Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Paint it Green!!! I love that old Machine Green color, I'm considering painting my car that color (if I paint it).

Enjoyed the story, good luck on the resto!

So, I told Don he'd have to do the play by play, it is after all, his baby. However, I just can't resist taking a few moments to add some photos of the paint removal process yesterday.

Jeff selected a rear door to start with and held the nozzle quite a way back to soften the media impact just enough to remove the black and reveal the vintage, hand painted signage. We both just stood there looking at it, amazed at the skill of the sign painter, and even now, how nice it looked.

I hadn't read Don's story in it's entirety. Just a few lines and a quick glance at the pictures before heading off to some other task. I took the time to read it all today, and having lost both my grandpa and my dad, can really appreciate what it means to Don and his family.

That said, I thought it appropriate to post a few pics of the car as it sits this morning, stripped back to bare metal, and as a fond farewell, the last moments of the vintage signage.

What a great story Don.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil

A few more pics. Now the real work begins.
    Phil

Anyone know know why the square holes in my bumper are so much bigger than the square shank of the bumper bolts? I'm wondering if the bolts are not correct.
    Or if I buy new bolts...wondering if they will be bigger? I had a heck of a time getting some of these off.

Also....looking for the following parts if anyone can help.

Passenger side front fender

Rear view mirror

Right rear door bottom window channel (that holds the window)

Flywheel...I went to my tranny place and they said They don't turn them anymore they just buy new ones. I haven't seen any new ones for a 61 online...any ideas please let me know.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Got a lead on some parts Don.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Anyone know know why the square holes in my bumper are so much bigger than the square shank of the bumper bolts? I'm wondering if the bolts are not correct.
    Or if I buy new bolts...wondering if they will be bigger? I had a heck of a time getting some of these off.

Also....looking...

Rear view mirror

Flywheel...I went to my tranny place and they said They don't turn them anymore they just buy new ones. I haven't seen any new ones for a 61 online...any ideas please let me know.
    Don, I looked online to order new bolts for my pickup[ and they all wanted upward of $30 for a set. I bought 6, with nuts, from Tacoma Screw for less than $10. I have to polish the stainless caps, but that's easy. I can't tell from the picture what size yours are, but they sell them up to 9/16" thread diameter. I think the Falcons used 7/16" thread, but I got 1/2" for my pickup and they are still a little sloppy.

I was digging in my parts bins this weekend and found this:

mirrorbase1.jpg mirrorbase2.jpg

Yours if you need it. You can buy the mirror re-popped.

If you are talking "machining the flywheel surface" (assuming this is a clutch car), then 'buying new' is a joke. May be true for a newer car, or a Mustang of any year, but not a Falcon 6 cyl. Find a good local auto machine shop. They'll do it with the correct step height.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"