Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hilarious! must be an inside joke for the rebuilder.
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

Or possibly the "RECEIVER" of the shipment with a weird sense of humor. That little "defilement" made the entire pallet almost fall out of the transport vehicle.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    Hilarious! must be an inside joke for the rebuilder.
    Or something left in Jeff's hands too long.

Suffice it to say, the day didn't go well after this meet-up with Jeff (and his fine Starbucks history tour). As much as we shot for getting down south before traffic got too heavy - silly me to think there is ever a time anymore when traffic isn't too heavy. Maybe 2 AM. But not 2 PM. Made it to Pacific on SR-167 and I could no longer get the car to shift correctly. Like the clutch pedal throw was no longer correct. Scramble ensued to get off the freeway, trying another route, failed, ended up at Dairy Queen calling AAA and towed it to Gene's place. The bright side? The tow truck driver had to deal with the traffic.

20190628_162716.jpg

20190628_162734.jpg

By the time we go everything to Gene's, off-loaded and uncrated the motor, staged the car in the garage... we were both done. So the day begins tomorrow again at 9. Should be a better day of progress.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

It's in my garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Close, but no cigar... I mean gasket.

Gene and I, and a few invisible members, got the old motor pulled on Saturday in pretty quick order, but as Gene was sitting there looking at the new motor against the old asked about the header gaskets. The new head has some much larger ports. As I looked at that I also grabbed the intake gaskets the builder sent - only to find they were not correct for the heads he provided. First thought was... WHY SEND THEM THEN? I was very proactive getting all the stuff I thought I needed and thought he was sending gaskets to fit his head.

After a frantic attempt to contact the builder, late on a Saturday, for details on this as well as other questions (I didn't get a reply until the next day), I had to do a Summit Racing overnight to get intake gaskets to fit it. They are due in on Tuesday (tomorrow), so yesterday, on Sunday, Gene and I managed to get the new motor in and all the underside stuff installed. Today I reinstalled everything that was left shy of the intake, so on Wednesday I have maybe 2 hrs of work so I can get it running.

After some internal debate I decided not to try and sell off this 289 motor whole. Gene wants the heads (1.99 1.60 valves) and I'll probably have a look at the bearings to see what happened and offer the rest on Craigslist, and here, to make a buck or two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Were you able to sort out the clutch troubles?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Tech Day?

We got the new motor installed and Roger drove it a quick test drive around a few blocks. Then after a bit of clean-up he drove it home. I think I was at least as nervous ans he was about the maiden drive in our terrible traffic. However he called and reported the trip "incident free" with maybe a minor lingering problem with the clutch.

I was disappointed in our "tech day" (that turned out to be several days). He and I doing the job was not near the club event as the old ones that took place with my car and others a few years back.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Aw come-on Gene, "you are the club I know." But yeah, to say the least, I too was a bit saddened by the lack of response for this tech day(s). But oh well, what ya gonna do. I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think the two of us, or even me by myself, couldn't have accomplished the task. I'm in your debt, Gene, for the use of your garage and elbow grease.

Here it is.

20190704_120558.jpg

Found out (after it started and ran like crapola) the builder used a 351W cam, which required a quick re-route of the spark plug wires (different firing order), so will have to scrutinize the plug wires again to get them routed the way I like. But it ran so much better afterward. It was getting late in the day and, as Gene indicated, I only did a quick "round the block" test drive before hitting the road.

Should have maybe looked around the motor more before I left. I found this sitting on the headers and steering box. I'll get it back to you, Gene, when I come back to get the 289 left-overs.

20190704_120656.jpg

There is still an issue with the clutch (slave?) or I still have some air in the system. Cool/cold, the pedal disengages the clutch nicely. When I got home the wife wanted to go for a ride and I found the clutch to be only partially disengaging the clutch. Of course, no way to look at it without a flat spot on concrete where I can jack it up.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"