Thread: Freddie's Transplant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    No fair I wanna play

I so need to move.. I do need a bigger garage.. hmm don't think thats a good enough reason to move though..

Nathan

Hey gary sounds like fun, all you need now is a turbocharger, then the roll bar comes next..where can I find info on the alum. head that you spoke about? I would like to check it out....thanks...john h

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    where can I find info on the alum. head that you spoke about? I would like to check it out.
    http://www.classicinlines.com/
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

..where can I find info on the alum. head that you spoke about?
    Yeah, where Pat said.

I had started following the Ford Six Performance Forum http://fordsix.com/forum/, sporadically, even before I had acquired a Falcon. On that forum there was this guy who was talking about maybe designing an aluminum head for the little Falcon six. At the time I thought he was nuts and he really had no idea what it would take to do! Well, many years later, that nutty guy is now Classic Inlines! I'm so grateful he took the risk and developed the head that I just HAD to buy one!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Well I think it's kinda cool to have a alum. head on a six, but it sure seems like quite an expense and a lot of work to run the 1/4 mile in 15.** or so seconds. my PT has a 4cyl, turbo, automatic and tips the scale at 3470# alot more than a falcon and still runs in the mid 14's....not sure why they couldn't get it alot lower than that....good luck...john h

A turbo I-6 running 15lbs of boost through a 2 barrel carb. can run a nasty 1/4 in the low tens..

So the aluminum head with the same turbo would probably run quicker..

I say Turbo it!!!

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Twin tandem turbos would be cool. That's when two turbos are inline where one feeds the other. That allows the turbos to be a bit smaller and each tuned to a different RPM band. That plus EFI a two stages of NOS would be a lot of fun .
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Whoa!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    I say Turbo it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Twin tandem turbos would be cool. That's when two turbos are inline where one feeds the other. That allows the turbos to be a bit smaller and each tuned to a different RPM band. That plus EFI a two stages of NOS would be a lot of fun .
    Whoa, guys!
    Can't afford that kinda stuff!! As I said... head, cam, carb and headers. In my youth I had a '65 "Power Pack" Dart: 273, 4-bbl, 10.5:1, hot factory cam. It ran mid-15's on a cold night. If I can achieve similar performance, I would be delighted!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary, I thought you guys said you ran it on a stand to brake in the cam..how did it run then? which carb was on it? then you said it ran better with the junk yard holley that came off carters shelf.. won't that work? I think you need to check the cam [ degree it in and or check it..] even the best can get things off a tooth....john h

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Pull the carb spacer out. Maybe it is warped.
    Hmm... Haven't tried that. Seems like it's seated nicely on both gaskets, though.

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    I hold a small hose up to my ear and move the other end around areas where there is a possibility for leaks. You will hear it whistle like crazy.
    Did that too...

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    When I first installed my Weber carb, the slotted holes in the gasket that came with the adapter made a HUGE leak (4 huge leaks actually) so check around every bolt or any type of connection that may leak. Bend hoses around to make sure they're not cracked or if new they may have accidentally been torn or cut. Don't forget the PCV valve. Make sure it rattles when you shake it.
    Did all that too.

I think you need to check the cam [ degree it in and or check it..] even the best can get things off a tooth....john h
    Yeah, I think I need to check the cam, too. I want to get Carter's help with that.

I'm working on a complete "chronology" of everything that's been done since I got her home. It's going to be pretty big, so I'll probably post it on my blog.

Stay tuned...

I have not checked for TDC. I don't believe it would be possible for the timing chain to be off. However, it could be possible for the harmonic balancer to have spun. It's new, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't bad!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary-

The thing that keeps going through my head is this: If I built that engine for you and it was pretty much complete when I delivered it, I'd be all over trying to help you figure out why the engine I built runs like it's running. I don't recall if it was run on the rack (have not reread this entire thread), but that would be a key to knowing when things went south.

I'm not saying Carter hasn't been helping, either, because I know he has been, but I think it may be time to get it over to his place, leaving it there as long as needed, so he can figure out why the engine he built isn't running right. From what I saw of his place, he's certainly got the tools to dig into it.

Just my 2 cents.

You'd be welcome to bring it over here and leave it too, but I'm running on negative time to work on things right now - so it might be here a long time.

If you need to tow it - you're welcome to use the club hauler.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"