Thread: Lift points for a 170 engine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lift points for a 170 engine

Hello,

I have a 1961 with a 170 engine that I need to remove from the car.

What is the best way to hook it up to my lift?

Should I use some lift ears or just high grade bolts and chains?

What are the best locations on the engine to attach to?

I have access to a 2 ton lift with an engine leveler bar. Just wasn't for sure the best way to get the engine chained up to the lift.

Any help or info is appreciated! Thanks!

-Andrew

Ford originally used hooks to grab the intake manifold log. You'll see holes cast in between runners opened for this. You can use lift ears or chain and pull the exhaust manifold for those bolt holes. Use good grade 5 or 8 bolts and make sure you take up bolt slack. Bolts allowed to bend are more apt to break that even smaller bolts tightened. Hanging on one side only will tilt the motor as you lift it, but there are not a lot of good boss bolt holes on the distributor side. Pulling it this isn't as big a deal as when you are trying to put one in.

No matter what, lift smart.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Ford originally used hooks to grab the intake manifold log. You'll see holes cast in between runners opened for this. You can use lift ears or chain and pull the exhaust manifold for those bolt holes. Use good grade 5 or 8 bolts and make sure you take up bolt slack. Bolts allowed to bend are more apt to break that even smaller bolts tightened. Hanging on one side only will tilt the motor as you lift it, but there are not a lot of good boss bolt holes on the distributor side. Pulling it this isn't as big a deal as when you are trying to put one in.

No matter what, lift smart.

Any idea off the top of your head on bolt size and length for those bolts that will attach to the manifold bolt holes?

Thanks again!

-Andrew

They are 3/8-16 bolts. Get grade 8 or 5 (6 marks or 3 marks on the bolt head).

Length will depend on whether you use lift plates or just putting the bolts through the chain eye. Just be sure you have plenty of thread engagement and can snug the bolt.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"