Thread: 63 Futura 'Vert, It Begins With Many Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post

What is the rear leaf issue exactly? I've worked on a couple, but not aware the issue here.
    Everywhere i have shopped so far has not had the front shackle to the leaf springs for specifically 63 convertible. Ive searched the issue on several forums and not found much helpful info. My research really is limited to sellers websites unfortunately, but they all seem adamant that the standard shackle will not work for the convertible, and the shackle for the heavy duty springs is not suitable. Also, i say shackle but its really just a bolt, fancy washer, and bushings.

Some leaf spring sellers even show a lower spring rate for the convertible leafs even though they look the same as the 6 leaf heavy duty springs for the ranchero. Hard to see Ford making so many variations of that part but who knows. It has been quite frustrating trying to find answers.

I should finish the Scarebird install and the rear drums this weekend if all goes well. I expect the new plumbing to be a long and painful experience. Should be fun!
    Matt
    '63 Falcon Futura Convertible 170ci Special C4 Auto
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

When I did my convertible it was just that, I fancy shouldered bolt, more fancy washer and a new bush.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Matt,

When you get those bolts out, if you need to replace them and can't find them already made - I have little doubt I could machine you up a pair. I don't think they're hardened since they don't need to be, but if they are, I'll machine them out of something I can harden. So, putting that out there so you can relax a bit on that.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    When I did my convertible it was just that, I fancy shouldered bolt, more fancy washer and a new bush.
    So Jeff, do you think i could get away with buying the standard shackle and having Roger work his magic?
    I guess im asking what exactly needed modification, what parts should i start with and then modify?

As for the rest of the project, the more i look into it i think i will go with Eaton springs despite the cost. i would rather get the spring rate correct so that the shocks match and this all turns out like i expect. Any deviation from stock seems to bring unintended consequences that i wont enjoy much, and would require a more well thought out plan for specific performance gains.

That thought goes out the window of course with the Street or Track front suspension because i am telling myself that the kit will eliminate the re-engineering and decision making on my part. Stay tuned i suppose, it should be good for a laugh if anything!
    Last edited by Millennial Falcon; May 13th, 2021 at 09:09 AM. Reason: typo
    Matt
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

What is the narrowest you can build the 8 inch? Im trying to get an idea of how much clearance i can gain for the rear wheels.

I could also use some recommendations for who to take the rear end to for this. I've noticed that 4-lug axles for the 8 inch don't seem to be available, so i imagine shortening up the rear end will not be easy or cheap. If anyone has experience with this project please let me know how things went.

I am in the market for a 4-lug 8 inch rear end in case anyone spots one!
    Matt

Hi Matt, sadly it was 10 years ago and I don’t remember what the bolt looked like. I was able to purchase it from one of the normal Falcon suppliers.
    I found my 4-lug 8” rear at Pick-n-pull in Lynnwood. I think it is 3/4” wider than the little stock guy but people have had luck installing as is. I need to get it clean and painted for installation later this summer. I plan on swapping the backing plates from my wagon as they allow wider shoes. It is the 2.79:1 ratio.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)