Long posts are fine. I've no doubt already won the prize for long posts. Here, let me explain.

If the name of the car starts with F and ends with N, then it has a problem with fuel filler stains, filling, burping, all of the above. Having had a few Falcons - all of them, 1 Wagon, 1 Ranchero, 1 Sedan (my first), 1 hardtop... I can attest to this issue having merit. Venting is only part of the problem, I'm afraid. And I really don't think anyone has ever "solved" the issue - when... all the parts are original and fully functional. And I'm going to admit to you, I've never searched other brand/models' forums for tank-fill/body staining issues. I'd venture a guess the issue has more to do with fill-ups than angle/drip. Fuel level is spill level, and you are not going to have fuel at that level, unless you are upside down. Fumes on vented caps can also condense fuel on the area of the fill.

I feel the real issue, with staining (anyway), is fuel speed delivery. The faster you fill a tank, the faster you have to exhaust any pressure. Of course, cars today are designed for a massive recycle, or capture, of fuel pressure - all to keep them-there fumes from floating to that-there ozone layer. A good thing, I say. But because the industry moved to self-serve and mankind's impatience in life, well... they did two things: 1) increased the pump pressure to cut a few oh so very precious seconds from the time it takes to fill 'er up, and 2) made the nozzle smaller (with higher pressure = uh, velocity increase?); all to help them with 'mechanical incompatible syndrome' from pumping leaded fuel into their new BMW or mini-van. Can we say, "New catalytic converter?" (with apologies to those of you who've recently received a $10,000 bill from their muffler shop because someone hack'ed yours off outside your house at 4 in the morning), but that smaller fill nozzle was to circumnavigate that potential and no other. And with faster fuel delivery for those who are in a hurry to fritter away the hour in an off-hand way.

But dang't if that didn't just start playing havoc with our __________________(your car name here) - they're suffering from fuel blemish.!!!

Now obviously you have a collector car - and doing a late model filler/door and a new plastic tank (and anything else you might want to re-engineer), well, it isn't going to be you're go-to solution. So then, what to do?

First choice for many is to relocate the fill. Easy if you have a hardtop or sedan. Not so easy on a Ranchero, but it's doable if you've got dem'skilz. A real re-engineer of the filler is needed on wagons. Period.

Two of us (here) have done a full exterior relocations on a round-body wagon/Ranchero using vintage Jaguar fills. Round body's are easier than square, but the main thing you're trying to do is, 1) get your fuel entry as high above the tank and as straight as possible, and 2) create a better vent system. Ranchero's can, at least, relocate the fill into the bed. Sedans/hardtops can relocate into the trunk - if (AND THIS IS A BIG IF) the cap is NON-vented. Note: This job should be done with full attention to not-cutting-any-corners. And it offers the advantage of a nozzle-almost-in-the-tank fill experience and negation of any appreciable fill neck. But you can't hold a conversation at the gas-pump. Basically, you only want to trust the auto-shut-off on the gas-pump with the tank fill out of the car.

Here's couple I've done or helped with (and done).

2013-07-30 22.02.10.jpg JagCapAwesome.jpg gasfiller.jpg

Of course, shy of modification the best thing to do is to make sure all the venting is present and blown out with compressed air. Or add it. Not uncommon to have critters find comfort up a nifty little tube-house. On my Ranchero (63) there was a vent tube that looped up into the rear-quarter and then went back down and out a hole down yonder. On my wagon (65) there was no vent. So I added one. And honestly, it was before the advent of my phone taking pictures of everything I do on my Falcon(s) days. I do so much on auto-pilot I don't always recall the things I've done, more than simply knowing I've done it. Picture taking on phones has had me staring down the various dates and times of things I've done and made me wonder. "OK, didn't I also have a job back then? Where'd I find time to do all that!?"

I know also, of a tech article on the FCA club forum showing a guy modifying he innerds of his filler to accept the smaller nozzles to restrict much of the burb issues while filling. So there's that potential.

So that's sort of all I know about the subject.

How'd I do?