PDA

View Full Version : Reconstruction has begun.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

doghows
July 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Worked on the delivery last night because the Van was frustrating me. Filled up the coolant last night and found I forgot to tighten up the sensors. OOOPs, good thing I was just using water at this point. Fixed that and reset the timing, and she runs a whole lot better.
Now off to the brakes?? Didn't I say that about 2 weeks ago? Dang time flies by...

doghows
July 26th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Got my doors back from my newest painter friend!!! They look awesome. Fenders are off to get their work done.
Brakes are almost finished just need to do the two lines from the M/C and bleed them. Then she drives out of the garage for the first time in 3 years!! I seem to afflicted with that car disease known as perma-grin.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry about the black and white, must have pushed the wrong button on the camera.

BadBird
July 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Awesome indeed. Keep on smiling.

doghows
July 26th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks to your inspiration It made me decide to keep on going and get the paint done now vs later. Heck it's only another year (it's been 3 so whats another winter).

Luva65wagon
July 28th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Are these just at a guide-coat stage or is that an effect of the grey-scale photo? Either way, they look very straight now. [thumb]

doghows
July 30th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Those are primer and kind of a spattering of the guide coat on them. We need to fit them on the car and do the final blocking on the car. Should get the fenders back this week sometime!!!

doghows
August 6th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Brakes are done she stops on her own now. Fixed my one leak on the control valve for the power steering. Now to finish the wiring on the shifter and off to the exhaust shop. I will get some good pics of the bottom when she is up in the air. It's almost :shift: time!!!

Luva65wagon
August 6th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Anticipation is thick in the air all the way over here. Or maybe that is jet fuel exhaust lingering in the air from the Blue Angels show.

doghows
August 13th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Been busting butt on the delivery (and the Van) took the delivery to my exhaust guy Sunday. Here's a few pics before the exhaust. Found a few thing to fix that were hard to see from the shop floor. (wish I had a lift). Should be ready for pickup later this week. I will get some more pics with the exhaust in place.
This is the first time she has been out of the shop in 3 years. Was nice to just drive her down the drive way into the trailer. Can't wait till it is quite enough to drive up and down the road, and I can finish tuning the motor.
By the way, does anyone have a spare e-brake arm laying around? It is the part that connects the front cable to the back cable? I can't find mine... Thanks and enjoy....[thumb]

Luva65wagon
August 15th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Looking really good Steve. I hope to be able to make a trip that way soon to see it. Been a while. Have no idea why.

doghows
August 15th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I'll let you know when it is time for some major reassembly. Still need to get the door poppers in, and finish the wiring. (headlights, dash, taillights.)
Hopefully will get the fenders back next week, then the hood and tailgate get done. Then assemble it and haul it over to the paint shop. Should be in primer and blocked by September, and hopefully in color late September early October!!! Then I have all winter for final assembly.:rocker:

doghows
August 20th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Got the delivery back from the muffler guy. I was bummed that he took it off the lift before I got pictures. He already started on another one so I tried one pic from the back but it is what it is...
Now for some more wiring,and BODY WORK!!!!!:doh::doh::doh: Oh well it will be worth it I hope.[thumb]

Luva65wagon
August 20th, 2012, 03:03 PM
How does it sound - that's as important as how it looks. Right?

doghows
August 21st, 2012, 08:14 AM
She sounds good. I went for mostly quiet but she has a little rumble when on the throttle. I think I can live with it for now!!

doghows
August 31st, 2012, 09:26 AM
Got the first part of my shock tower struts done. Now to measure for the Monte Carlo bar and front struts...

doghows
September 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Fenders done!! Doors done!!! Hood done!!! Tailgate done!!! Time to put her together and haul her off to the paint shop. Yeah!!!:banana::BEER:

doghows
September 27th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Ran the car by a friends shop and put it on the scope and code reader. Found 2 small issues and fixed them. She runs like a scalded chicken. I am a happy camper, now for the paint...

doghows
October 1st, 2012, 07:59 AM
Did some of the final assembly on the delivery this weekend. She almost looks like a car again. Getting exciting. I might finish this thing yet...

SmithKid
October 1st, 2012, 10:15 AM
Making plans for the "put-together-party" yet?

doghows
October 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM
Not yet, probably will be my Christmas present to have the paint done. We still have to finish the rest of the body work on the rear quarters and roof. then the blocking and priming, blocking and priming ect... Then color.

doghows
December 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Finally finished the major body work!!!:doh: Now to get it over to the paint shop and do the primer and blocking. She runs like a champ, did a solid 3 gear burn out up my road this weekend and nothing broke!:3g: Can't wait to see it in color. I think the assembly tech day might be in Feb. sometime. That will give me a chance to round up parts, clean the shop, and talk Laurie into catering the event.[yay][yay][yay][yay][yay][yay]

BPVan
December 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Nice Steve, it must feel good to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Luva65wagon
December 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
[yay][yay][yay][yay][yay][yay]

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

doghows
December 3rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
I would but I am limited to 8 smiley faces per message.:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana::banana::banana:

BillP 98201
December 5th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Awesome Steve! :) Id be willing to give a hand in Feb

doghows
December 17th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Car is ready for the final block and sanding.[yay][yay] Now to get it to the painters shop.[thumb]

SmithKid
December 17th, 2012, 01:26 PM
WOW! Great Steve! I bet you're gonna miss all that sanding/body work.

BPVan
December 17th, 2012, 01:38 PM
You mean no more :sawzall:????

Luva65wagon
December 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Now's a good time to do a before, middle, and after shot to remind us what it took to get it this far. Got to be feeling pretty good about now....

Luva65wagon
December 17th, 2012, 03:06 PM
That is, of course, unless you want to forget what it took to get it this far...

:bicker:

:D

doghows
December 17th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Lets try that, before during and after. Wow look through this thread I must be insane!!!!!:o

P.S. Note to self: Do NOT park your wifes truck back in the garage until the paint smell is gone!!!

Luva65wagon
December 20th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I do that with the Ranchero/Crazy thread every once in a while, and say, I was crazy. I also know the feeling of taking the "more done" photo's and posting those threads. Light at the end of the tunnel is a good thing.

doghows
January 2nd, 2013, 04:32 PM
Door poppers are in. They work great!!!

doghows
January 21st, 2013, 08:19 AM
Well I finally hauled the old girl to the paint shop!!![yay] Can't tell you what a good feeling that was. Still have a ways to go before the color goes on, but hopefully she will be back in my garage with a new coat of paint by the end of Feb. I will be going down there every Saturday until it gets color and I will snap a few pics as we go.
That should put the assembly party sometime in early March!!!! I'll get my butt in gear and hopefully have all my goodies by then.

SmithKid
January 21st, 2013, 09:10 AM
Congrats!!! Can't wait to see it!

doghows
January 21st, 2013, 10:55 AM
Me Too!!!! Every step has been exciting and I think the paint is going to be way cool....

Luva65wagon
January 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Well... if it doesn't look cool we can always spray it satin black afterwards.

[AGREE]

doghows
January 23rd, 2013, 03:22 PM
I still have the 777 HD black!!!:banana:

Luva65wagon
January 23rd, 2013, 03:28 PM
Good man. :p

SmithKid
January 23rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Black?!? Maybe it could moonlight as a Hearse!

Marion
February 15th, 2013, 11:08 PM
WOW, great read Now I know I cant do my Futura that well nor do i have the cash to do so, But as i sat here reading it does make me jealous. :bicker:

doghows
February 18th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks and welcome to the site.
This has been a 4 year project so far and believe me I didn't think I could do it either. I have never done anything like this before, but with a lot of help and encouragement form these guy's she is almost done. This is by far one of the best groups of guys to help with any troubles or issues. I live over in Sequim and several members have made numerous trips over to help out when I am in need. (Or maybe just for Lauries food?) Can speak highly enough about everyone. So don't be afraid to jump in and get it done the club will always be around to help. Just don't let me get to close with power tools..:sawzall:
Look forward to meeting you at one of the shows or a tech day.

falcon cobra
February 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Steve,, what color did you deside on ??

doghows
February 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Doing the blue lower and silver upper. The paddle sample came out great.

Marion
February 18th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Steve thank you for the welcome. Don't give up the :sawzall: yet i may need it. Im sure i wont go as far as you did but i now am starting my body work (2 four letter words that never end).

falcon cobra
February 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Nice choice of color, it's going to look great steve....jh:rocker:

doghows
March 5th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Worked down at the body shop all weekend. Got all the last fit and finish done. Then blew the car back apart again. (20th time) Sand all the door jams and the tailgate. I think she is ready for the last coat of primer, then wet sand, then off to sealer and finally paint!!!
Who would have thought how much work goes into a paint job... It better be worth it. Hopefully still finish her in time to get out to some events and shows this year.:rocker:

BillP 98201
March 5th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I hope so too!:BEER:

Luva65wagon
March 21st, 2013, 12:15 PM
We were talking about you at the meeting last night. Were your ears burning? What is happening in Steveland?

Also, sent you a PM, but have not heard back. Are you on vacation?

doghows
March 21st, 2013, 03:30 PM
Returned your PM. Steve land is in the same old situation of car at a paint shop and nothing being done on it.. Seems the only time any work gets done is if I go there and help or cattle prod the painter.. I think 3 or 4 days of solid work and it could be painted. I am going there Friday night and Saturday morning and put my foot down, its time to get it done. I have all the parts at home for final assembly and Laurie is ready to feed us now all I need is the car back..
I am pushing to be in color and back to my house by end of April or I'll bring it home and paint it 777.....

Luva65wagon
March 21st, 2013, 03:38 PM
Never got your PM. Can you resend?

Bummer about the painter. Hope you get your foot down in the right place.

doghows
March 21st, 2013, 04:59 PM
As long as the foot makes its point... This needs to come to an end its time to enjoy it...

SmithKid
March 21st, 2013, 09:51 PM
Hope you don't have as much trouble getting yours done as I did..... it took me a year to get the car back; and then there were problems with bubbling; and it went back for another month. It was a barely acceptable job in my opinion.

I have a friend that took three years to get his Duster :o back...... although it IS one of the best paint jobs I have ever seen!

doghows
March 22nd, 2013, 07:56 AM
I know that quality takes more time, but I had 80% of the work done when it went in and was originally told it would be in color by the end of December? Then bumped to Jan. then to Feb, now to march, and now the end of April.... At this rate it might be 2-3 years. I'm already into this project 3.5 years I'm starting to loose interest...:(

SmithKid
March 22nd, 2013, 08:14 AM
Yup. I was originally told.......... 3 - 4 WEEKS. From all the horror stories I've since heard, painters are notorious for this kind of thing. I hope you & he can come to an understanding. Don't lose interest.... lose patience.

doghows
March 22nd, 2013, 11:01 AM
I hear you I really want this step done. Most of you know how long and hard this job has been so my patience is running thin. But I just keep taking a deep breath and tell myself it will be worth it in the end...
So let us all cross our fingers and hope for an assembly party towards the end of April..:BEER:

doghows
March 25th, 2013, 04:09 PM
OK spent Friday night and Saturday out at the paint shop. Made some good progress. Think we are almost down to final primer coat, wet sand, and start jamming and into color... Fingers crossed the flow stays going this time!!!

Luva65wagon
March 27th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Glad to hear you are getting closer. Considering we were gonna have a party about this time last year, let's hope we have one this year!

And thanks for the valve cover. It arrived and looks very nice. Perfect. [thumb]

falcon cobra
April 10th, 2013, 07:50 AM
steve... how is the painting coming??....

doghows
April 10th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Same **#! different day. My painter had to move so we haven't worked on the car in a couple weeks however I believe it is ready for the last coat of primer and then the wet sand. Hopefully now that things are back to normal we can get back at it.
I will be missing out a bit due to a new addition to my family... It will be a few more weeks till I can take her around (last shots) but she will be tagging along with me everywhere...:D:D

SmithKid
April 10th, 2013, 11:14 AM
So what is she? I'm expecting too (Bijon). Around the middle of June.

doghows
April 10th, 2013, 02:40 PM
She is a Rottweiler. I had one before and just had the need to have another one again...

SmithKid
April 10th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Thot it might be. I'm gonna behave while I'm at your house.

doghows
April 11th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Anyone feel like having a painting party?? I am ready to drag the car home and just do it myself. Every one out here is either on crack or has no sense of work ethics!!!
Visited the car last night as a surprise and it has not been touched since the last time I was out there 2 weeks ago. This should be done by now and I am just frustrated beyond belief.
The car is so close it just needs final sanding and color... I am going to put it down with the painter and if he can't guarantee me color by the end of the month its coming home.
Hey Roger want to try some more 777????:doh:

pbrown
April 11th, 2013, 04:35 PM
How about painting it the actual color you want. I'll help. This is bad timing though. I'm be returning to work Monday after a 10 week break. Weekends are still good though.

doghows
April 12th, 2013, 08:05 AM
10 week break?? I want one of those, I'm lucky if I get a 10 minute break.. But I guess that is a good thing. I will keep you posted the painter was here yesterday wanting some more wheels coated and I told him I would do more for him when my car is done. Until then no.
The car is ready for last coat of primer, then wet sand, then jam it tape it and color so its not far off. I'll give him another week or so and if no progress is made again it will come home...
The owner of the body shop has traded some coating for the paint so I will have all that as well. I will keep you posted and thanks. Steve...[thumb]

falcon cobra
April 12th, 2013, 12:01 PM
steve, I painted my falcon myself about ten years ago [ outside noless ] and it's single stage delstar. and I just got two new guns so I think we could do it if it comes to that....jh

doghows
April 12th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I am leaning more towards doing it myself.. I have painted cars before and they came out good, but these ding dongs over here kept telling me what a great job they could do. I think I keep getting played and falling for it.
So far my paint job has cost me about 6K. Thanks god my cost on all that coating isn't that high..... Oh well no more Mr. nice guy... (except for the club)

doghows
April 16th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Well I guess a well placed foot is sometimes what it takes... Going back to the paint shop tonight and finish the car for final prime.
Go in Saturday and start the wet sanding. Hopefully she will be ready for color by the end of the month.. Nothing like being a year and two months behind schedule. I keep telling myself it will be all worth it in the end...:rolleyes:

BillP 98201
April 16th, 2013, 10:42 AM
It will when it's done! You will be smiling

doghows
April 17th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Got a lot done at the paint shop last night. I am sanding all the door jams, back of the hood and all those areas the painter hates. Should be shooting the final coat of primer this Saturday. Then the wet sand, paint the jams, and then the body... I will not jinx myself this time by predicting an assembly party so I will just say its getting close and it will be warm when we do it.:banana:

UPDATE: 4-19-13 Finished the last of the sanding last night. Putting final primer on the car Saturday or first part of the week. The we will jam it, reassemble it, and start putting down the color soon. FINALLY A BIG LIGHT AT THE TUNNELS END!!!!!

doghows
April 24th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Latest update: Wheels to the tire shop getting 225x45x17 for the rear and 215x45x17 for the front. Going to try and get the seat frame down to the upholstery shop this week as well.
Putting the final coat of primer on here in the next few days then a lot of wet sanding, then jam it , then color. That light is getting brighter every day. I better start planning that BBQ assembly party now. Looks like end of May and I hope I didn't just jinx myself again.
Ill get some more boring pics up soon, will be going back out tonight to work on her some more.:)

falcon cobra
April 24th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Not sure why you have to do all the sanding? don't the painters know how to sand or is that not in the job description....jh:BIRTHDAY:

doghows
April 24th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I here you, but unfortunately that was part of the deal I made with him. He is "guiding me" and I am trying to do the work myself. That way I can say I " Yeah I did that". He is basically making sure I get it straight and hopefully looking good. He had been helping me through the whole mess since the first shop screwed it up so bad. In return I am doing some powder coating for him.
I don't mind the work just getting impatient. But it should be worth it in the end.. if there is ever an end!!!:doh:

BPVan
April 24th, 2013, 12:41 PM
You have come this far and it is looking great. Keep up the hard work, practice patience, and have beer close by to help you through :BEER:

With all of the body work threads I have read it is making me dread doing mine but it needs to happen and I'll try to keep :doh: and :sawzall: to a minimum

Looking forward to the BBQ assembly party but don't be surprised if your car smells like Stubbs when we're done :ROTFLMAO:

Luva65wagon
April 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Satin Black didn't need much sanding at all. [thumb]

Keep in mind Steve we have a swap meet the 18/19 of May, so don't plan a party that weekend or you may be eating a lot of burgers all by yourself. :doh:

doghows
April 24th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks Guys!! I might spring for ribs and corn on the cob, and potato salad. I figure the better the food the more bodies I can get??
I will be lucky if it is the last weekend in May but we will see how it goes. Thank you every one for your thoughts and suggestions and I can't wait to get her out to some shows..[thumb][thumb]

doghows
April 25th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Here are some of the latest pics. A little boring but this is where we are.

doghows
April 29th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Put down the last coat of primer. Time to wet sand and get ready for color.

Luva65wagon
April 29th, 2013, 01:22 PM
You are wet sanding under where the sill plates go! That's dedication!

And I see what all the plastic bag manufacturers will be making now that we outlawed them...

Also, rotated your photo for you. It hurt to turn my head 90 degrees. :-)

doghows
April 29th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks Roger I tried but I'm a powder coater computers hurt my head..:BEER:

falcon cobra
May 14th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Steve, got paint yet? the ford picnic is only a few weeks away....:rocker:jh

doghows
May 14th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately no. Need to go out and light that fire again. I had a couple weeks off to take care of some family stuff and of course no work done on my car. I am going out tonight or tomorrow and take a few picks and see if I can get color by the end of this month. It is very close.

doghows
May 23rd, 2013, 09:05 AM
Spent the night out at the body shop and the paint is beginning to fly. The jamming process should begin today or tomorrow and hopefully still have it all in color in the next couple of weeks. This is all depending on if my wife doesn't divorce me for spending too much time with the "other" lady... She is very straight and nice now...
For those of you that saw her from the beginning I don't think you will believe it is the same car...[thumb]

Luva65wagon
May 23rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Go Steve go! Keep the fire under them. You've got shows to attend!

doghows
May 23rd, 2013, 02:45 PM
Roger that... (pun intended) I am going back out there Friday after work and that should get her ready to jam (if its not already done) then a couple of days of wet sand and roll her into the booth...

BillP 98201
May 27th, 2013, 10:52 PM
From sawzall to spray! You go Steve

doghows
May 31st, 2013, 08:33 AM
Back to the body shop tonight. I will take my camera this time. We should be prepping to paint all the jams, and finish the body so we can re-assemble, then wet sand and finally color. Getting very close but looks like another week or two behind. I will get some pics up on monday, and maybe some in color this time???:WHATTHE:

Jeff W
May 31st, 2013, 09:25 PM
Steve, did you remember to weld brackets in your B pillars for shoulder belts? I know you had mentioned that was the plan. We did mine after the paint but it was a nail biter.

SmithKid
June 1st, 2013, 12:05 PM
I hope to have that same "nail-biter" coming up at a future date, and I too, am concerned! Jeff, did you do anything to keep the "B" pillar as cool as possible? Like ice packs maybe?

Jeff W
June 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM
I held a wet (more than damp) thick towel on the outside. Roger just got in there quick and got it done. I think the speed of the weld and the wet rag helped. I didn't want to test my theory by doing the second side without the rag. It went well and I'm happy with the results.

Luva65wagon
June 1st, 2013, 01:48 PM
I hope to have that same "nail-biter" coming up at a future date, and I too, am concerned! Jeff, did you do anything to keep the "B" pillar as cool as possible? Like ice packs maybe?

Fortunately the way we'll do the Ranchero is simple spot welds. The wagon required far more welding to apply a plate to a surface as opposed to applying a plate behind a panel. Gene, your paint will be safe.

SmithKid
June 1st, 2013, 04:32 PM
I had the feeling you'd have it under control. Thanks Roger!

doghows
June 6th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Ok I think I am done with the paint shop. Nothing done on the car again so I am tire of babysitting! Who wants to help me finish the paint on my car? I think 99 percent of the body work is good, and now the paint guy is telling me my work sucks and the car is a turd and he doesn't want to guarantee anything.. Who the F asked him to guarantee it anyway. Trailer will probably come to work with me tomorrow and I will bring her home.
Does every one out here smoke crack and rip you off? Oh we'll lesson learned time to do it myself, but hopefully with some help.. As always food and drink will be supplied and if anyone just wants to get some visual knowledge you are welcome to... I'll put up some picsd when I get her home...:doh:

Luva65wagon
June 6th, 2013, 04:24 PM
That totally sucks. :confused:

#7777 is about all I'd trust myself to paint these days. I've never painted with a base-coat clear-coat spray, though it is likely more forgiving that single-stage paint.

Are you planning to build a make-shift spray booth in your garage? I'd be all concerned about that amount of flat panels, but might could be done.

doghows
June 6th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Painted my bronco in the shop twice came out good. I will take some extra precautions this time but no I did not build a booth. Just rinse the floor close the doors turn on a couple fans and let it fly.
Maybe Patrick and Larry can point me in the right direction.

pbrown
June 6th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Go with a solid two stage (base plus clear). I can help spec product and can help with the painting also. I have LVLP guns with 1.4 and 1.8 tips. Count me in to help with whatever.

Start converting one off your garage stalls to a paint booth.

How big is your air compressor? Bigger is better for paint. You'll want a 60gal or bigger.

redfalken
June 6th, 2013, 07:02 PM
[AGREE]

He's da man! Pat taught me all I know about painting and it's something you could handle and produce a nice job. If I'm available I can come out and help.

doghows
June 7th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks Guys, my home compressor might be a bit small. I might think about doing it at the powder shop, got plenty of good dry air there just need to be very careful because paint and powder don't mix!!
I am picking her up tonight and they are suppose to have my paint and it is a base clear system. I did an entire frame and attachments to make it a full roller. Sand blast and powder not to mention disassemble and reassembly in exchange for the paint.. So it better be good.
Ill try to update this tonight as I have also stepped up to a smart phone (most of you know why) so I can keep tabs on stuff..
Thanks again everyone this club is the best...:rocker:

BadBird
June 7th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I definitely am not a good painter but I can assist in whatever way you need. I have a full face shield respirator system that I used to paint with. It may be that sandblasting/painting has something to do with my health issues, so I would rather not do the actual painting unless absolutely necessary.

Anyway. I have the system and I can come over and help. I also have the paint guns for solid and clear. I hope you have Pat or someone there to give the expert advice on this because I had a heck of a time getting the clear to lay down without bubbles or something. The basecoat went on great, but clear, is another issue for me.

Carol and I will be out of town most of July and then gone to Reno for Hot August Nights the first of August. Larry

doghows
June 8th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Thank Larry I appreciate everyone's support. I will know more here in the next couple days. Ill see what still needs to be done a d get some pics up.

doghows
June 10th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Ok I think I have a plan somewhat.. I need to finish some minor body work, paint should be delivered to me this week.
If all goes well I will jam everything next weekend (or sooner) and hopefully be ready to put her back together for the final paint around the 22nd..
From what I evaluated this weekend the doors, hood, fenders, and tailgate are ready for paint. The roof is done as is the passenger quarter. I need to smooth the drivers quarter and then look for all the small things...
One questions for you painters is what should my final sanding be?? Wet or dry and what grit?? I was told 400 wet but not sure if that is fine enough?? Thanks and I will keep you posted on dates...:D

pbrown
June 10th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Wet or dry and what grit?? I was told 400 wet but not sure if that is fine enough?? Thanks and I will keep you posted on dates...:D

Take it to 600 wet.

doghows
June 11th, 2013, 07:27 AM
I think i get some pictures up. I have a few spots where the filler is showing. So do I reprime or is sealer ok to cover those small spots? I know prep is the key here so I want that good.

pbrown
June 11th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Apply surfacer anywhere you see exposed filler. Don't take shortcuts. Apply two heavy wet coats and sand to 400 grit.

doghows
June 11th, 2013, 09:10 AM
10-4 Don't want to "F" it up at this point.. I'll take my camera home tonight and get some decent pics up. The phone don't cut it..
Will get some serious work done this weekend.. Thanks Steve...

Luva65wagon
June 11th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Yeah, don't Falcon it up now...

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate doing bodywork?

:rolleyes:

falcon cobra
June 11th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I really don't like it either but do it because most bodymen want a small fortune to do it, some bozo pounded out the part of my fender where the spair tire fit, I had the fenders sandblasted and walah, not good, so here comes the bondo, at least it looks better but not perfect ..it's not a falcon but it's a ford...jh

doghows
June 12th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Here are some of the body and hood. The fenders and so forth are in the trailer and as good as the hood..

pbrown
June 12th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Things are looking pretty good. It's hard to tell from photos. I would need to see then up close.

Luva65wagon
June 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Would have to agree with Patrick. Bodywork is a thing of "light and feel" and a picture can't do that.

I think a heavy dose of primer and blocking on those side panels since you don't want anything but flat showing there. I can see (I think) some filler showing. And this will show in the paint. Fenders and doors on these cars (anywhere there is a curve) can hide some flaws, but big flat panels - they got to be big flat panels. If you sand down to any other lay of anything, prime more.

But it does look very nice.

doghows
June 13th, 2013, 12:30 PM
There is some primer showing and a few small spots to fix. I have more primer so it will be getting more on the sides. The doors fenders and hood and tailgate only need to be sanded to 600. The roof need to go to 600 and its is done. Got my supplies today and the paint is on its way so all is good so far..

pbrown
June 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I have a really nice 36" sanding board. I can ship it your way if you think it would help.

doghows
June 13th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I have the whole dura block set. I think my long one is at least 36". I also have a 40" flaring board that is 6" wide.. The side panels are very flat (I Think) so hopefully all will be good. If any one is out this way on the weekends please feel free to stop by and run your hand down her and let me know what you think..

That sounded a little wrong didn't it... Anyway fingers crossed..[thumb]

doghows
June 19th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Found them but not sure how to link it. It was under car theme opinions in another thread.
I had my local pinstripe guru and friend Skip do these renderings of my Sedan delivery. I would like your guys opinion. It mostly comes down to color but tell me what you think???

Hey I think it worked.

Luva65wagon
June 21st, 2013, 09:30 PM
Here's the link:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7772&postcount=1

Gonna be a fun line to decide on.

doghows
June 25th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Primer goes on this weekend! [thumb] hopefully it will look as straight as it feels. Then jam time might also get to that this weekend?
Dumb question do I need a sealer?? Or is wet sand to 600 good? I see a lot of stuff where they do a sealer but don't sand after it is applied? My primer says its good to paint right over it solo???
Anyway trying to stick to my timeline of painting either Fourth of July weeken or the next. :D

pbrown
June 25th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Paint can go straight over the primer. Shops will use sealer to get a uniform color to start with. You might have a few areas where you busted through the primer and have spots of different color. You don't want that.

Sealer will also help create a good base when mixing vendors. It's always best practice to use product from one vendor only.

The color of the sealer or primer will also have an impact on the overall appearance of the final color. It's almost like a tint.

doghows
June 25th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks Patrick I will get the priming done and hopefully not blow through anywhere when I wet sand. Ill keep everyone posted and well see how this goes.

doghows
June 29th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Car is prepped and taped off. The primer will be shot tomorrow. Hopefully it will go well. Ill get a pic or two up and then it's time to jam. Looks like I will bump the paint itself to the weekend of the 13th. That will give me time to reassemble and wet sand.
Ok that's it for now look for pics tomorrow. :rocker:

doghows
June 30th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Primer is done. Went well now for more sanding.

Jeff W
June 30th, 2013, 08:11 PM
That looks just great. I think I have two porthole windows pulled from a Pinto Wagon. I can send them over. You will want to cut and dry fit before the final paint.:ROTFLMAO:

doghows
June 30th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Hmmm I could have the only falcon tbird in exsistance.

doghows
July 1st, 2013, 01:37 PM
More pics...

Luva65wagon
July 1st, 2013, 02:12 PM
Looks pretty straight from here!

:rolleyes:

doghows
July 1st, 2013, 06:11 PM
Hmmm.. before during after..

YES YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!:BEER:

pbrown
July 1st, 2013, 06:34 PM
Looks good. This is prior to 600 grit sanding? Wait until you see it after sanding.

doghows
July 1st, 2013, 10:24 PM
The light grey is 320 the dark grey is fresh spray no sanding yet.

Luva65wagon
July 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM
You still got time...

...Jaguar gas cap!

doghows
July 4th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Ok if I have any chance of taking the delivery to the mini regional I'm going to need some help. It looks like paint should be done by end of this month. I hope sooner but I'm giving myself some extra time. That leaves me with the first part of August to put the car together.
She is up and running now so that's not an issue but still have wiring to do and all the trim work so I will plan a tech day or two and see if we can make it happen finally.
So be ready I have boxes of parts and seals and trim waiting to go on. Thanks in advance. Steve.

falcon cobra
July 5th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Steve we should video it like on TV, where there is only a few days to get it done and make it to the show. people can bitch about someones work or lack of, you could fire one or two, and the othere will wonder if it will ever make it to the show on time, and maybe a race to the paint store for more paint just to keep the ratings up:ROTFLMAO:..jh

doghows
July 5th, 2013, 04:27 PM
That's funny. I just came in from sanding the primer and starting the final 600 wet. Danm it looks good. Finish the 600 tomorrow and shoot seal coat next.

doghows
July 6th, 2013, 02:51 PM
So I got most of the car wet sanded to 600. Ill be damned if it is shiny now. Still have the panels and the rear quarters but I ran out of gas.
Ill try to get those done after work this week and hopefully be ready for sealer this next weekend.

BadBird
July 6th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Wooowwwww. Looking very good. Cannot wait to see this thing painted. Keep at it and you are going to be so happy in a not very long. Larry

doghows
July 6th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks Larry its been a long road but the light is getting brighter. My goal is to have it mostly ready for the mini in August

redfalken
July 6th, 2013, 11:51 PM
...Still have the panels and the rear quarters but I ran out of gas...

As if the sawzall isn't enough, you have a gas powered sander!? [thumb] Looking great. Can't wait to check it out in August.

doghows
July 7th, 2013, 09:02 AM
You can check it out sooner. I'm having an assembly party as soon as the paint is dry. I still need to get the seat and headliner done at minimum before the mini and the glass.

SmithKid
July 7th, 2013, 06:02 PM
What are you doing for your seat? I have my take-out bench seat all rebuilt and recovered in '65 Deluxe Blue. Very low usage, in perfect condition, for sale reasonably priced.

Luva65wagon
July 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Steve - You are missing a 9/16" wrench... it's coming in the mail.

Sorry.

:o

doghows
July 8th, 2013, 12:14 PM
No problem. I was cleaning stuff up and noticed it missing from the rack! Figured it would show sooner or later.
Do you have that same problem I do of putting them in your back pocket?
I found one in the washer once!!!
The delivery on the other hand is looking spectacular.

Luva65wagon
July 8th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Oh yeah... was pulling up to the ferry dock and pulled out my wallet (it was in my front pocket) and out came a wrench! :doh:

Yeah, amazing what a little water can do to ease the sanding, huh...

It really is looking (and sounding) very nice!

doghows
July 8th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Hey Roger don't mail that unless you already have, I have others. You can bring it over when we reassemble or paint the car..
The only tools I am using right now is sand paper and a paint gun...:D

doghows
July 18th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Sealer goes on Saturday morning. If all goes well jamming it Saturday afternoon and reassemble on Sunday. So if all goes well final color on the weekend of the 26th.
Ill get some pics up after sealer and hopefully jamming. [yay]

doghows
July 19th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Sealer is down. Looks pretty good got a couple small runs to fix but looks like ill be jamming tomorrow sometime.
Getting exciting now.

doghows
July 19th, 2013, 06:53 PM
One more pic she's looking good.

redfalken
July 19th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Now things get exciting and the satisfaction kicks in! Looking good!

Gina K
July 20th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I agree it looks great. Is anyone coming out to help you or watch or get in the way? I need do get my master cylinder changed over to the dual one and probably new wheel cylinders too be fore the mini meet. It's using a lot brake fluid and my son is going to be driving it down with us to Woodland.going to have it for sale. So could we make it a Tech Day? Just a thought.:-) I would like to see it get painted or at least the finish anyways even if it doesn't work out for my car.
Peace

doghows
July 20th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Went out to look at the car this am and did not like what I saw. The finish is very rough, so I think I am going to wet sand to 600 again. At least the car is all one color but no way ready for color. I think I put too much sealer down. Had the gun adjusted wrong?
Oh well guess ill just keep at it but getting her to the mini is fading fast.

falcon cobra
July 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM
So why did you buy the comet if you now want to sell it???

Gina K
July 20th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I'm not selling the Comet, I'm selling my Falcon. Trying to keep two on the road is too much for me.

doghows
July 20th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Got the tailgate, a fender, and the hood and stone guard re-sanded. Back after it again tomorrow.

doghows
July 20th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Did a little research on Valspar paint and it turns out that Valspar is the manufacturer of House Of Kolor Shimron paints.
Made me feel better about my paint for the car. Hope fully I will get to spray it on the car one day.

Luva65wagon
July 30th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Steve - missed somehow the post that things went south on the sealer. Were you able to wet sand that and spray any color yet?

doghows
July 30th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Yup wet sanded back to 600P again.. Car is in the booth getting jammed right now. Will do final assembly this weekend and hopefully shoot color next week.
Re-assembly party should be August 10th or 17th. I hoping for the 10th otherwise she ain't making the mini... I think I'm pushing it anyway so we will see how it goes..
Bright side it IS getting color on it.....:doh::D

doghows
August 1st, 2013, 08:10 AM
Stopped by and checked on the delivery last night and color is flying, couldn't open the booth so no pics yet. jamming should be done today so I will haul her home and put her together this weekend, and then back in the booth to get the last of the color.. I'll get pics up as soon as she is out of the booth...[yay][yay]

Luva65wagon
August 1st, 2013, 09:22 AM
So... we are back in good graces with your painter? Or are we onto painter #3 (or is that #4 or 5)?

SmithKid
August 1st, 2013, 09:52 AM
Why are painters always such a P-I-T-A? Seems like everyone I talk to about painters have had problems of one sort or another with them, myself included.

doghows
August 1st, 2013, 10:35 AM
Painter #3. At least this one is actually applying color. The other two wanted powder coating done and as soon as their stuff was done so was I. This time it's cash. So I will have a 7k paint job when I'm done. Lesson learned. :o

falcon cobra
August 1st, 2013, 04:46 PM
Gene,:D the paint fumes come to mind

doghows
August 1st, 2013, 08:58 PM
Amen to that.

SmithKid
August 2nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
You may be right, John. Along with beer for at least two of them that I know of. My painter, in particular, started his day at 10:30 or 11:00 with a beer after opening the door, then slowly drank 4 or 5 more until time to head for the tavern around 2:30. All tired out from all that arm lifting, I'm sure.

doghows
August 2nd, 2013, 09:55 PM
Car is looking great. Finishing the jams tomorrow. Bring it home Tuesday put it together and back to paint.
Bad news is no way will she be ready for the mini so I need to decide if I should trailer the unfinished car or just show up.

doghows
August 8th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Jams done. Now to put it all together for final color.

Vikingblu
August 8th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I like the color, resembles raw steel.

doghows
August 11th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Assembly done. Back to the paint shop. Should be done by the end of the week.

SmithKid
August 11th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Lookin' good!

doghows
August 12th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Ok here she is: Now back to paint and hopefully Ill have her back by Friday. Then let the assembly begin!!!

Luva65wagon
August 13th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Hallelujah and amen! What a day that will be!

Give it a couple days to cure before you do too much, but I would think if it is painted and ready to assemble, it would give us something to do while we are in Woodland... install the windshield maybe? [thumb]

doghows
August 13th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Goes to the upholstery shop on the 26th for headliner and seat so glass needs to wait. Maybe carpet, wiring, taillights, headlights, steering column, glovebox, ect, ect, ect.
Well see how she looks when I get her home and how far I get. Maybe if all goes well ill work on it this weekend. Hint hint. I'll post pics as soon as I pick her up. [yay][yay][thumb]

doghows
August 15th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Looks like the delivery isn't coming home till next week. Prep is all done so color should go on tonight or tomorrow. Will give it the weekend to dry in his heated booth, then get her home. Need to decide if I should take a very unfinished car out or not??
Opinions on that are welcome because ill trailer it down like I did the van last year?

doghows
August 22nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
Look what I got for my birthday!!!!!

Now to start putting her together.. What weekend has anyone got available for an assembly party?!?:3g::D:D[yay][thumb][yay]:rocker:
Can you see my smile from over there???

falcon cobra
August 22nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
Looken fine there Mr. poweder man. that will be really cool @ the next show when it"s done. great colors , congrats....jh:rocker:

SmithKid
August 22nd, 2013, 04:37 PM
Beautiful! I hope the assembly party is when I can make it there!
There does seem to be a glow off to the west!

Vikingblu
August 22nd, 2013, 08:15 PM
Look what I got for my birthday!!!!!

Now to start putting her together.. What weekend has anyone got available for an assembly party?!?:3g::D:D[yay][thumb][yay]:rocker:
Can you see my smile from over there???

Happy Birthday! She is a Jewel!

doghows
August 22nd, 2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys. She's got a few flaws but I don't care she a driver not a trailer queen.
Let me know the days available she goes in Monday for some of the upholstery work and then over go the glass guy and then over to the pinstriper.
So second weekend in September might be the magic one.
Yes I'm still smiling.

Jeff W
August 22nd, 2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys. She's got a few flaws but I don't care she a driver not a trailer queen.

Steve... the best way to minimize the flaws is to not point them out to anyone. You will likely be the only person that notices them.

Nice work and congratulations[BOW]

Gina K
August 23rd, 2013, 07:08 AM
Happy Birthday Steve🎉🍰!!

dhbfaster
August 23rd, 2013, 06:21 PM
Sweet paint job. Love the two tone, especially the tail gate.

doghows
August 24th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Got another birthday present today. Wheels and tire check!!!!

SmithKid
August 24th, 2013, 07:13 PM
WOW! NICE! Would you consider adopting me?

doghows
August 24th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Anytime Gene you were my inspiration for shaving my door handles. I think I'm doing a lot of assembly next weekend since ill have 3 days.
Maybe the weekend after that will have the party.

Vikingblu
August 25th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Got another birthday present today. Wheels and tire check!!!!

WOW!!
PC bumpers may just slide right in to the look.

BPVan
August 25th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Congrats, you must feel great after all this time. Looks great!

SmithKid
August 25th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Steve, I think I remember you were considering blacking out the front of your delivery Snapped a pic of a round-body with a blacked grill at the mini for your perusal.

doghows
August 25th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks Gene I like it.

Anyone want to come and play???

BillP 98201
August 26th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Very nice! Good things are worth waiting forv:BEER:

doghows
August 26th, 2013, 02:06 PM
If anyone is still interested I would like to plan the assembly party. I'm leaning towards the 7th of September? Will that work? I'm open since its been 4 years another week or two wont kill me now.

BPVan
August 26th, 2013, 03:48 PM
7th Works for me

Gina K
August 26th, 2013, 08:20 PM
If the weather is good I'm suppose to be camping at the Sol Duc with friends from work but .....maybe :-). Steve, did you get the gift from Gene I left between you're front door and screen door today about 5:00?

SmithKid
August 26th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately, I'm going to be unavailable that weekend. Maybe it'll be more than one weekend? :mad:

redfalken
August 26th, 2013, 09:21 PM
So far I can make that if someone(s) wants to carpool.

doghows
August 26th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Got the package thanks Gina and Gene. It might take a few weekends to do but ill keep it all posted here.

Luva65wagon
August 27th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Steve,

Took another 4 hours last night, but got it all put together for you. Should look really nice in there I hope. A couple "touches" were done to it most won't notice, but had to do it. Maybe the pics will clue you in.

I found a finger print on the lens (which took most of the time to get as many scratches out of it I could) at about 10:30 last night so need to disassemble it again to wipe that off, but it's ready to go!

[thumb]

As I texted you my September is really crazy due to trade show stuff (still need to address the club meeting date thing, since I'll be gone...), but I might be available a day over the Labor Day weekend if that'll work for you. I'm sure we can knock out a few things if you plan to be there.

pbrown
August 27th, 2013, 12:14 PM
So far I can make that if someone(s) wants to carpool.

Let me check with my social director. I can probably do this.

doghows
August 27th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Dropped the car off at the upholstery shop and got bad news. They need it for two weeks so it looks like the party will have to wait. I think with Labor Day and all it's a bit heck tick anyway. So my preliminary day looks to be around the 21st of September. I'll hope for sooner but like I said before its been 4 years what's another week or so.

And Roger that is fantastic. You have free powder coating for life. I notice the mileage is reset for the restoration. I'll have to look closer for more.
If you need to kill some time I will be rebuilding the vent windows and polishing some trim up this weekend so still lots to do.

Thanks everyone for your help and support during this project it sure is great to ave a good group of people to help and keep you motivated. Now to get out and enjoy her. :BEER:

Luva65wagon
August 27th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I'll see how things pan out for the weekend Steve. Maybe bring some stuff over for powder coating. And bring your wrench back too. Oh, and the dash.

:BEER:

doghows
August 27th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Cool let me know, I am taking fri-mon off. will do some polishing and vet window rebuilding and ????

Vikingblu
August 28th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Steve,

Took another 4 hours last night, but got it all put together for you. Should look really nice in there I hope. A couple "touches" were done to it most won't notice, but had to do it. Maybe the pics will clue you in.

I found a finger print on the lens (which took most of the time to get as many scratches out of it I could) at about 10:30 last night so need to disassemble it again to wipe that off, but it's ready to go!

[thumb]

I am not worthy [BOW]

that is beautiful work Roger!

Is the left TS indicator an add on?

SmithKid
August 29th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I wonder how this would work as a Tech Day project (with a knowledgeable instructor. Hint, Hint.). I'd like to do this to mine and I bet others would also. Matter of fact, I've also considered acquiring the white overlay for mine.

Come to think of it, I'd be willing to host this in my garage.

Luva65wagon
August 29th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Not that hard to do. The 64/65 dash calls out high beam and turn signal. So you'd kinda need to address that in some way. But this dash for Steve was harder to do than my Ranchero because all the faces I could use for this style of dash had surface rust. I repainted it and reapplied the white lines and dots. Partly OK job. Anyway, sure, we can do more of them. :NERVOUS:

ew1usnr
August 30th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Hello, Luva65Wagon:

The lights behind the instrument panel are enclosed in oval-shaped cardboard tubes. The 50-year old cardboard can crumble at the edges and no longer make a light-tight seal. Did you replace the tubes when you rebuilt your instrument panel? If so, with what did you replace them?

Thanks, Dennis.

SmithKid
August 30th, 2013, 08:15 AM
There I go not being specific enough again. My suggestion concerning a possible tech day was aimed at splitting the turn signal indicators to individual lights. Not repainting the face.

Gina K
August 30th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Hello, Luva65Wagon:

The lights behind the instrument panel are enclosed in oval-shaped cardboard tubes. The 50-year old cardboard can crumble at the edges and no longer make a light-tight seal. Did you replace the tubes when you rebuilt your instrument panel? If so, with what did you replace them?

Thanks, Dennis.

I have that same issue in my Falcon, the generater and oil lights light up with the dash lights. In a previous conversation Roger said it probably is the missing or old tubes.

Luva65wagon
August 30th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Well we are all kinda confused now. So...

1) Painting the lines was needed on Steve's, so I wasn't mixing up your request Gene with what I had to do for Steve. What I was saying relative to your request was that with the 64/65 dash the issue is that the words "High Beam" and "Turn Signal" are written on the face. And not to imply that Gina was asking for this modification too... but the same thing is true on the Comet dash in her car.

To split out the wires and have left/right and high beam in 3 places is the easy part, but on the 64/65 or Comet would require dealing with the words written on the face - otherwise "high beam" would be left turn signal and "turn signal" would be right turn signal. You would know what they are, but would others?

The pod dashes in the round-body Falcon didn't "say" anything, so it was a non-issue.

I pulled my dash in my 65 wagon to do Steve's dash - since the thing I added, which nobody so far called out, was adding the ALT instead of GEN. I had a new lens (thanks to Jay Baker) and so I pulled my old one and stole the ALT and OIL from my dash and put them in Steve's.

2) The cardboard tubes I had plenty of, since I have about 6 or 7 dash pods laying around. Most are crumbling though. This dash of Steve's, which has the extra-fancy chrome face, presented a hurdle to adding the high-beam indicator. I had to first choose a spot you could see it, which was slightly off-center to make it appear between the 5 and 0 of 50. Then there was no direct path for the cardboard tube to that spot - at least one that would accommodate a round or square tube the entire length. So I had to make a stepped tube to get it past the dash face (the one with the lines). My Ranchero dash (and most pod dashes) was different than Steve's and allowed for a direct/straight tube.

If you are needing tubes (and I don't have any good ones left for the pod-style dashes) I think the source for these might be the model rocket tubes? I'm sure they can be had at any hobby shop. They come is a variety of sizes. I made the special tube for Steve's using stuff I had laying around. I may go have a look. I have a lot of dashes I could restore (and split up this way) if I had tubes

The other issue with splitting these is having enough good "green" film. Will need to come up with a source for that stuff.

3) Gina, I am pulling up a blank knowing your dash lights were blending with each other. Again, we'll blame it on old age. I never pulled it apart - only pulled it out to polish it. Please add it to the list and we'll address it first chance we get. Not hard to do.

So did that straighten it out? :D

Steve, looks like I may make the trek out there on Sunday if that'll do ya. If I don't get a reply here I'll call you.

MacDee
August 30th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Speaking of hobby shops,
I once worked in one, a long time ago...
We sold model rockets, model airplanes, etc., and stuff to build them with.
A product we sold to cover airplane wings was called Monocoat. It was a plastic film that could be had in multitudes of colors, opaque and transparent. You put it over a wing structure as smooth as you could, then heated it with a heat gun (like a hair dryer) and it would shrink to a smooth, snug fit.
I wonder if it's still available... in green.

doghows
August 30th, 2013, 12:40 PM
You're making me feel bad Roger that was a lot of work I owe you big. And your right I totally missed the alt gen light. Did I mention I just turned 50??
Sunday I need to double check with Laurie we might take the dogs to the beach but she had t said a day yet. Sounds like Brian might be in the area tomorrow. Just let me know time wise and well see where we are at.
Thanks for all the hard work on the dash and for the green stuff go to staples and get the plastic file folders and just cut away.
If we do the beach it's hash ally at low tide and only gone for an hour or two at most.

Luva65wagon
August 30th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Don't feel bad. I'm my own worst enemy.

Let me know. If I were to go it would be normal time - about 10am arrival and needing to head back around 3 or 4.

SmithKid
August 30th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Oh yeah! I guess I did kinda misdirect this thread. Sorry! And all to ask for something that wasn't really very easy because I wasn't really looking at my dash at the time. Sorry again! I return control of this thread to the helm.

Gina K
August 30th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Roger,
Wrong car....the Comets dash lights are perfect.🚙

doghows
August 31st, 2013, 08:27 PM
Ok so back to the topic of this thread. Here is how the delivery looks now. Too bad it will be at the upholstery shop for a couple weeks.
Oh well that light is getting brighter.

Vikingblu
September 2nd, 2013, 12:21 AM
I tip my hat to you sir, quite a hardcore build.
http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=782&d=1266252247

doghows
September 2nd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Thank you it did not start out that way and I had no intentions of doing what I did but like roger always says I was struck by the whil I'm at it disease.
Never done anything like this before so it just goes to show you with some determination and help from friends anyone here can do it.
I hope to make her debut show on the 28th of September at the wal mart here in port Angeles. If any of you can make it that would be cool. Also it looks like the final assembly party will be on the 14th and the 21st. Ill keep every one up to date on that.
Thanks everyone for your help support and advise. :3g:

doghows
September 5th, 2013, 06:54 AM
So I was wrong about the show date over here. It is on the 21st of September not the 28th. So I don't know if I will be ready for that one.
Are there any good shows left over there in late September early October? Might have to debut the car over there.

falcon cobra
September 5th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Snohomish show at the end of september,maybe the 29th

Vikingblu
September 5th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Snohomish show at the end of september,maybe the 29th

Here is a link
http://www.snohomish.org/events-calendar/detail/snohomish-hot-rod-and-classic-car-show/2013-09-29

Luva65wagon
September 11th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Steve - what's happening? Do you need me to ship that dash to you in case my travels don't allow me to come over before you need it? Anybody heading to Steve's soon? Blanket questions to ping your thread...

doghows
September 11th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Roger; the car will be back from the upholstery shop next week. So if I do a tech day the soonest will be on the 21st of September. I have plenty of work to do so not dying for it yet.
Look for a tech day on the 21st or the 28th in the meantime I'll sneak a pic or two from the shop tomorrow I need to drop a few things off for them..
The light is bright enough I need my sunglasses on now!!!!:banana::banana:[yay][yay]:3g:

doghows
September 13th, 2013, 01:17 PM
So my upholstery guy said I will have my car back next week. So that put the first date up for the assembly party on the 21st of September. Let me know if you want to come over and if the next weekend might be better. I have plenty to do so ill be working both weekends and probably a few after that.
Need to finish the wiring, door seals, all the outer seals and trim. Nothing to mechanical left unless I buy a rack and pinion steering by then.
Thanks everyone it's been a long road but soon I'll be driving that road. :rocker:

pbrown
September 13th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Maybe start planning your trip to the Christmas show at the XXX. Do you have heaters on the home shop?

doghows
September 13th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Heaters are cleaned and ready to fire. So is the one in the car.

doghows
September 16th, 2013, 08:26 PM
So how does September 28th sound for anyone that wants to help with a tech day at my home shop? The delivery will be ready for door seal rubber bumpers and final assembly.
Also have room in the garage for at least one other car and room for 20 or so in the driveway. So if you need stuff done need help or want to help this would be the time.
I will update the assembly party thread so reply there and let's see what we can get done.

redfalken
September 16th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I think that works for me if someone wants to carpool.

doghows
September 20th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Interior is almost done. Had a delay due to fabric back order but these were shot today. I pick it up Tuesday so the reassembly is on for the 28th.

doghows
September 20th, 2013, 03:21 PM
My I-pad will only let me post one pic at a time?? Oh we'll.

doghows
September 20th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Last one for now.

ew1usnr
September 21st, 2013, 04:43 AM
The grey carpet looks beautiful. The way you ran it up the walls turned out really nice and should do a lot to reduce noise.

One question: Did the sedan delivery Falcons not have a back seat like the two-door station wagons?

One other question: Why is the steering column so skinny?

Thanks, Dennis.

doghows
September 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM
The delivery did not have a back seat but since it is based on the two door station wagon I could put one in.
The state ring column is not installed yet your seeing the inner shaft only right now. The painted part is home and will get installed later. I did that so the steering wheel could be removed easily for better access to the headliner and windshield install.

redfalken
September 21st, 2013, 01:19 PM
Looks like you're almost ready to roll Steve! If someone else is heading up on the 28th, let me know. Maybe we can carpool and save a little gas/ferry money.

Luva65wagon
September 21st, 2013, 05:15 PM
I just got back from a Vegas trade show. I'm game. Gonna check to be sure, but think it'll work out.

Looks awesome Steve.

[thumb]

doghows
September 23rd, 2013, 07:03 AM
Sounds good thanks guys. Anyone else that wants to come is welcome and if you want to do the meeting here as well that's fine by me. I've been meaning to get to one and this will give me no excuse.
Plus bonus ill either pick up a bunch of pizzas or maybe I can talk my lovely wife into cooking for us again. Chime in for a head count and ill get everything ready over here.
See you all Saturday.

dhbfaster
September 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
Steve, Roger,
What time are you guys thinking in terms of schedule for pizza, club meeting time and time at the car?

Luva65wagon
September 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Let's talk about that on the thread Steve created about the party. This will help us keep it all together:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2247

doghows
September 23rd, 2013, 09:19 PM
I'm thinking car, then some more car, then maybe some car and then well sneak in some food and maybe some club time.
Just kiding lunch will be around noon and probably some club stuff at that time.

On the delivery does anyone have a talent for installing door seals? What is the best adhesive that anyone has found? Just trying to get my ducks in a row so we can get as much acomplished as possible.
Can you see my grin from over there????
Woo hoo yippee and all those other "man am I excited" words.

Luva65wagon
September 24th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Steve. Get a couple tubes of BLACK 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive and some acid brushes from the hardware store. This will get the weatherstrip on. I've done plenty of cars as I'm sure Kenny has too.

Is the windshield in or are we doing that too? Might be good to post a to-do list on the other thread so we can bring what we already may have.

And of course I will bring the dash and we can install that.

doghows
September 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM
OK got the black stuff, the windshield will be in.

Door glass and regulators..
vent windows (hopefully rebuilt)
tailgate glass and power window stuff.
taillights and wires
exterior trim (stainless stuff)
steering column install and wires
bumpers
front sway bar (new bushings just got here I almost forgot it)
grill and headlight buckets
door seals
tailgate seals
Mostly a lot of trim stuff rubber bumpers, fuzzies, things like that. I am sure there is more to do than we can get to but will try to prioritize it.
The wiring should be pretty easy, its all the Ron Francis kit and is pretty much plug and play. The power window in the tailgate will be the hardest to do as I am hooking it up to the remote with the door poppers.
I'm trying to think about the hardware aspect due to the 45 minute time to run into town. So trying to make sure I have stuff at home..
I will have water sodas, and I am supplying pizzas for lunch, looks like we will have a few people and steaks would take away from the finish the car budget!! (haha)
Anything else anyone thinks of let me know so I can have stuff ready and we can have some fun. Thanks for all your help and see you all Saturday:rocker:..

redfalken
September 24th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Have some degreaser to clean the mold release off the rubber. And clean the painted surface it sticks to. Lacquer thinner works too but I think degreaser flashes off quicker.

I'm sure we'll get a lot done!

doghows
September 25th, 2013, 07:10 AM
How is super clean or greased lightning? I have that here will make one more stop the car parts store and get acid brushes and another tube if black stuff.
Hopefully ill have most of what is needed.
I pick the car up today so upholstry should be done and glass should be in as well.
That light is getting real bright now I need my sunglasses.

redfalken
September 25th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I'm not familiar with greased lightning or super clean but if they are detergent based I would avoid them on the rubber part and go with a solvent based cleaner that will flash off and not leave any trace of residue.

The degreaser would be like a painting prep solvent you wipe the car down with right before painting. It removes any grease or wax. I've used isopropanol as well.

doghows
September 25th, 2013, 08:37 AM
OK I still have a bunch of paint prep left that I used. It is a wax and grease remover. Cool thanks for the tip..

And just to reassure you I have locked all power tools away!!:sawzall:

doghows
September 26th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Ok so here is the glass story; If any of you know me you know that I am very anal about the details of getting my car done. Trying to do everything in order ect,ect.. So Last Monday September 16th I took my old glass, trim and new gasket over to the glass shop. Told him it was at the upholstery shop and they were good with him doing the install at their shop. They actually prefered it so they could make sure their headliner was in correctly and no issues.
The glass guy did not like the gasket I had so I OVERNIGHTED a Dennis carpenter one. Dropped it off Tuesday afternoon the 17th. I left everyone alone until Monday the 23rd when I had to get some parts out to the upholstery shop. I did not see the glass installed yet. Called the glass shop and they promised me it would be put in on Wednesday afternoon the 25th. I picked the car up yesterday the 25th and guess what... NO GLASS! So called up the glass shop he said I'm busy bring it to my shop.
SO the morning of the 26th I drop the car off at 7:30 am told him I had another appointment for the car at 4:30 called them at 3 o'clock and he was out of town and my car had not been touched again. So I went over gave them an earful and loaded her up to go home. Not even so much as a sorry I was swamped or anything. He said if I pay him cash he would come to the house and put it in on Monday..:doh::doh:
I give up. If I ever do another car I am sending all my work out of town where there are more than one of each shop and the competition keeps them hungry..
On a good note the upholstery guys are awesome and top notch work, that I am very pleased with....
Ok rant over of my soapbox, have a good day.:rocker:

Luva65wagon
September 26th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Well.. if you wanna attempt the windshield install on Saturday too, just pick up some of the windshield bedding from Wesco (not the glue, but the tar-like stuff) and we'll do it first. I've installed 20-30 windshields and I'm certain Kenny has a few under his belt too. We did his back window and Joanna's as tech-day things. Up to you. It's messy, so we need to be sure to protect anything in the upholstery department.

I do know some "professionals" who have opted to allow the rubber do all the sealing and negate the tar-bedding (or whatever that stuff is). Fine if the car will never see rain, but I'd never do it.

doghows
September 26th, 2013, 08:37 PM
I'm up for it I'll look for the tar in the am. Ill post up if I find it or not.

redfalken
September 26th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Windows...fun! You'll need some rope too for the installation. Small enough diameter to go down into the groove in the seal. Enough length to go around the circumference of the glass plus 3 or 4 extra feet.

doghows
September 27th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Found some 3M window bedding stuff so I got that.. If you guys are more comfortable with your stuff bring a tube and well figure it out..
Thanks everyone Im excited to get this thing on the road after 4.5 years...

doghows
September 29th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Assembly went well. Windshield is in tailgat is assembled door seals in vector windows rebuilt side trim installed. Very good head start about two more days like that and she'll be rocking.
Thanks guys for all the help. I have a heat shrink kit here I think it's Brian or Rogers. I'll keep it safe unless you need it shipped back let me know.
I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

BPVan
October 1st, 2013, 01:27 PM
I always forget something. I am not in a rush to get it.

doghows
October 1st, 2013, 02:30 PM
Ok let me know and I'll ship if needed.

doghows
October 1st, 2013, 03:50 PM
Picked up the last parts from the painter today. Now it's all up to me except for the pinstriping. Going to try and put the doors together tonight. :o

Luva65wagon
October 1st, 2013, 03:58 PM
Hopefully the sealer we used to glue the division bars into the vent frames hold up. Be careful with them while you're putting those in. You'll need to get 6 of those little machine screws - so if you don't have any smallish machine screws, I'd pick up an assortment. These looked to be a 6-32 x 3/8" or maybe an 8-32 x 3/8. Once you have the PS wing in, you can glue up the lat bit of weatherstrip on that door. You may want to pick up another tube of the 08001 3M Black weatherstrip adhesive too.

doghows
October 1st, 2013, 08:07 PM
Got the screws and the glue. So far everything is staying in place. Got the door poppers hooked up so I think I can button up the doors. One more powe wire to the remote for the power rear window and the interior can go back in.
Maybe leave the seat out till the dash work is done. :rocker: