Thread: 4-Lug 8 Inch Rear End

4-Lug 8 Inch Rear End

I am looking specifically for the narrow 4-lug from the 71/72 Maverick/Comet. Will pay what it’s worth.

If you come across one anywhere within WA or OR I am very interested. Junkyard or Craigslist, it doesn't matter, but I am looking for a complete assembly.
    Last edited by Millennial Falcon; May 15th, 2021 at 06:15 AM.
    Matt
    '63 Falcon Futura Convertible 170ci Special C4 Auto
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

Still looking.

I have found a meager handful but all too far away to pay for shipping and risk receiving an unusable part.

Thank you to anyone that might help me!
    Matt
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

Keep you peepers peeping for a mid-70's 6-cyl Maverick/Comet. That's where you usually find them.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

The more i think about this part the more i convince myself to skip it.

The Maverick rear end will still be 1/2" wider overall than the stock rear end. I don't think my Falcon can take that, I'm already not a fan of the spacing between the tires and rear fenders.

I'm thinking a 9" from the 60's would work better and be easier to find. I can have it shortened up to fit the new wheels perfectly, and i can get them drilled 4 lug when i order the axles. I don't know what i would do about the drum brakes in back though, that's where I'm stuck.
    Matt

Still Looking

Did more research into the drum situation with the custom 9 inch route and it is likely not workable. There are no drums aside from those found on the Maverick 8 inch 4-lug rear end that have the correct lug pattern. I contacted a few shops that offer 9 inch drum kits in optional lug patterns to see if they can help, still waiting to hear back.

I'm still trying to avoid backtracking on previous purchases. Guess we'll see how that turns out!

I'm curious what you guys think about another route I've thought of. Can I start hunting for the smaller rear end from the 71 era Maverick and make that work? I think it's a 7.25 and would also be 56.5" wide.
    Last edited by Millennial Falcon; January 27th, 2024 at 01:31 PM.
    Matt

Considering you are still running the 170 (according to your salutation) unless the 7.25" is howling or failing in some other way - which can be hard to repair due to the woeful availability of parts for it - you should just run it or collect a few more of them to act as a stock-pile to replace them as they fail, or to build the best of a few. I see more of those offered for free to nothing than any other rear-end out there.

There are a few of us who have installed the 4-lug 8" without any modification, but that 1/4" on each side if it were to be a problem could be assuaged by rolling or trimming the rear flare to take the edge away.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"