Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: '62 Falcon Refresh

No worries. You had the right to point out what you saw. I've looked at the thing quite closely before and can see why it's been negated in so many rebuilds (from reputable rebuilders). I followed their lead based upon my own study of these things. I suspect it was similar to the 2100 and 4100 which originally had open vents and due to EPA regulations had to have these vents "plugged" while at idle.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Was not worried about the vent rod, since he said he was gonna plug it, which was quite common. So either way on that for me doesn’t matter. However while doing some research I found not only is the rod reproduced but champion carbs remake the lever.

I remember Champion now that I've been back to look again. I thought then what I thought today - 'they want a lot of money for their (expiative).' All I can say (from casual observation) is the carburetor you're getting looks way better than the example they are using as something they sell; i.e., their manual choke 1100. Problem is that there are now China copies of the Autolite 1100 and now folks expect rebuilt originals to sell that cheaply. Shoot, Champion will charge you more than the cost of a China carb... just as a core charge! Yikes!

Anyway, not sure I'm gonna spend $50 to add a vent to these cores if/when I get to building them. I might get 3 rods from Mike's ($5 cheaper each than Champion) to match the levers I have, but the others will get plugged if I build them at all.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    I remember Champion now that I've been back to look again. I thought then what I thought today - 'they want a lot of money for their (expiative).' All I can say (from casual observation) is the carburetor you're getting looks way better than the example they are using as something they sell; i.e., their manual choke 1100. Problem is that there are now China copies of the Autolite 1100 and now folks expect rebuilt originals to sell that cheaply. Shoot, Champion will charge you more than the cost of a China carb... just as a core charge! Yikes!

Anyway, not sure I'm gonna spend $50 to add a vent to these cores if/when I get to building them. I might get 3 rods from Mike's ($5 cheaper each than Champion) to match the levers I have, but the others will get plugged if I build them at all.
    Either way is fine for me. Sounds like ti will work way and I trust your prior knowledge. Can't wait to get the carb and can't thank you enough for all your help!!

Busy day. New tires arrived! And we greased the steering box. New carb is on the way! Excited to see progress!

It's still poopy rain up here for a while. Staying warm in the garage for a couple more months.

Be sure to show off your new things... or cuss me out if the carb pukes.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    It's still poopy rain up here for a while. Staying warm in the garage for a couple more months.

Be sure to show off your new things... or cuss me out if the carb pukes.
    here are the tires. I will get mounted on Monday.

and if the carb pukes I will cry.

FE860DF8-F7BB-4F75-BA2A-5793B08E6C6F.jpg

Nice, looks like maxxis tyres.
    What size?
    I've got these waiting for my rim redo.IMG-20210111-WA0000.jpg

Switching to 185/90R13's
    Last edited by Falcongek; January 31st, 2021 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Falcongek View Post
    Nice, looks like maxxis tyres.
    What size?
    I've got these waiting for my rim redo.IMG-20210111-WA0000.jpg

Switching to 185/90R13's
    185/80r13. Why you going to 90? And yes they are maxxis

whoopsie typo, they're 80's

New tires! Looks good. Rpm is better. But Speedo is still like 5mph off. Do I need to change the speedo gear, or just live with it?598FB9F1-EF05-484E-A813-74CF0ACA8F47.jpeg

Looking good! Carb should be in town now according to tracking it this morning.

5 MPH off may get closer with a one tooth different than current, more or less. If 5MPH fast, then get a gear with one more tooth to slow it down. If slow, a gear with one less tooth to speed it up. You need to pull the speedo cable from the transmission and count how many teeth it currently has, and if it twists left or twists right.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"