good has iPod adapter and blue tooth capabilities. It will make the drives over to your side of the pond a little more enjoyable. :3g:

doghows
April 20th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Ok changed the oil washed the car. Installed new back window installed new drip rail trim. Raised the rear up two inches and it's too much. So I'll find some one inch blocks and drop those in.
Road trip was a huge success. Checked nut bolts etc. all I found was a loose header bolt. Yeah ready to go again.

dhbfaster
April 21st, 2014, 08:26 PM
Hey Steve!
Question for you...when I looked inside your car at the assembly party, I noticed all the heater metal flaps etc look bran new. It looked so nice. Did you take them off and powdercoat them and then re-rivet them back on?
(btw, I think you missed a smudge on the windshield...):NERVOUS:

doghows
April 21st, 2014, 08:29 PM
No powder there. I did glassbead the whole box and the doors then just spray bombed it.

dhbfaster
April 21st, 2014, 08:52 PM
"Spray bombed it"?? :WHATTHE:
Sounds easy. That's probably because I don't know what you mean.

doghows
April 21st, 2014, 08:55 PM
Sorry, poof can, rattle can, spray bomb you can use any one of those.
I used Home Depot 777 semi flat black.

dhbfaster
April 21st, 2014, 09:03 PM
with no rivet removal...?
Cool.

doghows
April 21st, 2014, 09:05 PM
Yup no disassembly required.

Luva65wagon
April 21st, 2014, 09:52 PM
Sorry, poof can, rattle can, spray bomb you can use any one of those. I used Home Depot 777 semi flat black.

I am :confused:

Who are you and what did you do with Steve?

doghows
April 21st, 2014, 10:44 PM
Steve and his :sawzall::sawzall::sawzall: are on vacation.

helomech
April 22nd, 2014, 03:56 PM
Oooh! I loves me some 777 Semi Flat Black. :rocker:

I used Home Depot 777 semi flat black.

doghows
May 27th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Ok I MUST have this tach in my car!! It just fits. What y'all think?:WHATTHE:

Jeff W
May 27th, 2014, 07:13 PM
I think it looks good, but with your modern wheel and shift knob, a modern tach would blend just fine.

dhbfaster
May 27th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Love the tach, love the fuzzy dice...but both in the same car??

doghows
May 27th, 2014, 08:33 PM
The dingle balls and bouncy head dog are on back order. :ROTFLMAO:

dhbfaster
May 27th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I think a dawg house bobble head would do the trick.

doghows
May 27th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Never thought about it that way. Damn now I need that. :D

doghows
May 28th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Subs for the delivery. Now to get them in the car.

Luva65wagon
May 28th, 2014, 12:52 PM
OMG! Where are the boxes? That's where you mount them first. Then you put them into the car.

:WHATTHE:

doghows
May 28th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Boxes at the stereo guys house. He just brought these by for me to slobber over. Hope to get them in before the show. :D

doghows
June 3rd, 2014, 08:06 PM
Swapped out my mufflers yesterday, I put in a set of Flowmaster super 44's. I like it way much better. (I went to school with Roger) so if anyone want a set of Dynamax turbo mufflers with VERY low miles in them let me know.
I'll try to get a pic of the install when I can lay under the car. :rocker:

Nathan289
June 3rd, 2014, 09:17 PM
I have dyno max mufflers under my Fairlane and like the way they sound.

I haven't had much luck with flow masters.. they sound bad *** until you get to cruising speed and the droning starts. I've had three vehicles with flow masters that all had the drone...

Different rpms and different series..

But your delivery needs the bad *** sound to go with the look.

doghows
June 3rd, 2014, 09:29 PM
The super 44's sound great at all engine speed, as for the droning I have none. I did put Dynamat down on the entire floor, sides, and roof. I'm sure that helps. The Dynamax sounded good but I wanted a little more loudness but not that droning at highway speed, that why I went with the ones I did. If I would have done the 40's or even the delta flow 40's I'm sure they would have been very loud at highway speeds. The only quiter Flowmaster would have been the 50's series.
You'll have to check them out at the mini and see, they are definetly quiter than your standard flowmasters.
Do you need a set of Dynamax for any of your rides? I'll save em for ya. :BEER:

Nathan289
June 3rd, 2014, 09:48 PM
My 63.5 sprint actually needs a whole exhaust system.:WHATTHE:
There are no exhaust shops in deer park, wa..:doh:
No powder coaters here either.:rain:

I no longer care to go to Spokane for anything if I can help it.[AGREE]

Problem I have is I don't have a stock exhaust manifolds in my car so I can't easily order a kit.:doh:
I might be able to get a mustang kit to work though..:rocker:

The falcon wagon will need a muffler.. I haven't looked to see what else it will need exhaust wise.:WHATTHE:

Luva65wagon
June 4th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Nathan - just a note on the "Mustang Kit" mention. I ordered a Pypes stainless kit for a 65 Mustang for only about $350 from Summit. Everything from header collector back. Apart from shortening two pipes to accommodate the shorter need, and having to use steel pieces to bend to meet the collectors (muffler shop refused to bend the stainless parts - and at the time I was doing this late on a Saturday afternoon, there were few shops open) - it fit very nicely. It was way too loud for me, but I ordered a couple resonators from Summit at $25 a piece and now I like it. These are placed after the rear end tail pipe extension.

Nathan289
June 6th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Roger,
I wonder how much id have to shorten a stock mustang kit.

I found a kit that is 1 h pipe, 2 intermediate pipes, 2 turbo mufflers, 2 over axle pipes & and clamps and hangers $179 +$27 shipping.

The muffler shop wanted $350 for a similar set up. I can save $150 by doing it myself.
I'm sure I'll end up buying hangers or clamps and spending $50 of that savings.

But it might be worth the try.

Luva65wagon
June 6th, 2014, 11:16 PM
About a foot. For the most part they are close to the same.

doghows
June 15th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Ok back on topic here, subwoofers are installed!! Man does she thump did you guys hear me over there?. My ears hurt. I'll post a pic later, but just did two small boxes in the back. I need to figure out what I want permanently so I can build something cool like Larry's. [yay]

doghows
June 15th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Thump thump thump. Now to get creative.

doghows
June 22nd, 2014, 11:20 AM
Just got done installing the speedo I got from Patrick (thank you) and guess what..... Still only goes to 42 mph?? I guess it's time to check the gear in the transmission end of things? I did spin up the speedo on the bench and it pegged all the way up and came back down to zero. So either my cable is wired or the gear in the trans.. It has a blue gear now so I think I'll call my trany guy on Monday and see what options there are for an AOD. :mad:

doghows
June 22nd, 2014, 12:39 PM
Ok jacked the car up and disconnected the speedo cable. Hooked drill onto the speedo gear. Got 43 mph on the gauge. Removed the speed sensor, and ran drill to cable direct and still only 43 mph. Can a speedo cable muck up your readings?? With drill hooked directly to the back of the gauge it ran up to 100 mph? It seems really odd to me that I have a direct cable connection and it reads wrong?

doghows
June 22nd, 2014, 03:55 PM
Ok crisis resolved! Upon further investigation and having a friends eyes to help me out we found the issue.

Gauge is good, cable is good, speed sensor is good.

As you know we did a little customizing to this gauge setup. We added a high beam indicated light and used the two existing ones as a separate left and right turn indicators. As you know there are these little paper tubes that keep the light going to it designated spot in the glass. Well when we put in the high beam light the little paper tube was left too tall and would stop the speedo needle from traveling where it was suppose to. Five minutes and a pair of sisors later viola my speedo works. Now to find out how accurate it is. :doh:

Luva65wagon
June 22nd, 2014, 10:57 PM
OK... I'm a ID10T. Shoot.

:doh::doh: :bicker:

Didn't have that problem with mine.

I'll reimburse you for part if my lifetime powder coating. Maybe only until I'm 65. [thumb]

doghows
June 22nd, 2014, 11:00 PM
Let this be a lesson for everyone. Keep it simple stupid. Always look for the easiest solution first. I was ready to buy a new speedo cable, speed sensor etcetera all I needed was a trim. [thumb]

Luva65wagon
June 22nd, 2014, 11:25 PM
But the dual turn signals are cool... And I could'a used and LED for high-beam. And here I thought I was keeping it simple.

:(

doghows
June 22nd, 2014, 11:29 PM
It all good now. Let's see what else I can do now!

Luva65wagon
June 22nd, 2014, 11:30 PM
What keeps the cylinder in place now? Can't it just fall out now - not being wedged? I took more pictures than I posted, but this was a pretty obvious oversight on my part.

doghows
June 22nd, 2014, 11:33 PM
I trimmed it just enough to where it is !"pinned" between the speedo plate and the back of the housing. If you remember you actually notched the top to go around the speedo plate and the tube was round behind the plate. It probably doesn't show well in the picture, I should have taken an after shot.

Luva65wagon
June 22nd, 2014, 11:43 PM
My pics don't show that part of it. Memory of this is a blur. Just happy it's all gooder now.

doghows
July 16th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Ok time for some upgrades to the delivery.
Who has the best most complete kit to convert to power front disc brakes?? I don't want to spend $1000-1500 but I'm not scared to get close to that lower number. What have you guys used and what works best. I don't have time to chase all over gathering stuff up just want one big box with all of it in there.
Thanks guys :rocker:

Oh by the way I just picked up a 3:73 posi rear unit for the car. Now I need to stop it.

Nathan289
July 16th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Steve,
Check craigslist. There is a guy selling a Dearborn kit new in boxes for $550.

If I lived closer I'd be all over it.

I think its a $800 kit. Uses your spindles and adds rotors and calipers kinda like the scarebird kit.

Otherwise I recommend Mustang Steve's caliper brackets.. its not a kit buy it uses off the shelf parts and gets you a huge 13" rotor and 4 piston calipers..

doghows
July 16th, 2014, 12:55 PM
All over that can't get him to call me back. :bicker: trying for three days now.

SmithKid
July 16th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Steve, there's a Granada disc conversion on ebay right now for $285 buy it now. Not huge, but mine work well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/granada-disc-brakes-1967-73-mustang-maverick-torino-cougar-falcon-68-69-70-71-/121383860934?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c430abac6&vxp=mtr

Nathan289
July 16th, 2014, 01:13 PM
look into the Mustang Steve kits

That's the direction I plan on going.. when its time to redo the brakes.. again.

Luva65wagon
July 16th, 2014, 01:20 PM
That Dearborn kit is Kevin's - he was at the last meeting and I drove out and looked at this stuff and the Falcon he's working on. I was only interested in maybe the front suspension parts but he was wanting to sell it all as a kit. I don't see the suspension stuff here now, so maybe I got confused or he sold the other stuff. If he shows up at the meeting tonight, I'll make sure he gets the message.

I am a little concerned because they packaged it with a "drum/drum" style master cylinder, but that's an easy thing to remedy.

doghows
July 16th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Cool thanks guys. Let me know on that kit roger or give him my info. I would upgrade to a power setup anyway.

Luva65wagon
July 16th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Sent you a PM with his contact info.

Power brakes on a Falcon is not easy. Kits are sold, but I have no idea how they get them to fit between the firewall and the shock tower.

Way back before I bought my wagon, I bought a power brake setup for a Ranchero I was going to build. It is one of those parts I still have sitting on the shelf since about 1995. At the time I didn't have that determination like I do now about dual M/C's - it's a power brake - single master setup. By the time I realized this it was too late to return it. I was collecting lots of parts at the time... and I sold the Ranchero when I found the wagon and sold off all the stuff I had, except this. Though I have tried.

:o

doghows
July 20th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Spent some time getting the delivery ready for the Good. Guys show on the 26th. Got my speedo calibrated pretty closely now, tach will get installed Monday or Tuesday.
I ordered my disc brake kit but I don't think it will get here fast enough to install before the show. I'll post pics of that swap when I do it. I won't let the cat out of the bag but should be very cool when done. [thumb]

doghows
August 3rd, 2014, 11:50 PM
Disc brakes done. Check this one off the list. Very nice kit went right in no figment issues no wrong parts I'm a happy camper!:D

doghows
August 3rd, 2014, 11:51 PM
And one of the booster and new MC installed. I do however need two adapters for my existing brake lines to hook to the prop valve but other than that done![yay]

doghows
August 3rd, 2014, 11:53 PM
Ok one more. I wish I knew why I can only post one picture at a time with my iPad or iPhone??:banana:

Luva65wagon
August 4th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Very nice Steve! That's the first full-sized MC, with booster, I've seen in a Falcon. The booster must be ultra small. So what kit did you get exactly?

As for more than one pic using an iPad, what is different when you compare the experience with a PC? Is the photo selector limiting it? I've often meant to ask Dennis in Florida what he does to post text, then photo, then text. I see an "insert image" link, but it wants to link off to another address. Dennis, what do you do to get your pics in line with content?

doghows
August 4th, 2014, 10:04 AM
It seems all the same and I can actually download five images but when posting them it only does one??

By the way the kit is from ABS brakes.

Luva65wagon
August 4th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Interesting. We have an iPad at work for testing software, so maybe I'll grab it sometime and see what I see.

Thanks for the heads-up on the name. Looks really good from here. Stopping the Ranchero with manual drum brakes like you had is fun. Not. May have to see about saving up for this or asking for this setup for my birthday, or Christmas, or my next 5 Christmas's and birthday's. :banana:

BPVan
August 4th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Picture Test

The Ford Falcon for 61:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/1961_Ford_Falcon_advertisement.jpg

The Ford Falcon for 67:
http://www.oldirononline.com/brochures/Ford/1967/Falcon-Canada/images/1967%20Ford%20Falcon%20Cdn-01_jpg.jpg

BPVan
August 4th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Picture Test 2:

Van Ad:

A creative way to decorate your van:

The way to do it is to use the attachment window like you normally do. Close the window when you have finished uploading. Then click the paperclip again, at the bottom you can select "Insert All":

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4009&stc=1&d=1407203875

It will drop in the attachment code for the thumbnails:

ATTACH]4007[/ATTACH

doghows
August 4th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Ok let's try that again.

No go for me. Still only one at a time.

doghows
August 4th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Ok brake line are done just need to bleed it out.

doghows
August 4th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Engine bay almost done just need to finish the forward strut bars.

dhbfaster
August 5th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Looking really sweet Steve...and those are some sexxxxy brake line curls.;:)
I'm still trying to decide if I should start with the prebent or just bend it all myself...

doghows
August 10th, 2014, 02:47 PM
UPDATE: brake job complete, used the switch into the rubber hole method to get rid of the hydraulic switch. Brakes are bled and I can stop on a dime and give some change!![yay]
Finished up the strut bar kit that I made and I am very happy with that. So with all that being said all falcon projects are on hold for me until after the mini regional. Only four weeks until then so if you haven't got it done get it done!!
If all goes well work wise I plan to drive the delivery over for the August meeting. Hope to see a few of you there.

ew1usnr
August 10th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Finished up the strut bar kit that I made and I am very happy with that.

What was the strut bar kit?

Is that the Monte Carlo bar with the extra braces? At first I thought you meant the strut rods that go to the lower control arms.

doghows
August 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Yup those bars. I cut out the old shock tower braces to gain clearance for the fuel injected motor. I saw this same type bar setup on some mustangs found the company that makes it but they want $600 for it. So I made my own for about $150. :D

doghows
January 4th, 2015, 07:32 PM
So tell me what you think. My black powder coated grill OR an OEM stock style grill!!

doghows
January 4th, 2015, 07:34 PM
OR maybe this one??

SmithKid
January 4th, 2015, 07:54 PM
For SURE! The blingy one!

redfalken
January 4th, 2015, 09:01 PM
[AGREE] I prefer the stock OEM.

dhbfaster
January 4th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Yep, powder coated is nice, but voting for the stock.

Ferari
January 4th, 2015, 10:10 PM
My '65 has black powder coat bumpers and grill - I prefer the stock chrome look and will eventually be reverting back to chrome.

ew1usnr
January 5th, 2015, 02:23 AM
I vote for the original bright metal grill and trim.

Luva65wagon
January 5th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Shiny - if in really good condition.

doghows
January 5th, 2015, 07:40 AM
The shiny one is brand new fresh out of the box NOS grill and headlight buckets.
They were a gift to me from a good friend!:D

Luva65wagon
January 5th, 2015, 08:24 AM
No brain'er then. I'd say you have a very good friend.

SmithKid
January 5th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Hmmmm..... I think I'd Like to get to know your friend. ;)

BadBird
January 5th, 2015, 05:32 PM
This brings up some issues that I worked through on my Falcon. I originally was going to send my grill out to get it bright dip anodized. But, the cost of over $1100 with shipping was ridiculous.

I removed all the old anodizing with oven cleaner, fixed all the little dents and then sanded all the way to 3000 grit. Polished it on my buffing wheel, which is very hard on a 64 grill. It tries to catch and bend the aluminum.
Then I coated it with a material that Boeing invented to hold the polish. It looked okay, but not the way I wanted.
I finally took the grill to Tucson and had it chrome plated for $200 and since I couldn't get black paint to stick on the chrome I used vinyl decal material. It is holding up very well but the draw back on chrome is it won't take a dent. The chrome will chip off. Hasn't happened yet, but if it does, it will just go back to Tucson.
So my vote is for the NOS bling. Looks great and everyone needs friends like that.

doghows
January 5th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Well I'll let the cat out of the bag. It was a gift from one of our members here. Gina K. Was the good friend that hooked me up with the grill. She said the same thing that the delivery deserved the chrome. Needless to say I was tickled to death as I had been looking for a good grill for a few years now.
I think the car looks awesome and can't wait for the show season to start up again. I do have a few small things to do but at least now I'm shiny!![thumb]:D

Luva65wagon
January 6th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Steve -

Trying to help a new user (off forum) with a safe-n-sane build for his daughter. Can you post information about where the brake booster came from?

Also, still patiently awaiting a reply to the yesterday morning PM.

Thanks-

Luva65wagon
January 6th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Nevermind on the booster info. Re-read the thread and saw ABS Brake. But still need the other answer...

doghows
January 18th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Quick update for y'all. I finally worked through my drivability issue. The one that I thought was my car bouncing off the rev limiter at about 4300 rpm. It turns out there is a wire at the number three prom on the computer that requires start/crank voltage only. I was getting voltage in the run position as well. Apparently this wire is to retard the timing when cranking it to make for an easier start. A quick reroute of the power supply to this wire for correct voltage only at the crank /start cycle and BAM I can now turn 6250 rpm like the computer is set for. Not only that with the wire corrected my timing is also corrected and she is quick. Amazing what a few degrees of timing can do.
Now if I can just get my steering fixed?:D

Luva65wagon
January 20th, 2015, 10:22 AM
I meant to reply to this before and forgot to. Glad to hear it's running right now. Almost wanna go for a ride in it.

:NERVOUS:

The Ford DuraSpark II setup has this same crank-mode timing change setup, and clearly having that on all the time would be no good. Especially when a computer was controlling everything else.

I read somewhere - I wish I knew where - about power steering racks and how they needed a restriction in the pressure-side to keep the rack from being over-sensitive to movement. A quick Google turned up a lot of hits. Here's one site's post:

The over boosted feeling can happen when you adapt a system using a pump from say a steering box system. It has a different base line pressure; the base line pressure is a minimum pressure where steering response of the torsion bar / spool valve combination starts to assist. Passenger car steering systems range from approximately 30 – 200 psi base line pressure depending on if it is a steering box or rack & pinion pump / valve combination. If you have an over sensitive, twitchy feel here is what you can do to determine one possible solution.
• With the car running, brake set, tires clear of curbs or obstructions and the engine at its normal idle with the steering wheel centered, turn the wheel to the stop one way.
• You should notice some feel or resistance just as you begin to turn.
• As you continue to turn you should feel progressively increasing resistance until you hit the stop.
If this is not the case you may have too high of a baseline pressure. SpeedDirect offers a kit for GM pumps that will allow adjustment of the bypass pressure.

Another site:

What is Power Steering Pump Pressure & Flow?
The principle of power steering pressure and flow is that it must match the steering system you have. Any old power steering pump will not necessarily work with your steering system. A Rack & Pinion requires a lower pressure, lower flow pump, as opposed to power steering boxes, which require a higher pressure, higher flow pump. A typical problem is that one experiences over-steer, or super sensitive steering with a power rack & pinion. The rack and pinion is not bad, it is the pump, there is too much pressure and flow. Pressure reducing valves are not an effective way to fix the pump, these valves do not reduce the flow at all. A different pump is required, keeping in mind most pumps look exactly alike but there are many different internal configurations even with in the same model such as with the GM Type II pump.

EPS?

I posted something elsewhere about EPS (Electric Power Steering) which I'm seriously considering for the Ranchero. I have most of the bits having pulled it all for testing to see if I can fit it into the '69 Mustang. It would have been tight, but the Falcon (or an earlier Mustang) has more room for it.

doghows
January 20th, 2015, 10:44 AM
The rack and pinion kit is an all new kit from unisteer. The pump is suppose to be set at the proper flow for the rack. At least that is what i was told.
My issue is the wandering, it all started when I came over for the meeting last year and hit some bad roads that bent some components. Those have been replaced and I'm on the right track to having it fixed. I'm having trouble getting some coils. I want a heavier spring rate linear coil. Global west has what I want but they have been on back order since November. I'm tired of waiting so I think I'm going to order a set from NPD. They are for a 65 mustang but look like what I want. Once those are in then the UCA drop and finally the adjustable strut bars. Then off for a performance alignment. I got the spec from car daze.
If that works I'm a happy camper because right now she'll burn that one tire off through two gears.
Now if anyone has a line on a 3:73 posi for an 8" let me know. :rocker:

BadBird
January 20th, 2015, 11:33 PM
That was a very informative write up on the power steering issues. Thanks Roger, I believe that is exactly why my rack and pinion are so sensitive. Move the steering wheel a 1/4 inch and it changes lanes. Maybe not quite that bad, but it is challenging. Now I will start looking for some way to fix it.
It isn't a huge deal but last year I got on the car very hard going to play golf and had to use both lanes of the road to keep it straight. So, needless to say, I am concerned about drag racing at full speed.

doghows
January 21st, 2015, 01:32 PM
Ok final update on the engine performance. Took a break at lunch today and re-set my timing. At idle with the prom chip out I was running 22* OUCH. Now re-set to 10* BTDC. HOLY CRAP she is sweet.
So recap fixed computer wiring issue and she'll turn 6250 rpm.
Re-set timing to correct spec and she's a screamer. I'll have to do a 0-60 and maybe an 1/8 mile time.
It's amazing how much difference an engine can run with some simple timing changes. Thanks for all your help and tip with this.
I'll keep yall updated on the front suspension. I'll start that this weekend. :banana:

pbrown
January 21st, 2015, 04:23 PM
Here are the springs I run. Just trim to get the ride height you want. The GT springs are great.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/coil-spring-oe-style-pair-gt-1965-1966/p/CS8531/

As for alignment. These are the specs I'm using. Also has worked out great.
http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/tech/

I'm also using roller springs perches, roller UCA, and Global West strut rods.

doghows
January 21st, 2015, 04:45 PM
You read my mind Patrick those are the exact springs I just ordered. I've printed the alignment sheet but that was the specs I got from car daze.
That cool looks like im on the right track. Thanks for the confirmation it's good to know that they work. :D

doghows
January 25th, 2015, 04:03 PM
UCA drop done. Not to hard after the springs are out. Had to dimple the inner just a touch to clear the grease zert. Ready to reassemble as soon as the coils get here.
If anyone wants to do this modification I have the template and correct size drill bit. Open to any paid club members.
(Membership has its privileges)