Driving a 50 year old car as a daily driver is not the same as it might have been 50 years ago. Most of us have taken steps to make cars we don't even drive daily run more reliably, and I suspect you should be seriously considering this as well.

50 years ago the parts were all new and made in the USA. Now, they are either 50 years old or made in China.

You should consider eliminating the points and condenser and going to a Pertronix Igniter system (about the only system you can add to a 170 without doing deeper work). On a car that was running well at the time I did this upgrade. The improvement was dramatic. Plus, no adjustments, wear, tear - ever - make it a pain-free upgrade for the long-term. There is probably still the wire we installed to hook it up under the dash and in the engine bay.

On a side note, a story in this regard: I went to a regional meet in Oregon a few years ago and decided to continue south towards Grants Pass to visit my mother. Not long into the southern mountain passes my wagon started behaving badly. Bucking bronco on any hill. I barely made it to Grants Pass and instead of visiting my mom, I worked on the car. I replaced just about everything I could get my hands on locally. Nothing I replaced fixed it. One thing I put back in was points and condenser. I couldn't get a carb, nor did I have the means to rebuild it there, so I decided to nurse it back to Seattle. Not far out of town I said to myself "this is worse than it was coming down" - I mean I could barely get to 30 miles an hour on the freeway, whereas coming down it only ran bad trying to pull the hills. So, at a rest stop on the side of the freeway, I pulled the points and condenser and reinstalled the Pertronix. The change was noticeable and I was able to resume with the same condition I had coming down, but was able to at least pull the car to freeway speeds (except on the passes). The issue turned out to be the carburetor, but the moral of the story is that the Pertronix kit made even a bad carburetor less of an issue.

Now onto your stuff...

You have a 50 year old coil. You should replace it. The coil may be fine, now, but this is a daily driver and coils of this era were oil filled and their life isn't infinite. It may fail at any moment and the cost of a new one is cheaper than a tow.

You have a carburetor that, as you know, is as finicky as they can be - designed to run on 100% gas and not 90% gas/10% ethanol (AKA water). Though your options are limited here, as I've labored over before (both physically and verbally) they should be considered, at best, a concern for those wanting to drive the car daily. I'm hoping it hasn't failed this soon though.

Having put some miles on the car now, you may want him to verify the valves are still adjusted. New valves "seat themselves" and clearances tighten when they do so.

To recap, I would:

1) Upgrade to a Pertronix ignition system: http://tinyurl.com/ku5sqjs

2) Upgrade to a new coil. You can get the yellow-top coil to keep it period correct:
http://www.npdlink.com/store/product...1831-2871.html

3) Check the valves again.

4) Hope the carburetor is good, but consider it may be needed to have a carb shop (one who has a flow-bench available) rebuild it - and put a guarantee on it. Steve has a shop he uses specifically for this - and I think they send them out to have the work done. There are also ads on ebay for restoration services of the 1100 Autolite.