Thread: 63 Futura 'Vert, It Begins With Many Questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well this is embarrassing. Time to give an update on the project I quit on.

Spent many days rereading the inline six book by Cox and Mauer, poring over the old info posts by Classic Inlines, and using online calculators of various kinds. I've gone deep into the weeds with every forum post related to my endeavors and come away far more knowledgeable. I've shopped for and located all the things I hadn't thought of before. I feel ready, but my trigger finger keeps shaking anyway.

The 170 will be replaced with a rebuilt 200 and C4 from a 68 mustang using an '80 200 large log head, all three already in hand and on stand. The head will be milled to get the combustion chambers to 52cc after I match the chambers and clean up the ports and casting as much as possible. All of this hinges on a good magnaflux that I should have done soon.

I have plans to add oversized exhaust valves to the list if I can find the 144ci intake valves. I haven't been looking long, so hopefully they show up soon.

Cam will be the Clay Smith 256/256 110 coupled with the stock 1:1.52 rocker arms. This should be a nice low rpm power band and comfortable ride on the highway with a 2.89 thereabouts rear end. You can’t have everything with your set up and that’s as close as I can come to making it a reasonably good driver and just a touch fun.

Block will be magnafluxed also, but less worried about that one. If it passes and isn't bored over 0.060" already I should be good to go for the zero decking, balancing, new flat top pistons, and ARP fasteners.

I have a gold Holley Sniper 1100 unit with the matching hyperspark distributor, (blue finish, if you care) ignition box, and fuel tank with pump ready to go.

I plan to buy the double timing chain assembly from V.I. Even though the things I read about it make me nervous. Hoping I can make it work.

I am also buying the Scott Drake dual outlet header and hoping the RobbMc 3001 mini starter can allow a good fit if it causes trouble. It should be an enlightening experience. Install with stage 8 locking bolts planned.

I will use the Champion EC251-6 aluminum radiator with a recovery tank. Seems like a good solution for avoiding an electric fan and improving cooling. This will be coupled with a high flow water pump.

Because I am still only human I picked out a few goodies like billet thermostat housing, billet water pump pulley, a polished Powermaster retro 1G 75 amp alternator, and a mustang Sprint 200 air cleaner remake. The engine will be finished in the correct Ford blue with the original valve cover in blue also and the raised lettering stenciled in gold. I'm trying to come up with another hit of gold but I just can't decide. Anyone else with a flair for the sorta flashy?

I tell myself I am waiting to pull the trigger when the head passes magnaflux. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by Millennial Falcon; January 27th, 2024 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Almost forgot the cam!
    Matt
    '63 Falcon Futura Convertible 170ci Special C4 Auto
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo