Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: I have to start somewhere

Are you planning to mini-tub the rear wheel wells? If so, that might be a good place to start measurements (once they're installed). It would help determine axle width, wheel offset & possibly 4-link attachment points.
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

Larry,

I think the process might be: 1) Get cart, 2) Get horse, 3) put cart before horse. Or is it the other way around? I don't know.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

But in all seriousnesses

I think you have to (as said) determine what your wheel/tire combo will be and if you're doing the flare opening (like my Ranchero) how much wheel/tire combo do you want poking out the side. Wheel offset, I think, should be neutral (close to center) on wide rim/tire setups to minimize lever-arm stresses on the axles and bearings. Just my engineering mind thinking this, but others may say it don't matter. Obviously if you were at a swap meet - remember those? - and found a set of wheels and tires... you'd work around those. Make 'em work. And, if you had a rear-end and didn't want to cut it, you'd work around that. Gassers of old were "use what you got" and go race the thing.

Go watch a few episodes of Full Custom Garage with Ian Roussel and watch how he works. He just doesn't think about it, just does. Sort of reminds me of me is a way. No problems, only solutions.

And we need to make that field trip soon before they crush those Falcons over on the other side of the pond.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I really would like to have your mental acuity in attacking these problems. BUT, I seem to have been skipped on that part of my brain. I will be purchasing the 15X8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing. Along with 275 60R 15 X 28" tall tires. Then. place them in the wheel wells measuring the distance between the wheels for housing dimensions.
    That will show me how far the wheels interfere with the inner wells for tubbing and/or stick out from the outer wheel wells to determine if I need to cutout the wheel wells or repair the outer skins.
    Then I purchase a 9" housing from someone and a 4 link suspension kit. All this will hopefully show me if I need a narrowed rear end.
    Sounds like a plan? Sorry, I have to see this before I can do this.
    So, lets go buy some fenders Roger!!!!! I wonder if I should cutout the rear panels in case I decide to mini-tub and restore the wheel well cutouts that I have?
    Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Can I be of any help?

I live in Bremerton and can take pictures of stuff!
    I'm not real knowledgeable on all things Falcon, but I am physically here.

This is about the junkyard discussed in December, not sure if you guys ever made it.
    Last edited by Millennial Falcon; May 5th, 2021 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Matt
    '63 Falcon Futura Convertible 170ci Special C4 Auto
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

It was. Larry and I were going to make a day of it. I'm still game Larry. Twisted my ankle a week ago and have been hop-along-casualty the past few days, but as soon as I can stand on my own, so to speak, let's make the trip. Millennium, if you're over there, perhaps you can verify they still have some Falcons to see.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Hope you are feeling better Roger. Let's go get those fenders. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Thanks Larry. It's been a slower than I'm used to recovery, but today I spent 3 hours tinkering in the garage and survived. Haven't even been out of the house for 7 days, so that's nice. Maybe we can go next week! Check your schedule.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"