Thanks... It's a never ending project. I would have gone with electric assist if I wasn't originally trying to retain the column shift automatic. I bought the Borgeson conversion for the early Mustang but had to use a solid couple at the the shaft to box connection... no room for a rag joint so transferred hydraulic noise to steering wheel. Borgeson box is about 2" longer at firewall. Anyway, since I had the Borgeson stuff, I moved the shifter to the floor and used a shortened/modified floor shift column. The damper fits inside the column. Didn't need u-joint but couldn't find a straight couple with correct spline for steering box. Reduces the noise considerably.

P1080429.jpg P1080513.jpg

I'm sure you're familiar with the old, original bias ply manual steering vs the modern radial tire alignment specs. With the P/S I set my "home" alignment to 0.25 deg (-) camber, 3.0 deg (+) caster and about 1/16" (about 0.25 deg (+). If you don't have P/S, I found 1 1/2 to maybe 2 deg (+) caster about the max for decent low speed steering effort... at least for me.

Here's a couple of pics of the floor shift conversion for anyone interested. Also had to change carpet to floor shift style.

P1080499.jpg P1080503.jpg

Also, just got an answer from Robert at the alignment shop... he said I had plenty of room. I'll try and set up an appt. weather permitting and update you on the results.

Fred