Thread: Front Suspension- ALMOST as easy as it looks...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    But of course keep the nut on the shaft to not mangle the threads.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Ok, that's pretty much what I was trying to do, but I didn't really have good support under it. I'll give it another try. Thanks- all advice really appreciated.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Ball joint, bushing, spring mount, control arm replacement?

Back to the car tomorrow- but it's dawned on me that maybe I SHOULD replace some of this front suspension stuff? I don't want to spend more- but don't want to do it again. Of course, everything is already off the ground-so I can't do the test of the ball joints per the manual. It seems like the upper ball joints would take most the wear, and after the spring was off, they seemed very stiff -almost stuck-until they sort of broke loose after I worked them a bit. The shock mount is also VERY stiff even after I pumped new grease in there. (I have no idea how stiff they are supposed to be.) Amazingly- at summit, the ball joints cost the same as the replacement control arm WITH the ball joint already on it (And the bushing!?)? About $47 for the upper (with ball) and $47 for the lower, or $47 for just the upper ball joint! I wont like the painted control arms as much as powdercoated ones, but...You guys have clearly had lots of experience with this stuff- REALLY appreciate your comments.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Save youself some clean-up and get new control arms for upper and lower. With the Mustang stuff being repopped by the thousands as opposed to the teens for Falcons, it makes the cost so much lower. Not sure Summit would be the cheapest place, but any of the 6 cyl Mustang parts (64-66) will swap right in - less the drag-link which is a bit longer. For this you gotta use the Falcon part.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Just as a follow up- I ended up buying the tool in the picture- this thing works great. I used it to separate all the ball joints and the tie rod end. Put some oil on it- tighten up the bolt and "POP" they're apart. The first one scared the you know what out of me when it popped and I'm glad I had on safety glasses, but like I said it works great. Nothing like the feeling of success!

New upper and lower control arms ordered too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I thought this was it....it was supposed to be the weekend my front suspension was back on. WRONG! The posts on the ball joints on the new Dorman upper and lower control arms are too big! All the websites for these say they will fit 1960-1965 - WRONG. Was I smart enough to compare them to the old ones before I bolted them onto the car? NO The other ones were in a bin at my storage place. Fortunately, Summit just told me they will take them back (even though I put the grease fitting in etc.). Best I can figure out...I see the upper and lower ball joints for Falcons made BEFORE october 61 sold separately. (and they are expensive.) Average $100 EACH BALL. Then I still need the inner bushings. Ouch! (the Dorman parts were around $40 each for the entire control arm including the ball joint.) Is anyone familiar with this situation for 61 falcons? I've emailed Dorman. Maybe I'll know something in the morning. Meanwhile, I still have the rear spring mount to figure out, but darn I wanted to get this thing back on wheels so we could get the motor our soon.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Keep the parts you have and locate newer spindles.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*