Thread: Dual Master Cylinder Conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've always recommended this document to get you started. And they are doing it on a Comet too!

http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/PDFs...erCylinder.pdf

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    I've always recommended this document to get you started. And they are doing it on a Comet too!

http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/PDFs...erCylinder.pdf
    That's where I started. After reading the entire thread I have a really good idea of the cleanest way to do this.
    It's the dressing of the lines from side to front that's unclear. Will the new master fit behind the old connections? Or is it one more thing not to sweat because the old lines are somewhat moveable.

It all depends how good your old lines are as to how well they'll move about. I've always used new lines on mine but have done a couple with existing lines. Feed those to the tee with 3-way 3/16 flare and new short line to M/C. If using hydraulic switch I used a 3/16 tee, but one branch was 1/8" pipe thread and still use a new short line to the M/C. The M/C lines both need larger fittings anyway, so get the 3/16 line to correct fitting size nuts and make a couple 12" lines and curl them into about 1.5" spools to give you nice looking adapter lines to the two tees. It doesn't matter if the brake switch goes into the front or rear of the M/C and the old lines hang out under the new M/C with these new short lines going down to them.

Don with Granddad's Falcon just got his plumbed last weekend so maybe he can post a picture. It will match what I last described.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Dennis has some pictures of his completed job about ten entries above this. That is exactly what was done to a few of our members cars during tech days when existing lines were used.

as Roger stated, the best route is all new lines, this coupler idea is a close second.
    Last edited by Jeff W; April 21st, 2016 at 08:29 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Darn...mine is "almost" done, but you know how that goes. Hopefully I can test it this weekend or next, but I don't want to publish any pics until then. Looks really nice though! (Thanks to Larry and Roger and Jeff and Kenny...)
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Here are some pics of my dual master install... believe it or not does fit.
    It's all bled and nothing leaks...but I still need to adjust the brakes, clutch, and tranny linkage before I can take it for a test drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Nice job bending and looping those lines! Looks like a clean install.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

This photo was sent to me by a friend that was at Hot August Nights in Reno. Is this some sort of quad master cylinder or am I missing something? Not sure exactly what I am looking at.

I am guessing it is in a 63 convertible by the toy on the air cleaner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Could be a dual MC and a dual hydraulic clutch? But why would you need a dual clutch assembly?? Interesting.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Really looks like 4 dual masters, but it's not really clear. I guess he figured that with all the restrictions he had with shock towers he'd capitalize on the available space without those and just go crazy, uh, I mean, rationally exuberant. Or maybe he's an engineer at Boeing and he's built in multiple redundancy.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"