Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 63 Futura 'Vert, It Begins With Many Questions

Roger and Jeff, thank you for sharing with me. Even the small stories and bits of info go a long way.

Also, I’m sure I am being a bit too dramatic. Everyone I work with has found it pretty funny watching me fret over every detail, and pretty annoying when all I talk about is engines. I have been a mechanic and outside machinist for 18 years now.

I was my shops lead low pressure steam valve mechanic and later became the shop expert on low and high pressure valve tooling. I got there by being constantly unsure that I knew everything and promptly diving back into drawings and manuals to satisfy my lingering doubts before I could ever turn a wrench.

I’m almost ready, just a little more studying and I should have my final numbers for the build on the engine and I will share them here. Also, I have a solution for my rear end that is both satisfying and more than I wanted to pay. But dang it if it’s not just really satisfying.
    Matt
    '63 Falcon Futura Convertible 170ci Special C4 Auto
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

The solution to my rear end is finally coming together save one major snag.

The rear end will be an 8 inch built by Alan at 8and9InchFordRears.com. It will be built with custom width obviously, and most important for me it maintains my bolt pattern.
    The brakes will be the Torino 11 inch provided by QuickPerformance.com and will also be made with my bolt pattern.

My Falcon is also in need of new leaf springs, and GeneralSpringKC.com seems to be a good option for correct convertible springs. I plan to use the 67 Mustang plates that will properly fit the axle housing U-Bolts, but will be 1/2" too wide for the leaf springs. I will make up for this by fabricating saddles from 2" hitch receiver material and welding those to the plates.

This brings me back to a major issue from earlier in this thread, that stupid front bushing specific to the convertible.

It turns out a company called Rare Parts (36129) remade this bushing at one point and I somehow missed it. They are no longer available through any supplier that lists them for sale, so in no way are they an option anymore. I did find the dimensions listed for them though;
    Inside Diameter (in): 1/2 Inch
    Length (in): 2-3/8 Inch
    Outside Diameter (in): 2-1/16 Inch

It is shown as a one-piece common style bushing with an outer sleeve, it does not appear to be the same style of front bushing that I normally see listed for Falcons. I would love to just substitute for another bushing from another vehicle that also had 2" springs, but I cannot find dimensions listed for these and have hit a wall.

I have contacted several companies about custom urethane bushings but have not had any luck.

I thought a while back that my biggest problem would just be the bolt. Ah, the good ol' days.
    Last edited by Millennial Falcon; February 6th, 2024 at 11:15 AM.
    Matt
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

For those following, more solutions have been found and things are moving forward.

The spring plates will be the Mustang 68-70 still, but with holes elongated to allow install on 2" springs and perches. I will cut the ends off the original plates with the 2" hole separation to use like dog bone style washers to keep the Ubolts where they belong and prevent splaying.

The bushing issue has also been solved. I have leaf springs coming from ESPO Springs and Things that I heard about from a YouTube video of a guy changing leafs on his 63 convertible.

Everything but the rear end is ordered, still doing final measurements.

The engine is stripped down and I discovered it has already been bored .030 over which isn’t great. Sourcing the correct pistons for the Tempo is my only option now. Doing a lot of research into cam failure and initial startup for the Sniper unit. I am thinking of setting it up on my running 170 before installing on a fresh motor.
    Matt