Thread: Wheel Alignment 61 Falcon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great info! I just did a bunch of work on mine as well and will be awaiting further feedback on your experience and will contact this place too. I added electric power assisted steering and Shelby/Arning 1" drop and I may need some caster adjustment to help the EPAS return to center. Still have one thing to do before I actually do my initial test of all this work I did, and some non-slick roads, of course.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks... It's a never ending project. I would have gone with electric assist if I wasn't originally trying to retain the column shift automatic. I bought the Borgeson conversion for the early Mustang but had to use a solid couple at the the shaft to box connection... no room for a rag joint so transferred hydraulic noise to steering wheel. Borgeson box is about 2" longer at firewall. Anyway, since I had the Borgeson stuff, I moved the shifter to the floor and used a shortened/modified floor shift column. The damper fits inside the column. Didn't need u-joint but couldn't find a straight couple with correct spline for steering box. Reduces the noise considerably.

P1080429.jpg P1080513.jpg

I'm sure you're familiar with the old, original bias ply manual steering vs the modern radial tire alignment specs. With the P/S I set my "home" alignment to 0.25 deg (-) camber, 3.0 deg (+) caster and about 1/16" (about 0.25 deg (+). If you don't have P/S, I found 1 1/2 to maybe 2 deg (+) caster about the max for decent low speed steering effort... at least for me.

Here's a couple of pics of the floor shift conversion for anyone interested. Also had to change carpet to floor shift style.

P1080499.jpg P1080503.jpg

Also, just got an answer from Robert at the alignment shop... he said I had plenty of room. I'll try and set up an appt. weather permitting and update you on the results.

Fred

Fred Pennington
    '62 Falcon
    289, 4-Spd, 9 in