Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Roger and I will take you up on it. Maybe the internal one you had luck with in the past. Can you bring to our September meeting?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Jeff's muffler

Hello, Don.

Comment: Wow! Your car is clean underneath.

Question: What is the piece of tape on the right side of the gas tank? Is it a heat shield? Where did you get that?

Thanks, Dennis.

Jeffs muffler.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 9th, 2018 at 04:59 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Hi Dennis!
    Sorry to take so long to reply...life has been crazy lately with a funeral and work- I helped sell my employer...but the good news is I should be back home and to the falcon this fall.
    Yes, it’s a heat barrier tape. I’m pretty sure I bought it at Autozone. The original gas tank had an indentation for the muffler but it was around $250 more to buy one with that indentation. So, I went with the cheaper tank only to find out the muffler didn’t fit. So, the muffler is also smaller- and I put the heat tape on there as an added measure.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Got the muffler hangers done today. The picture doesn’t do it justice- makes it look a bit warped, but the guy did a great job. Nice rubber bushings up top and strong enough to hang on- and it’s not going to bump the gas tank any more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Moving home

Got my tickets back home guys...I’m going to have to visit back and forth now and then for the next few month but it sure will be nice to be home.
    Anyone know where to find the summer show schedule??
    It would be nice to tidy up the last few things and show off all the work we did at least once or twice.
    Where is our falcon regional this year?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I'm sure it'll be good to be home. Hopefully we have decent enough weather soon to drive our cars around a bit.

I use this schedule, which is pretty complete:

http://www.cruzinmag.com/calendar.html

We'll have a meeting on March 20 and maybe we can do an early spring cruise somewhere after that. I've not heard anything about a mini this year, but it's probably coming back round to us again... should we decide to.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Wow, that’s a huge list! Any thoughts on the best local shows for mine other than our falcon specific shows?
    Definitely looking forward to a little club cruise to catch up with you guys again...weather permitting of course.
    Last edited by dhbfaster; February 9th, 2019 at 02:24 AM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Well, I couldn’t get the hoses to the fram fuel filter I had, so I put on a new Delco filter with new hose. Ran great, including a trip around the block. So, I decided to drive it to work today. About the time I got to highway 99 it was acting fuel starved. My gage was close to the lower dot (I can’t remember if the lower dot means 1/4 tank or empty...but I was able to get into a gas station and I put 5 gallons in. It started fine...then same problem and it started to get worse...I got turned around and headed for home and barely got it off the main drag. I didn’t find anything loose or obviously wrong. Roger, I tried to call you but I imagine you didn’t recognize my number since it’s been a while.
    I did change the oil last weekend...all that still looks good. The only thing changes other than that was the fuel filter. I did double check and the directional arrow was going the correct direction.
    So..I ended up calling AAA to get me home. Those guys were great.
    I have to say, all of this still beat working. I still want the check so I’m back at work now (obviously working hard). If anyone has any other ideas of what to check let me know. It doesn’t really make sense that this a problem with the fuel filter other than it’s the only thing I know I changed.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don and I chatted today and he's going to look at a few things, like points and voltages. Seems to be squirting fuel via accelerator pump, and the fuel pump is filling up a cup fairly quickly. So hopefully he finds it - otherwise I might visit... masked up.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"