Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Yes...the tires I had were about 3/4 inch too small...which doesn't seem like much but felt like a lot to me!
    I did plenty of comparisons and fretting a lot about it...I ended up with the Milestar P175/80R13 86S M&S. Love them. Rides great, and looks much better too.
    Of course you can also go with Coker... the Milestars are actually about 1/4 inch bigger than the 6.0 tires that came with the car. They are closer to the 6.5 tires that came on some of the wagons, etc. They're about 1" taller than the tires that were on there when I got the car.
    I bought the Milestars at Walmart for about $50 each.

By the way, I have a bunch of other threads...
    I think if you use this link it will take you to all the threads for my car:

https://www.rainierfalcons.com/forum...searchid=30012

There is one just about tire size somewhere...
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

A rear end to look at

Hello guys!
    I finally got out for a nice drive, 34 miles or so and rolled over the 500 mile mark on the engine.
    DA214368-0DF7-4700-933C-912F170526BB.jpg
    Now I can finally stop using the break-in oil and change to 10w30. YaY! Plan to take care of that tomorrow.
    On the drive though, it really seems like the driveline (pretty sure it?s the rear end) is both loosening up a bit (quite sloppy) and getting noisier. I was starting to get concerned.
    Those of you who followed my thread ?back when? will recall that I rebuilt the rear axle myself (I felt way over my head on that...) with all new bearings, but kept the original ring and pinion that did have some pitting. So...looking for your thoughts...
    1) Sloppiness...did I not shim the pinion tight enough?
    2) The noise...is like a hum, seems to be getting a little louder than it was before, especially when I get up to 55mph or so. Would that be from the pitting that was there?
    37CC4575-8425-43D5-9C32-E4686DFCAFB0.jpg
    Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

It's tough Don to make an assessment on a rear-end noise in most cases without actually pulling the cover and just seeing how it's setup. The pitting I see hear wouldn't make much of an audible, but having the pinion engaging poorly, or in the wrong spot, could contribute a lot. The bearings all being new should nullify them, so I'm thinking it's probably sloppy or misaligned somewhat.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"