Thread: A/C system advice -- '63 Futura Convertible...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Welcome Neal. The only really established modern aftermarket AC mfr. is Vintage Air. Have you looked into their stuff? I'd assume, if they have nothing listed for a Falcon, they might for a 64-66 Mustang, which would be pert-near the same.

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    I've seen kits for the 64/65 Falcon. I think the only part that wouldn't work would be the controls. I suspect the compressor, evap, condenser, etc would all fit. Maybe give them a call and see what they say.

https://www.vintageair.com/surefit/c...5&model=Falcon
    Thanks, for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

I had been aware of vintage air as company, but for some reason, I did not think they had a kit. I called earlier in the week and one "Jason" offered to help me build a kit, piecemeal, but needs more info on my rig. I'll need to talk to him again soon. I suppose that I can base my custom 'kit' off of that list. It would get me to the point where I was getting "hit" with a/c from both sides. Though at least one forum post said that the Vintage A/C rectangular vents are not very good and to go with round units. I suppose, if I could modify where the stereo reciever is mounted, that system "as is" might work.

"Old Air Products" also offers a system at 1/3 the price, but they were not very helpful on the phone. Nostaligic A/C has a system as well, priced in the middle. It could have been them that were most unhelpful, I'll try and look through my notes. A rod builder shop suggested I look to Classic Auto Air who seem to offer a kit that blends with our current HV non-ac system or one that works stand alone, but they do not list "1963" Falcons.

But, if as far as you guys know, everyone uses Vintage Air components, then perhaps I should stick with them. I'd have to enlist some help with this sort of install and restoration shops have quoted some eye popping estimates with one shop suggesting I should count on spending about $6000 to $7000! I'll wilt in the desert heat before paying that much. Most restoration, building blogs suggested that a full system installed could be contracted for about $900 to $1600. That seems like a pipe dream at this point.

Nonetheless, I am quite confused at this point, but hopefully the path forward will become more clear with continued research,

Thanks for all the suggestions,
    Neal

Edit: sorry, I cant seem to get my links to work. Perhaps I am too new a member. I'll have a look with the bb code editor and see what I can figure out.

---
    Last edited by falconero; February 13th, 2022 at 02:29 AM.