Thread: New Here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seatbelts

I added 3 point retractables to the front and just lap belts to the back of my 60 Comet. There was no sign that the car was ever designed to have any sort of seatbelts, even as an option, but it also wasn't too terribly difficult to add them. My main motivation for adding belts was that I knew the car would be driven by my daughter.
    1960 Comet
    1967 Cougar XR7
    www.lattemom.typepad.com/cougar

Yeah... I wear seatbelts and I vote.

I would feel much safer with 3-point belt in my wagon, but I've not had much time to try and rig them in. I've got the interior out at the moment, so now might be the time to look into this option. But yes, at the very least, add some lap belts -- front and rear. It's as easy as drilling holes and installing them with... yes, really big washers. It's ideal to scout underneath the car in the area you would install these and find the area that is two layers of sheetmetal -- if it's got two layers. I'm pretty sure all our cars had seatbelts as an option an Ford strengthened the floor where needed. I've not had a pre-65 car in about 30 years, so I may be wrong about a 61. Really big washers help because it's hard to pull really big washers through the floor.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Macs antique auto parts had the aviator style seat belts listed in their newest catelog for $23 a piece which by far is the cheapest I've seen them..
    They even offer a longer size for those who may need it..

Nathan

Hi Roger, please take really good notes if you put three point in your rear seats. When I find a roundbody 2-door wagon, that is first on my list.

Jeff... I'd almost think the rear would be far easier than the fronts, since there's not much to bolt to between the front and rear on my wagon. I could easily think of places behind the rear seat to bolt things to. I'll have to go to the Pull-a-Part and see what options I have.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    Macs antique auto parts had the aviator style seat belts listed in their newest catelog for $23 a piece which by far is the cheapest I've seen them..
    They even offer a longer size for those who may need it..

Nathan
    Where do you bolt the aviation style? To the floor behind the seat? I've never really looked at those much before.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"