Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to start somewhere

I just clicked on it after clearing my cache. Maybe just copy and paste the link?

http://westcoastfalcons.com/identify...falcon-sprint/
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I could open it this time. I have seen that article and according to everything I have found there is really only one definitive way to verify a Sprint from a Futura. The holes for the lettering on the trunk are different and the Futura emblems will not fit the holes of the Sprint and vice versa. The other emblems are easily removed and or faked I guess including the steering wheel and tach. The reason the owner thinks this one is a Sprint is linked to the dash trim just below the glove box. It says Sprint. The Bucket seats, console, V8 and 4 speed are other signifiers, but who knows. I guess when it gets here I will have to check the trunk holes, (if there) and see what I find. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I think the trunk holes are a bigger tell than any. Fenders can be changed in 60 years. Glove box too. A tail panel, probably not. For whatever reason all the images you sent me are all now the same image. My phone and Gmail is weird though, so maybe I gotta look in my computer. I recall not seeing either Futura or Falcon letters in the images you sent. Hopefully the weather clears and they get it on the road soon to you. Fingers crossed!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I enlarged the trunk picture and the emblems are gone, but he holes are still there. That may give me some kind of evidence. We'll see soon I hope. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Talked to the seller today. He has checked for me the holes in the trunk in relation to another car that it for sure a Sprint. The holes in my car do not match the hole locations in the Sprint. So it sounds like I have the definitive proof that this car I bought is indeed a Futura so I am intending to go ahead with the Gasser build. That information makes it easier for me to go with my plans. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I know this is awfully early to think about this, BUT. In building a gasser one of the issues is getting a set of headers to go through the fender well area. I have contacted gasser websites asking if anyone makes them and all of them tell me to make my own. I was given a link to a youtube video that is very interesting and looks like fun. You need a TIG welder, which I do not possess, but, guess I could get one. Hopefully I can put that link on here for perusal and input. If you have ever welded stainless headers please let me know. Larry
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBmjU83kaow
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I've TIG welded stainless, but not headers. TIG is fun, but also touchy. Touch the tungsten to the metal and off the grinder you go to reshape the tip. It's like gas welding, but using tungsten instead of gas. I've always wanted a TIG, but if you don't get a cooled torch they get hot as heck and have a very short duty cycle. That option has always pushed them out of my budget.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I jointed the NW gassers group and got some good input. The most interesting was that getting someone to build a set of headers would cost well over $2000. He then stated something similar to you Roger. That buying a tig welder is expensive and not used as much as others like Mig. He also told me to buy the tubing, cut it to fit my application. Tack weld it with my welder then take the pipes to a good welder to finish. He did his and the cost was less than buying a tig welder. NOT sure what direction I will take, but that may be the best advice. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

The thing to do is buy a set of stainless headers for a small block (if that's the block you're going to use... I remember a 351W block stroked 427?) and then modify them. That way you get the lions share already welded.

Had there not been such disaster here after this last rain/wind storm on Monday and Tuesday I'd have hit you up for that trip to Bremerton, but I've been two days, nearly, cutting branches and then rebuilding my ghetto garage housing my pickup. It got blown over and bent a bunch of the poles. Got those pulled and straightened up and it's all back to normal now, but just in time, I suspect for another round of rain.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"