Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The New 170 Will Noot Cool! HELP!

The New 170 Will Noot Cool! HELP!

I can't help with the 170 engine, but I had horrible issues with my 347 engine overheating and went through most of the same type fixes trying to cool my engine off. It would boil over no matter what I tried. I purchased an aluminum radiator originally, tried electric fans pushing because there was no room on the engine side. Still boiled.
    I tried different thermostats, no thermostat, different size restrictor plates, got rid of the electric fan, tried different types of blades on cooling fans, on and on and on.

I finally ran into a guy at Hot August Nights. He saw my issues and told me his solution to the same thing. He had just installed a new four core radiator from Champion and went back to the engine fan.

I got home ordered the same radiator, had to modify my frame and cowl to get room for the radiator/fan. Now it runs at 185 degrees no matter what or where I go.

But, my brother Jerry with his Fairlane has done what I have and he must have the engine from Hell that Roger talks about.

May not be any help. ?? Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Oh look - two threads with the same stuff!

One thing I didn't post over in the other thread is that I too had overheating issues after putting my 289 into my Ranchero. Not blowing it's stack, but I never let it get that far before getting it to move down again. Mostly idle stuff in traffic. What I found was that my mix of antifreeze was too strong in the antifreeze direction. The ideal mix is 50/50, but really water has the best thermal transfer rate - far better than antifreeze does. I was probably at a 75/25 rate. I went to a 25/75 rate (antifreeze/water) and my engine runs pretty cool now - though with the new motor and .060 bore it's gonna run hot for a while I feel. It's still good enough to minus 30, which in Seattle should be just fine.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"