Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '62 Falcon Refresh

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Like black engines. Smart move. What are you using for the engine bay. I found Rustoleum 7777 Satin Black is a very good paint, cheap, and durable. Close to original... though most pre-64 Falcons had body color under the hood. I like the satin black.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Like black engines. Smart move. What are you using for the engine bay. I found Rustoleum 7777 Satin Black is a very good paint, cheap, and durable. Close to original... though most pre-64 Falcons had body color under the hood. I like the satin black.
    Roger, this is a late 62, and was painted black from the factory. I am pulling from my Mustang restoration bag. The paint for the engine bay is krylon 1613. It WAS the go to for years on mustangs, but then they changed the formula. HOWEVER it was discovered they still made the original in their industrial line, so that is what I used. (Note the photo above is black primer). Just the right sheen.

I used to use Krylon a lot; for years, but found it wasn't all that durable. I then stumbled onto the 7777 Rustoleum, which has never needed a primer (just clean surfaces) and is durable as heck. Seems, I found, if the paint took forever to dry it was a more durable finish than anything I tried claiming fast dry. Not sure if the 1613 was their fast-dry semi-gloss black I used back then, but I painted my entire Ranchero in 7777 satin black and other than some scuff marks from sitting under a tarp for a couple years (waiting for my garage to be built) it's held up really well.

Just putting this out as my personal observation.

I'll have to adjust my knowledge on under hood paint. I thought '62's had body color. Live and learn.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Any tips on valve adjustment on the 144ci? Never done it before...

More than likely solid lifters, so you have to get a cold adjustment done first to start it; basically rotating the motor to where both valve on one cylinder is at top dead center compression stroke and adjust the valve to a couple thousands of the hot setting (larger gap by a couple thou). Then once started you adjust them once the engine is at temp to the specification.

And for what it's worth... there are more people here than me and I have no idea why I'm the only one replying... other than to say I'm the one who seems to be the one replying the most, historically.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post

And for what it's worth... there are more people here than me and I have no idea why I'm the only one replying... other than to say I'm the one who seems to be the one replying the most, historically.
    Just not an interesting thread for most... oh well.

I don't believe that's the case. It's been a weird year and some of us have taken the time at home and done work on projects - my Ranchero is only one of about 20 fairly big projects I've worked on this year - and some have been focusing on just surviving; searching for toilet paper, etc., etc. Some have focused their attention towards other more active social media platforms; like, Facebook, etc. to get those "likes." I used to only have time for this forum, but now I'm posting in multiple places. Some just no longer have their cars anymore; those who used to be very active here.

Some just say, "That's a question for Roger..."
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"