Thread: 64 Falcon Futura Mufflers.

64 Falcon Futura Mufflers.

I recently had a dual exhaust system installed with Flowmaster 40 series #42441 mufflers. I really do not like the sound. I want a more aggressive sound. I would appreciate any and all suggestions that you have to offer on different mufflers. It is so difficult when you cant hear them BEFORE installing.

I know exactly what you are going through. When I built my 64 I was vacillating back and forth on different mufflers. The way it worked for me was listening to different cars that I liked the sound of and even followed some of the guys to a stop and asked what they had. BUT, I finally decided on my exhaust when a Falcon cab pickup drove into the lot at the Bellevue Ford show. When he came in, it sounded almost like open headers, but then got quieter to a very good sounding rumble. He had what were the first electric cutouts that I had seen/heard. That is what I went with. Just closed them when I wanted quieter or when a cop was close. I used Dynaflow mufflers, but exhaust diameter, backflow issues, crossovers etc have a lot to do with sound and performance.
    I quickly decided against the flowmasters after I heard them on a couple of mustangs. My brother has installed several different systems and one is what I will install on the new 63 gasser I am building, but they are loud. Hope you find what you want. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Here is a Dynomax YouTube video that covers their models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORGyLVmFqmY

It's a process.

I've had a number of folks ask me what mufflers I run... and it's not been on the road very many times, unfortunately, but I have installed Borla mufflers on my 347 V8 Ranchero and on a healthy 200 6. Great mellow tone when just cruising, but throaty when you give it all the onions.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"