Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: I have to start somewhere

Glade to hear that it's on it's way. My cousin built a 63 falcon like your. He built it look like a gasser. We put a stock 57 Fairlane 9 inch rearend in it.He put 10 inch wide 15 inch Ansons rims on it . I don't remember the off set.For the front end We took a Econaline van front axle and cut it in the middle and removed some of the axle and then welded it back together.It wasn't the safest set up but it worked . As far as I know that set up worked for over ten years with no problem.He ran L-60-15 tires on the rear and on thr front Ansons narrow rims with very narrow tires.What was even funner than the home made from end was it had a mild 289 with a four barrel carb ,T10 four speed trans and a 4.56 locker gear. It was surprizing how fast it went from light to light. I dought if it went over 85 mph ,but it sure got there in a big hurry. He bought a 62 panal delivery Falcon that had the same set up in the front end,298 ,Auto trans ,9 inch rearend. He got it for his brothers 16 birth day.At the time I had a 64 Futura with a Built 289. ten bolt top cover four speed,and a 9 inch rearend.Falcons run a long way back in my family.GTARoger
    Last edited by gtaroger; March 31st, 2021 at 08:46 PM.

Larry - the anticipation is crushing! Have you found it better or worse than you thought? Inquiring minds and all that...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Sorry, I have a home furnace on the blink and it's taking me away from everything.
    The car is in great shape. There are a few dents, nothing too difficult to fix. The interior, door panels, carpet, headliner, rear seat foam and upholstery are all going to the trash. The back wheel wells will be my biggest job as far as the body goes, but I have a great guru to follow on that. (Roger).
    I would really like to see if anyone here has a 63 Sprint. If so, would you take pictures of the SPRINT badge holes locations from the inside of the trunk. I just need to finally verify if this is a Futura or a Sprint. The previous owner is still leaning to it being the Sprint.
    The instrument panel looks fantastic. Dash is okay too. Bucket seats look good, will need new upholstery. The center console will need to be re-chromed along with all the trim around the interior of the windshield.
    The tires and wheels are 13" along with the hubcaps. I will be selling those. Going to pull the 289 and will take a look at the numbers to see what it is from. The four speed is in the back of the car, not sure of it's condition. Probably won't be using it either, but who knows.
    I will try to get some pictures posted tomorrow. When I said it was a grubby little worm, that is only dirt and junk to clean up. Car is even better than I hoped. Larry

Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Better than expected is wonderful! Congratulations Larry.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Hi Larry,
    I'm new to the forum and noticed your request for a Sprint pattern on the rear panel. I have a 1963.5 Sprint. Attached is the pattern of holes for the letters "FALCON" on the inside of the trunk. I have attached a drawing of those pins as depicted from the inside of the trunk. I hope this helps determine which you have, a FUTURA or a Sprint (FALCON).

Regards,
    John

IMG_0751.jpg

Congrats! Glad to hear it there and in great shape. GTARoger

John, thank you so much for going to the trouble of getting these. I didn't say what I needed very well and I apologize. The holes I need are the ones that have SPRINT. Either this one will have FUTURA or the SPRINT lettering. Does that make sense? Thanks again I appreciate it. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry,
    If your Falcon is a Sprint, it will have the letters on the panel below the trunk lid spell "FALCON". If it is a Futura, the letters will spell "FUTURA". The only exterior emblems that spell out Sprint are on both front fenders and on both B-pillars.

John

John, you are absolutely correct. I apologize again. AGE?? I even posted here on this post about that specific way to check on the Sprint. Thanks very much for the picture, I am going out to check on it this evening. Also, went to your post and viewed your Sprint. Beautiful car and glad you are on our Forum. Thanks again and sorry for being a dunce. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I checked the holes in the rear of my Falcon against the picture that John sent from his Sprint. The holes do not match so I have a Futura. Good, now I can start cutting stuff apart for the gasser front end. Going to pull the 289 out tomorrow, hopefully. Also, checking the trim that came with the car and it looks like I am missing one piece that goes around the rear window along the top L/H side. Most of the trim is in decent shape, a lot better than my 64 was. The grill is in fantastic shape. Very few minor dings. I am attaching a couple of pics and you can see how bad the rear wheel well work was. Sure nice to be working on something. Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Saw the pictures, It's for real.

Been a busy week. Got our furnace repaired. Worked on the car a little. Got the radiator and other odds and end removed. Just got tired of looking for tools. I have my garage that is attached to the house with all my tools. Now the Falcon is in my newer garage in the back. So, I had to get tools back there more available. NOW, most of these tools I got when I bought a storage locker which had thousands of dollars of new tools. So, here is a picture of what I did over the weekend. Now I can find something without running back and forth.
    Next item of business is to remove the engine and then the front suspension. Which brings up a question. Is there anyone that would want the suspension parts? Also will be getting rid of the 289 in the car. Another question for another day is that I found out one piece of trim along the back window is missing. It is the straight piece that runs from the upper middle of the window to the left hand upper corner. Maybe the junk yard? Won't need it soon for sure. More to come. Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I think that looks so cool.
    If i get a new garage im planning something similar with my shoptools.

I got tired of looking for tools. At Boeing we borrowed something called 5S which we called Sorting, Sweeping, Standardizing, Simplifying and Self Discipline. But one specific part of that was really needed to eliminate tools being left inside the airplane which created dangerous issues. So we built tool kits so when the work was done you could visually check to see if all the tools were returned.
    NOW for me, I have a son and grandsons who were always borrowing my tools and never returned them. So, I built tool boards so I could see instantly if all the tools were returned.
    It helps in locating tools and when I am done working, I check to see if I put everything back.
    So, getting some work done. Hood is off, header bolts removed, brake master cylinder removed, and a few other small items. Header bolts were a royal pain. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I guess I am stumped. Everything that I have seen and heard from gasser owners tell me to start the build with the wheels and tires that I am going to have on the car. BUT, they say have the rear end installed also.
    So here is my problem. I am going with a 4 link suspension and a 9" housing. So, how do I get the correct wheels and tires when I don't know what will fit with the rear end? Need to know the back spacing on wheels, width of tires and height.
    Guess when I get those I sit the tires/wheel in the wheel wells and measure the distance between the wheels? Start there?
    Any of you racers out there or if you have worked through this issue, let me know. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker