Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Any body know where to get a new gasket that fits the gas cap?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

You'll probably have to make one, Don. You might find a new cap (maybe an aftermarket cap) with a similar size gasket, but some good heavy gasket material and a razor knife should make one.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

My wife ordered the starter this morning. I decided to spring for a new one from Autozone. I’m growing tired of this reman stuff on this and other parts in the past, and all the bad reviews on the online websites selling starters seem to be for the reman’s. Anyway 20% off for going online, but it has to go to my house next week. Plenty of other stuff to work on while I wait.

Roger, on the Pertronix...I’m thinking about just skipping the hassle and time to mess with the points and going right to the pertronix. It seems like we can get this done “virtually” one way or another and seems like the way to go. So...how are you getting that new added 12v wire through the firewall? What are you using for the T connector? Can you send a pic of that?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don, because you want to maintain the pink resistance wire for your coil, you need to make a little male bullet connector on one end, female on the other, wire having a long (probably 18 gauge) wire tee'd into it to feed the Pertronix. I could make you one tomorrow and mail it off to you if you'd like.

You may have a spare hole already in the firewall to sneak this wire through and run it to the distributor. You'll have to poke around and see what you might have. Otherwise a small hole drilled with a grommet could be made in a hidden-ish location.

Hope we sleuthed out the starter problem correctly. Fingers crossed.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"