Thread: 63 Futura 'Vert, It Begins With Many Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That's a big list when you're having to replace everything, but other than shopping around to maybe get the best prices - you gotta do what you gotta do. Been there done that.

As for the questionable things, I've got aftermarket Monte Carlo bar as well as export braces (shock tower braces) on mine and the underbelly bar. Stiffened it up well since I don't have torque boxes, which I "think" 63 hardtops and convertibles got whether a 6 or V8 was installed. Also installed subframe connectors while I was at it. Not sure how the convertible underbody accommodates those. I know you're supposed to have a strength plate between the left and right rear frame rails due to a lack of roof (keeps the car from folding in the middle), but I think it's clear from front to rear outboard of these for subframe connectors.

You can replace bushings and ball joints, but if you get the pricier ones, they're pretty good. I got a set of upper and lower in a massive "selling all my Falcon parts" purchase I did on Craigslist when I was building the Ranchero, but I had to replace them when the rubber in all of the ball joints split out in short order. Best guess is they had been sitting around a long time and the rubber rotted. I bought my new set from National Parts Depot for a 65 Mustang, since everything is the same except the center-link - and Mustang vendors pricing is much better than Falcon parts vendors for the same parts... usually. Far more competition. At the time I did, I also replaced the spring perches with a higher-end version that wasn't the roller bearing type, but wasn't the fixed position type that are most common. One of the most common causes of the "Ford squeak" comes from the spring perch.

A club member out there (shows up every other year or so...) had some adjustable struts he was trying to sell. Not sure why he removed them at this point. Have not looked at the adjustable upper control arms, but will just to keep myself aware.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 26th, 2020 at 09:30 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"