Thread: Power Rack and Pinion Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I got a chance to see Pat's new set-up after the swap meet. Very nice! It looks like a really well made unit and should be a clean install.

In other words...sweeeeeet!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

More Progress

The old column is out. That came out easily from inside.

The steering box is another matter. I was able to remove it but is was a bit of a chore. had to pullthe drivers header, the belly bar, and jack up the left side of the engine. In the end, I cut the steering shaft short to make it come out easier. Sometimes, after removing a lot of parts, I wonder. What is the very first part attached to a bear chassis? I don't know if it's the steering box but is close to the top of the list.

I cleaned up the frame rails and bolded the new rack in. It looks good. I had to remove the belly bar as the new rack doesn't fit with itin place - bummer. It looks like there might be an issue with oil pan clearance. This was mensioned in the instructions. I will probably add some 1/8 - 1/4" spacers to the engine mounts.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Here is a photo of the progress.

Patrick Brown

Patrick,, it looks like it's comming along well, will it clear a stock pan? or is yours the same as stock...how close to the starter does it come? sure hope it's better than the old box..but then, anything should be better than the old box...john h

will it clear a stock pan? or is yours the same as stock
    It looks to be just touching. I have a Milodon pan that is a stock style unit. It looks like it needs to be cleaned. The instructions mention having to shim the engine up a bit in some applications. I picked up some grade eight washers this morning. I try to add them between the frame mounts and the intermediate mount and see what happens. I don't think it needs much.

...how close to the starter does it come?
    It's close to the starter but doesn't touch. There is still room for the transmission coolant line to make it through.
    Patrick Brown

So how's it going ? patrick..by the way did you sell the R&P you had up at the swap? if not I will take it off your hands,,,for $$ ? thanks ....john h

So how's it going ?
    I did some work tonight. I'm sorting out the column stuff now. I still need to shim up the engine a bit.

..by the way did you sell the R&P you had up at the swap? if not I will take it off your hands,,,for $$ ?
    It didn't sell on Saturday. I suspect that is didn't sell Sunday either. It's yours for $40.
    Patrick Brown