Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Technically Teflon tape is not a sealant. It keeps the threads from galling at best and may slow leakage down. But generally it is to allow mechanical sealing of tapered pipe threads. It will not lock anything in place. Loctite-type sealants lubricate the threads and have a sealing property 2nd to none.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Gotcha. Just put the order in for some permatex.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

That'll do ya.

Motor looks nice. You may find after bolting stuff on that your masking left bare metal exposed. You may want to hand-paint those areas once things get installed. But looks really nice. I'm fond of black motors these days.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Though I'd share some pics of the process Don's car is undergoing. These are examples of the way I remove dents and prep for epoxy.

This happens to be the driver's fender and I chose two dents on the crown near the door edge to show off.

The first is a shot of two deep dents from the backside of the fender, out of sequence, but the one with the steel rule shows the depth before I started. I roughed them out with a door skin dolly and hammer (has a nice high crown) and the next one is after working them a bit more. At this point, all my reference was from the exterior using a block with 80gr to show highs/lows.

I continued working the lows, slowly bringing them up and running a well worn body file over the surface to highlight what I was doing. Rather than take pictures after each step, I was just repeating the same one over and over until I was satisfied, I just took a few shots after I was finished.

More next post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil

The reference shots show the size of the small depressions remaining, about 2mm or so diameter and maybe a mil or so deep.

For gee whiz, I went ahead and lightly finished it off so there were virtually no depressions left.

So, the obvious question will be how long did this take? A little over an hour from start to metal finished condition. Never happen in a collision shop, those were maybe half hour dents from paint removal, bang 'em out, apply filler and ship to paint shop for primer. Good thing I'm not doing collision work anymore.
    Phil

Man...it's quiet out there on the forum lately.
    So, here are a few pics so you know Phil and I aren't sitting on our butts.
    Well....at least Phil isn't.
    Seriously though, it's hard to believe those are 50+ year old parts in those pics.
    Meanwhile, I'm working on the parts list and ordering tons of stuff....HOLY COW the cost of all those seals and little parts!!!
    Also working on painting lots of miscellaneous small parts, and starting to work on the trim.
    Last edited by dhbfaster; March 2nd, 2015 at 10:22 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

We're all just watching you work for a change.

I wish. It's been non-Falcon all the time of late. Sold my '67 pickup last week to another member and that has put me into an unexpected rush to finish-up the '66 before Spring and the need for the truck grows. Or before the May Swap Meet. Try and I might to avoid WIAI projects, they keep happening! Gene is heading out with a pile of metal to Steve's to powder coat probably today.

I think the others will slowly come out of hibernation and start working on their cars again.

The work I'm seeing done on your car is impeccable. I wish I had that much space to spread things out and work! Do yourself a favor, though, while it's all apart, buy some Dynamat sheets and put it everywhere you can. I did this to my wagon and Ranchero and it makes the joy of driving these cars all that. Not cheap stuff, but well worth it.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; September 28th, 2016 at 05:29 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"