Thread: New Falcon in the house

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The project has started!

Well after enjoying the car last spring and summer I have begun the winter rebuild. I spent quite a bit of time planning and deciding what I want to do, its still a bit of a moving target, but I have started the first step which is the rear suspension and axel. Let's hope I can get it back on the road by next spring.

I originally planned to use the TCI 4 link system but turns out it doesn't really work with convertibles. There is a slight difference in the trunk pan and the floor, as it turns up behind the back seat to accommodate the roof when retracted. As I am finding out, there are a number of subtle differences with the convertible that does not allow certain parts and mods to fit. I ended up going with the Ride Tech rear 4 link and so far, so good. The main cradle fits in the frame great.

I have removed everything from the rear end including the drive line and am currently removing the old undercoating. I have never seen undercoating this thick on a car and I have to basically unbury any nuts or bolts to get at them. I am hoping to not find any significant rust and haven't yet. Heat gun and a scraper along with some mineral spirits has been the best method so far but it's a slow process.

The front bolts of the leaf springs were a major PITA. I don't think they have ever been touched since the car was built. I finally got one to turn but it was basically welded to the bushing and just spinning the whole thing inside the rubber, finally decided to cut them. Sawzall didn't work, no room for the blade, and my 4 1/2" angle grinder would not fit in the small space so I then used an arbor to mount the cut off wheel to my drill. The drill spins too fast though and would basically spin out the center of the wheel.

So I bought a 6" cutoff wheel and put it on the grinder to get more reach and it did the trick in just a couple of minutes. Kind of sketchy to hold the grinder with that big wheel and fortunately had my gloves on ��.

Now anyone know what to do with the old springs? They are up for grabs if anyone wants them.

I will keep adding to this thread as I go but it may be slow, I only have weekends and some of those are not always available.
    Not sure if I should start a new thread or if mods want to move this to a more appropriate category but just let me know.
    PXL_20211031_003922409.jpgPXL_20211107_195830923.jpgPXL_20211107_200619623.jpgPXL_20211107_200856622.jpg
    Last edited by Obie 250; November 12th, 2021 at 06:10 PM.

Doug

'63 Futura Convertible
    C4

Glad your gloves protected you. I know the pain of having to remove all that undercoating. My last Falcon took forever to get it all off. The Falcon I am working on now is a California car and doesn't have the undercoating. Keep it going, and it's looking great. Larry

Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by Obie 250 View Post
    Now anyone know what to do with the old springs? They are up for grabs if anyone wants them.
    Take up knife making.

Looking good! Going to be a fun project to see happen... for you and us. Looking forward to it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"